Mm200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mm200

I bought a MM200 a few months ago and have been using it a bit just to make a few small repairs. I was welding up a muffler and went to hang the ground on the handle and it hit the front panel and started acring. Can't figure out how this could happen. I thought the ground and frame were together, and the frame/front panel isn't live or anything. Also wondering about the best settings for 1/4" steel. I have been using #3 Hi and 57% but it hardly seems hot enough. But i'm not crazy about the bead that #4 Hi and 70% gives. Do i just play with it until I get what I want? Really looking for a flatter hotter bead. TIA for all replies.

What size wire and type of gas are you using?...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

Check for either the HI or LOW output plug receptacles shorted to the welder chassis.

Based on your numbers I take it you're working with .035" wire and the figures in the charts are a starting point and adjust as needed from there.

A couple photos of your beads would help in giving any recommendations.
      MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
      Syncrowave 180 SD
      Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
      *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
      *HF-251D-1
      *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
      PakMaster 100XL
      Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
      http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Definately check the high/low plugs as it is a very common thing to happen. The pastic insulators get melted/cracked etc. & short to the front panel. If your plug is shorting out it will affect your weld.

With .035 bare wire I run it on low tap 6 at about 50 & high tap 1 at 55-60. For thicker I go to high tap 2 at 60.
        MM250
        Trailblazer 250g
        22a feeder
        Lincoln ac/dc 225
        Victor O/A
        MM200 black face
        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
        Arco roto-phase model M
        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
        Miller spectrum 875
        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
        Syncrowave 250
        RCCS-14

Comment

I'm running .035 wire and C25 gas

Comment

Posted , wouldn't show up, so I posted again and both showed up.
            Last edited by jeolvv; 02-21-2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks alot for all the help. I checked the taps and the low side was shorting out because someone had taken it out to fix the wire and put the plastic washer on the outside instead of the inside where it belongs to isolate it. It seems to weld a bit better now. I also did some test welds at Hi 3 & 4 at 62% and both seemed to work pretty good. 4 was likely a bit hot but for slant bar hot is better than cold. Again, thank you to everyone for their help.
              Last edited by jeolvv; 02-21-2011, 08:47 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Thanks for the follow up.

Always nice to hear about the fix and you never knows when someone else may benefit from your experience.
                MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
                Syncrowave 180 SD
                Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
                *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
                *HF-251D-1
                *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                PakMaster 100XL
                Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
                http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

The welding chart supplied with the MM200 Is for 100% co2. Just back off a the voltage 1 or 2 steps for C25 gas. Just a point of information. You found one short. look around and make sure there aren't any more. Also look for connections that are heating up and getting ready to melt and burn apart.
                  Glenn 300 amp stick
                  Millermatic 35
                  L-tec plasma

Comment

Working...
                  X