Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct settings for .100" aluminum

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Correct settings for .100" aluminum

    Hi

    Info

    .100"aluminum 5052
    Miller 211/Spoolmate 100
    0.30 wire/100% argon

    In reading some other threads here someone posted the correct setting for this type/thickness of material was 5/75 (current/wire feed), however my manual says 10/75 for 14 guage (which is a bit thinner, but in the ballpark). They recommend 2/60 for 18 gauge and 3/70 for 16 gauge, so 10/75 seems like a huge jump.

    I've been experimenting and current settings between 5 and 7 I'm getting globular transfer and not enough penetration. I only have access to 110v, and the 211 requires 220v for current of 8 and above, so I haven't been able to get spray transfer (which is I believe what I want for this?).

    Anyone know if the current settings are a misprint or have any other advice? I want to make sure I'm in the ballpark since I'm not getting the weld I want.

    Thanks.

  • #2
    1st, if your house has an electric dryer, you are one adapter away from running on 220.

    2nd, you will find that .100 is going to be a challange.

    You most likely don't have enough wire speed.

    So
    1) Make sure the wire feed path on your spool gun is perfectly straight. Then adjust the tension. Smooth feed of wire is crucial.

    2) Clean. dedicated stainless steel wire brush. Clean off where you are going to weld and hit where the work clamp is going to go. The oxides on the aluminum are going to take more heat than the insides. So by the time you melt the outside piece, the inside has already liquified. You basically go from no penetration to all the way through. As for the work clamp, every volt counts. You don't want to waste a volt because you didn't have a good ground.

    3) Stickout - MIG on aluminum is a spray transfer process. You want 3/4 work distance. Adjust the nozzle on the spool gun so the tip recesses about 1/4". So your nozzle to aluminum distance should be about 1/2". You going to move in the push direction. Set your flow to 25-30cfh (quite frankly I haven't seen any difference from 25 up to about 35).

    As for 'globular'. If you don't have enough wire speed, it can put the aluminum down like spitballs. Looks like bird poop. Also, if you are having trouble with burn back, your wire speed isn't high enough. Try turning wire speed up. I think the 211 says something like 85-90.

    If all goes well, you should be able to watch the wire vaporize. A nice steady cone. If you find the cones changing shape or size - either you aren't maintaining your work distance or the wire feed isn't steady.
    Last edited by con_fuse9; 02-21-2011, 06:38 PM.
    Con Fuse!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    -Spoolmatic 30A

    Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
    Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
    Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

    Comment


    • #3
      It is not a mis-print:

      Aloominum sucks up more heat so Mo' heat is required
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

      Comment


      • #4
        That's very helpful, thank you. I hooked up my DC welder just to test and noticed I got much better results with two 12v batteries that I did with a 12v and a 6v, so it does require a lot of juice.

        I'll wire for 220v, follow these suggestions and see how it goes.

        If .100" is too thick, can I get around it by running a bead on each side (if I'm not getting full penetration)?

        Thanks again.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Garnet View Post
          If .100" is too thick, can I get around it by running a bead on each side (if I'm not getting full penetration)?

          Thanks again.
          Maybe a small gap in the parts and some preheat with a small propane torch will help. But i agree 220v is the only way to go...Bob
          Bob Wright

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Garnet View Post
            Hi

            Info

            .100"aluminum 5052
            Miller 211/Spoolmate 100
            0.30 wire/100% argon

            In reading some other threads here someone posted the correct setting for this type/thickness of material was 5/75 (current/wire feed), however my manual says 10/75 for 14 guage (which is a bit thinner, but in the ballpark). They recommend 2/60 for 18 gauge and 3/70 for 16 gauge, so 10/75 seems like a huge jump.

            I've been experimenting and current settings between 5 and 7 I'm getting globular transfer and not enough penetration. I only have access to 110v, and the 211 requires 220v for current of 8 and above, so I haven't been able to get spray transfer (which is I believe what I want for this?).

            Anyone know if the current settings are a misprint or have any other advice? I want to make sure I'm in the ballpark since I'm not getting the weld I want.

            Thanks.
            "says 10/75 for 14 guage." 14.ga what???
            that must be for steel right? Not aluminum.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
              It is not a mis-print:

              Aloominum sucks up more heat so Mo' heat is required
              The aluminum is sucking up heat because it is giving off the heat at a very rapid rate. BUT.....IT depends how LARGE this weldment of aluminum is.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Donald Branscom View Post
                "says 10/75 for 14 guage." 14.ga what???
                that must be for steel right? Not aluminum.
                I think you are correct- I didn't look at the manual before I posted but 14g Aloominm should be set to 6/85 when on 120v (starting point)
                Ed Conley
                http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                MM252
                MM211
                Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                TA185
                Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                O/A set
                SO 2020 Bender
                You can call me Bacchus

                Comment

                Working...
                X