Scrap Value of old Miller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrap Value of old Miller?

Does anybody have any experience with scrapping out a old coil type machine? I have a Miller 330A BP and I am wondering what its worth? I know it weighs ~700lbs but I dont know how much of that is copper. I hate to do this to a working machine but it's been for sale for a while and it's not moving.

Looks like the copper would be 2-3 bucks a lb if harvested and prepared right. I see my local Miller/Lincoln dealer is buying used welders for scrap. The same welders he sold a few years ago are a premium for scrap...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

i just bought a lincoln idealarc 300, built in 1958, my insurance policy on that machine is that if it dies i can scrap it, im not sure as to what its worth but i do know most of the weight is copper and aluminum, its funny, that thing runs smoother than all of the late model welders that i own

Comment

http://www.metalprices.com/

Comment

where do you live and how much for the welder?

Comment

Originally posted by Helios View Post

Really what I am looking for is someone who has scraped out a welder like this before and what I can expect. I would probably opt to drop off the whole unit rather than strip it down my self.

thanks

Comment

Unless it's stripped and separated you aren't going to get premium copper scrap prices out of it. My guess is $100-150 as it sits. Everything except the main transformer basically falls under "white goods". If it's complete and in working condition, you might consider donating it to a local non-profit organization or school and claiming it as a tax write-off.

If you really want to get rid of it today, why don't you just make a "for sale" post listing where are you located and your bottom line price? I'm sure someone here would be interested in it.
              2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
              2005 Miller Passport 180

Comment

To scrap out a good welding machine is CRAZY!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!

That welding machine will be around making things worth far more than any scrap price!!

Very foolish move!!!

Just one trailer made with that welding machine will sell for more than the copper.
                And it could make many things.
                The transformer machines were very good and reliable.
                STILL ARE.

Yeah I BET Miller would buy those. they could make 3 or 4 welding machines with that copper.
                Last edited by Donald Branscom; 02-15-2011, 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by MR.57 View Post
                  Unless it's stripped and separated you aren't going to get premium copper scrap prices out of it. My guess is $100-150 as it sits. Everything except the main transformer basically falls under "white goods". If it's complete and in working condition, you might consider donating it to a local non-profit organization or school and claiming it as a tax write-off.

If you really want to get rid of it today, why don't you just make a "for sale" post listing where are you located and your bottom line price? I'm sure someone here would be interested in it.
                  I agree !!!

And go to www.clubchopper.com or any other auto or motorcycle website, there are lots of young guys that really would like to have a welding machine!!
                  Please do not scrap those machines!!

Comment

Welding machine =copper = more bullets to kill your kids. STUPID.

And think about this..... To get that copper from that welding machine is going to be a LOT OF WORK AND
                    the wire is sprayed with laquer so you won't get clean copper price.
                    Everyone in the welding community should come down hard on this issue.

Many people are stealing brass,copper, and bronze and cutting up or stealing ( I won't say what)
                    to get a little pocket money. All the foreign countries will have our brass shell casings and many people will be hurt or killed. Is it really worth the copper,brass or bronze stealing to do that?
                    Last edited by Donald Branscom; 02-15-2011, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                      Looks like the copper would be 2-3 bucks a lb if harvested and prepared right. I see my local Miller/Lincoln dealer is buying used welders for scrap. The same welders he sold a few years ago are a premium for scrap...Bob
                      You better think about how much work that is going to take and all of the cutting and grinding etc.,.
                      Also a lot of those copper windings are soaked in laquer. You will not get clean copper price.
                      A lot of it will be copper dust all over the ground.

Then you have to get rid of all the other stuff.
                      Gas and fees to go to the dump.

Sell it as a welding machine.
                      Many people would be glad to have a welding machine.

Comment

This issue really pushes my buttons.
                        The Miller 300ABP is still a good machine.

I hope someone buys this machine so MARC does nor scrap it.

A lot of young guys would really love to have a welding machine that good.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Branscom View Post
                          You better think about how much work that is going to take and all of the cutting and grinding etc.,.
                          Also a lot of those copper windings are soaked in laquer. You will not get clean copper price.
                          Yup know all about that. I have been a scrapper my whole life working for my dad when i was a teen tearing apart old gen welders and transformers full of then little known PCB's. We had big fires everynight burning copper then cooking hotdogs on the coals. I burned copper for years after that in my woodburner in my basement doing car starters and alternators cooking the copper and alum. But i too hate to see good machines go for scrap...Bob
                          Bob Wright

Comment

The economy in the Rust Belt must be a disaster. Such machines sell for at least 5 to 7 hundred bucks in the Southeast, and don't stay on Craigslist very long.

Regional demand for different welding machines is interesting....

Throw it up on this forum. Someone in road trip range would likely come get it. If not, Ebay that puppy. Much more money for you, and you don't have to haul it off.

Comment

It's the same way with old metal lathes. 2 years ago they were bringing top buck say 1,000.00 - 1,200.00 for a nice SBL. Now you can buy them for 350 all day long. My basement won't hold anymore. I bought one for 350 and sold 2 un needed items for 375 so i have a free machine. I looked at a SBL metal shaper 3 years ago in Detroit for 1200.00 and bought one 3 blocks from my house for 300 that prob had less use on it but needed a pretty paint job...Bob
                              Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X