Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

11018 rod preheat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 11018 rod preheat

    anyone ever weld w/ a 11018 rod hy, preheat for a weld test or work w/ i think i gotta test w/ it next weak and need some inside advice, thx

  • #2
    What exactly are you asking ?

    I think you have to try to ask very definite structured questions. It is hard to understand exactly what you want to find answers for. The short hand style letters in place of words leaves many people annoyed. That being said, yes I have welded a fair amount of 11018 , and it should come out of an electrode stabilizing oven at around 250 degrees F , and depending on what type of work you are doing it should be gently preheated and maintain certain interpass temperatures for the procedure required. As far as for tests , what type of test are you being required to do? Hope this gives a twinkle of light in the direction you were hoping to go.
    I have a welding addiction

    ...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

    Comment


    • #3
      I forgot to ask

      What are you welding on , is it piping or repair type work? Wear plates or MED to High(er) carbon steels will require very controlled preheat and procedure to avoid overheating the Heat affected zone in the weld. You can have slightly dissimilar metals joined together , but they can crack easily and start to spiderweb crack out of control if you get it too hot . Tempil sticks or an infrared thermometer (better option) are very useful. I know some wear plates cutting lips on heavy earth moving stuff can be destroyed by exceeding 500 or 600 F inter pass temps.
      I have a welding addiction

      ...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

      Comment


      • #4
        11018 rod

        the test is at northrup grumman and i'm use to 7018 no problem, then they mentioned a 11018 test so i guess they'll set it up. was curious as to what type of test that would be strutural i guess, i wonder if they will heat it for me then do vert's and horizontal's with it. i don't know thought someone is familiar with grumman testing, thx

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mjz6150 View Post
          the test is at northrup grumman and i'm use to 7018 no problem, then they mentioned a 11018 test so i guess they'll set it up. was curious as to what type of test that would be strutural i guess, i wonder if they will heat it for me then do vert's and horizontal's with it. i don't know thought someone is familiar with grumman testing, thx
          They will give you a plate test with a backing strap and it will be verticle and overhead. They will heat it for you and then introduce you to tempil sticks to monitor your own interpass temperature. If the test is still the same as it was years ago it will be x-rayed and you will be allowed no defects at all. They have an on sight x-ray booth so you won't have to wait long. Run stringers on the test and run it like 7018. I used to give this test more years ago than I want to admit. You will use 1/8th rod.
          Good luck and take your time.
          Wheelchair
          Last edited by Wheelchair; 02-25-2011, 07:00 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Passed the same set of tests you are taking about a year ago. If you are in N.N. I probably walk by ya every morning. they will put it in a rig for ya tro keep it from pulling. You'll have H,O,V, tests to take, along with one u'll carbon arc backgouge (non xray) The instructor will most likely preheat for ya as you are most likely not torch qualified yet. Interpass is 300, you will be supplied a temp stick. Like metioned above, take your time, make sure ya grind on the toes and get any and all trapped slag out, the drop light will become a good friend, shine it down the root after each bead and make sure ya got clean metal. Good luck, and welcome to the yard

            Kinda surprised they are still giving tests with 110 rod, as they are starting to pahse it out I beleive, all I use on hy metal is 107
            Last edited by hockeyguynick; 02-26-2011, 02:41 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by hockeyguynick View Post
              The instructor will most likely preheat for ya as you are most likely not torch qualified yet.
              That's a new one! You have to qualify with a torch?
              '08 F-350
              Vantage 400
              SA-250
              SA-200
              Invertec V350Pro
              Invertec V205T-AC/DC

              Miller 12VS suitcase
              Miller spectrum 2050

              Pipe beveler's
              Track torch

              Comment


              • #8
                a lot of jobs start off as entry level, so they don't know your history with tools. You have to qualify for just about everything we do pretty much. That, and it's a safety thing, shipboard fires are not good. We get into a lot of very tight very confined spaces, if someone is down there who doesnt know what they are doing, everyone could be in real danger. Plus, we have a lot of apprentices....
                Last edited by hockeyguynick; 02-26-2011, 05:28 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by hockeyguynick View Post
                  Passed the same set of tests you are taking about a year ago. If you are in N.N. I probably walk by ya every morning. they will put it in a rig for ya tro keep it from pulling. You'll have H,O,V, tests to take, along with one u'll carbon arc backgouge (non xray) The instructor will most likely preheat for ya as you are most likely not torch qualified yet. Interpass is 300, you will be supplied a temp stick. Like metioned above, take your time, make sure ya grind on the toes and get any and all trapped slag out, the drop light will become a good friend, shine it down the root after each bead and make sure ya got clean metal. Good luck, and welcome to the yard

                  Kinda surprised they are still giving tests with 110 rod, as they are starting to pahse it out I beleive, all I use on hy metal is 107
                  They make you take a horizontal test now, in the old days we only took verticle and overhead and you got one chance, no repairs. Interesting as horizontal was only for practice. Do they still give 32 exercises before you prove that you are ready to test.

                  Wheelchair

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    carbon arc

                    not to familiar w/ carbon arc, is that gonna mess my test up.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      IIRC, I did have to take a Horiz. test. And well, it kinda depends on how good ya do practicing. I had previous welding experience so I just welded up a couple plates of fillets, one practice butt, and my test. Passed all tests on first try, only failed one pipe in pipe school, and that was CuNi stick. Some guys welded up plate after plate after plate till the instructor felt they had good enough bead placement to take the test.

                      When ya weld up a butt after carbon arcing, they don't xray it, so no it wont mess ya up, they just want ya to get experience. Carbon arc is used for backgouging, it's that loud thing they are doing outside. It's kinda sorta like plasma cutting combined with arc welding. You use a carbon stick and air pressure to melt away metal, then blast it outta the groove. You'll weld up an open root butt plate, then gouge out the backside till you remove the fusion line, then go back inside and fill in that groove and cap it off. They will explain it to ya, nothing to get worked up about. It's just a quicker way than grinding to remove metal.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        no surprises

                        gonna travel from baltimore, about 4 hrs . that's why alot of question's, don't wanna screw this up! thank's. wanna practice up at school for a couple of day's before i come down anyway.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Your welcome, I came down from nortern Ohio for this job, so I know how ya feel. I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Biggest thing is being safety concious, follow their rules, and try to stay in your booth welding, they like that, lol. they give you plenty of practice there, too. But it never hurts to go in there prepared... Good Luck! Oh, and dont bother bringing any tools or your sheild, I did, and its all out in my truck still, lol. they supply everything you need. Just a welding cap, steel toe boots (8" minimum), and a leather jacket if ya got one is what i would reccommend.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            welding jobs

                            just saved me 100.00 buck's by tellin me that, have an miller elite but don't weld overhead w/ it burned my lens up quick, gonna work for a contractor there, perennial i guess hope it work's out, anyway thank's again, mark

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mjz6150 View Post
                              not to familiar w/ carbon arc, is that gonna mess my test up.
                              I did a 1G 7018 a few weeks ago and carbon arc was part of the test. That was a first for me too on a test...Bob
                              Bob Wright

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X