Tig noob with a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig noob with a few questions

1. How dose the XMT 304 cc\cv compare as a tig machine, other than a coolmate dose the machine need any add-ons ( not talking about pedal and torch ).

2. Whats the thickest piece of aluminum anyone has welded with this machine.

3. dose a mixed gas 75% argon 25% carbon dioxide work for tig for a noob. I only ask because its what i have on hand.

4. Is a HF unit NEEDED to tig weld ALUMINUM with a dc inverter machine

any input would be appreciated. I am currently taking welding classes and figured the best way to get more seat time is to use my machine when not in class.
    Last edited by BELLBOYMOTORSPORTS; 02-16-2011, 06:32 AM.

1. I don't know

2. I don't know

3. I don't use C25 on aluminum it makes my tungstins explode. I use strate argon or helium on it. However C25 is ok on steel. Argon is more expencive then C25 but it works better on aluminum. I even have it on spool gun. but to get to a point i only use argon on my tig machine because it works. there maby a book ansewer but i can't rember it. and a good refernce is the U.S. Army TC 9-237
    weld to live live to ride

Comment

Dude, you HAVE to use straight argon when you TIG. I know it hurts to go out and get another tank but it's a necessity.
      The CO2 WILL make your tungsten explode.
      Go to the resources page here on the Miller site and read the TIG welding book online. It's a GREAT help and will answer ALL of your questions.
      Good luck.
      Measure twice, cut ONCE............

MillerMatic 211
      MillerMatic 251
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX
      ESAB O/A Equipment

Comment

I will admit that my main goal and reason for learning tig welding is to do custom fab stuff mainly for my self and family plus i have always wanted to learn it. I do alot of off roading and am trying to modify what i have to assist me in getting a tig welding job so i could eventually get a dynasty machine or something see as how that what i will be learning because those are the only machines my school has i think they have about 20 or so

Comment

By the type of questions you are asking, you really need to put some effort in find some of this info on your own. Use the search function or go to Miller's web site and read up.

That machine will not tig Al but will mig it. On the tig side you need to find out if it will suppurt a foot or hand remote.

Comment

Originally posted by JayO View Post
            By the type of questions you are asking, you really need to put some effort in find some of this info on your own. Use the search function or go to Miller's web site and read up.

That machine will not tig Al but will mig it. On the tig side you need to find out if it will suppurt a foot or hand remote.

The machine will support a pedal or remote that part i have already checked on. The part about aluminum i did not know and could not get a straight answer on so thank you for that.

Comment

This machine does not have a/c. Cannot be used for tig aluminum.
              2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
              1- Blue star 185
              1- BOBCAT 250
              1- TRAILBLAZER 302
              1- MILLER DVI
              2- PASSPORT PLUS
              1- DYNASTY 200 DX
              1- DYNASTY 280 DX
              1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
              1- HF-251 BOX
              1- S-74D
              1- S-75DXA
              2- 12-RC SUITCASES
              1- 8-VS SUITCASE
              2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Originally posted by JayO View Post

Whenever I use the search function it gives me strange results. Or maybe I am just computer illiterate :-)
                Welding Machines For Sale

http://www.weldingmachinesforsale.net

Comment

Go to the resources/improving your skills section on this site. It will take you to Miller's TIG resources. I think you'll find most of the answers there.
                  Lincoln AC/DC Buzz Box (where it all began)
                  DialArc 250
                  Syncrowave 180 SD
                  MM 251

Comment

Originally posted by BELLBOYMOTORSPORTS View Post
                    1. How dose the XMT 304 cc\cv compare as a tig machine, other than a coolmate dose the machine need any add-ons ( not talking about pedal and torch ).

3. dose a mixed gas 75% argon 25% carbon dioxide work for tig for a noob. I only ask because its what i have on hand.

any input would be appreciated. I am currently taking welding classes and figured the best way to get more seat time is to use my machine when not in class.
                    Does not dose. Dose is like a dose of medicine.

The XMT 304 is not really a TIG machine.
                    Those inverter machines were made for stick welding and made small so they could be lifted up on a building in a metal rack with 6 or more machines.

Yes, HF ,AC current continuous is required TIG weld aluminum.
                    To weld Aluminum you need a constant current machine with AC.
                    The CC/CV is more oriented to be hooked up with a Mig wire feeder.
                    IT can be hooked up with a aluminum spool gun too I believe. Check the Miller welds website for all the info.

TIG welding requires straight Argon.

One more thing...
                    When welding aluminum it is the total size of the weldment that will determine how much heat/amperage will be required, because aluminum is trying to give off its heat very rapidly.
                    It could be a thick part - but if it is only 4 inches square it cannot have enough surface area to give off heat.
                    Last edited by Donald Branscom; 02-17-2011, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Branscom View Post
                      Does not dose. Dose is like a dose of medicine.

The XMT 304 is not really a TIG machine.
                      Those inverter machines were made for stick welding and made small so they could be lifted up on a building in a metal rack with 6 or more machines.

Yes, HF ,AC current continuous is required TIG weld aluminum.
                      To weld Aluminum you need a constant current machine with AC.
                      The CC/CV is more oriented to be hooked up with a Mig wire feeder.
                      IT can be hooked up with a aluminum spool gun too I believe. Check the Miller welds website for all the info.

TIG welding requires straight Argon.

One more thing...
                      When welding aluminum it is the total size of the weldment that will determine how much heat/amperage will be required, because aluminum is trying to give off its heat very rapidly.
                      It could be a thick part - but if it is only 4 inches square it cannot have enough surface area to give off heat.

THANK YOU this is the type of answer I was looking for I really appreciate it.

Comment

The XMT's are great TIG machines for carbon steel and the such. No it doesn't have AC output for aluminum welding. We use them every day in the nuclear power industry for welds on carbon steel, chrome steels, stainless steels, and pretty much everything else (you don't see much aluminum here). The XMT 304 is an excellent multi process machine that will allow you to weld on a variety of materials with multiple processes (stick, mig and tig) with the proper accessories (wire feeder, remotes).
                        Chris

Comment

I hope this helps...

1. The XMT 304 uses the CC function for DC GTAW. It is a DC TIG
                          machine only. If welding with 125 amps or less an air cooled torch
                          will work fine (up to 200 amps for short periods). Sure you can use a
                          water cooled torch and a cooler such as a Coolmate 3 or Coolmate 4.
                          There is no high frequency starter so touch start the arc.

It has been a few years, but I think you can control the
                          amperage with a 14 pin hand remote or a foot pedal. make sure the
                          machine has a remote TIG function on the selector knob. I am pretty
                          sure it does if memory serves me well.

The XMT 304 has a very nice GTAW arc. It does not have the arc
                          control of specialized GTAW machines such as the Dynasty series by
                          Miller. The unit has one of the sweetest SMAW (stick) arcs
                          available and also burns a very nice GMAW (MIG) arc.

2. Aluminum requires AC for GTAW.. The XMT does not have AC.
                          The XMT 304 is capable of DC GTAW of aluminum which is used in specialized
                          applications at NASA, aircraft companies, and some others.
                          I do not recommend it nor will I get into the subject here.

For the record:
                          I have run DC GTAW with an XMT 304
                          on 1" aluminum with great success. It was a specialty contract.

The XMT is capable of GMAW (MIG) welding of aluminum with a
                          remote weeder such as the Miller 12RC.

3. 100% argon is required for most GTAW applications.
                          Argon/CO2 mixtures DO NOT work with GTAW.

4. Get AC high freq off the brain with the XMT 304. It is not an option
                          with this unit. Test drive a Miller Dynasty 200DX if you are really
                          interested in TIG welding aluminum.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

HAWK

Last edited by HAWK; 02-27-2011, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK View Post

1. The XMT 304 uses the CC function for DC GTAW. It is a DC TIG
                            machine only. If welding with 125 amps or less an air cooled torch
                            will work fine (up to 200 amps for short periods). Sure you can use a
                            water cooled torch and a cooler such as a Coolmate 3 or Coolmate 4.
                            There is no high frequency starter so touch start the arc.

It has been a few years, but I think you can control the
                            amperage with a 14 pin hand remote or a foot pedal. make sure the
                            machine has a remote TIG function on the selector knob. I am pretty
                            sure it does if memory serves me well.

The XMT 304 has a very nice GTAW arc. It does not have the arc
                            control of specialized GTAW machines such as the Dynasty series by
                            Miller. The unit has one of the sweetest SMAW (stick) arcs
                            available and also burns a very nice GMAW (MIG) arc.

2. Aluminum requires AC for GTAW.. The XMT does not have AC.
                            The XMT 304 is capable of DC GTAW of aluminum which is used in specialized
                            applications at NASA, aircraft companies, and some others.
                            I do not recommend it nor will I get into the subject here.

For the record:
                            I have run DC GTAW with an XMT 304
                            on 1" aluminum with great success. It was a specialty contract.

The XMT is capable of GMAW (MIG) welding of aluminum with a
                            remote weeder such as the Miller 12RC.

3. 100% argon is required for most GTAW applications.
                            Argon/CO2 mixtures DO NOT work with GTAW.

4. Get AC high freq off the brain with the XMT 304. It is not an option
                            with this unit. Test drive a Miller Dynasty 200DX if you are really
                            interested in TIG welding aluminum.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

HAWK

Thanks Hawk that actually helps alot there is actually a hf unit that can be hooked to this machine im simply sorting out my options as to using a machine i already have and buying a new machine as it stands personally i dont plan on doing any aluminum for myself however the school im going to has about 20 dynasty 350 machines which is what i am learning to tig with they say practice makes perfect which is why i am looking into upgrading the machine i have but i dont want a diversion because when im where i wanna be i need a machine that can handle some thick stuff because i am currently a diesel and heavy equipment mechanic

Comment

Working...
                            X