Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lap weld stainless steel sheet

Hi all.
    I am new to this forum. Thanks for having me.
    I am fabricating a filleting table for filleting fish outside.(to avoid a divorce...) Using 1.2mm 304 sheet for the project.
    I have welded the one side of the basin to the table (lap), but found that the sheet distorts a lot.

Any tips on what to do and what to avoid?

Thanks

Ouch!

Wow man. That sounds expensive to replace at today's prices. Regardless of process it sounds like you are getting too much heat. Maybe because you are running one continous bead. Try running short stringers. By the way I've never seen a lap joint require the kind of heat that a corner joint ofr fillet has to have. Just my .02.

We need some more info. Do you have a picture. What process are you using? What color is the weld and the metal adjacent to it?

I assume you are using TIG and running a small diameter tungsten and filler rod. I ain't going to take much to warp 1.2mm SS out of kilter and /or burn through. Let us know.

Good Luck

HAWK
    Last edited by HAWK; 02-28-2011, 05:40 PM.

Comment

You know...

I was just think about your comment "to avoid a divorce". Perhaps a wooden picnic table is the best filet table (just kidding). I used and old plastic cooler for years (when I had a truck and bass boat b4 the divorce). I was married to the same woman almost 21 years before the awful nasty divorce.

Good luck on your SS table.

HAWK
      Last edited by HAWK; 02-28-2011, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Restaurant

I know it doesn't help the project much but I picked up a 60"x30" stainless prep table from a restaurant for 20 bucks. I travel around town alot for work so I always have my eyes peeled. I have also found them cheep at the restaurant supply stores in the used section.

This is the one I got for 20 bucks and altered it so that it had a 24" table and a 6" back splash. I only have about 30 minutes tig time under my belt but got it done with decent results.

Maybe something to think about for the future.

Good luck and I will watch for further instruction since I will someday need one with a sink cut into it.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
        Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
        Clarke 180 EN Just in case
        Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
        O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
        Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
        4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
        Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
        Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
        I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
        http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

Working...
        X