millermatic185/no arc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• millermatic185/no arc

I have a Millermatic 185 that will not arc. I have sent it out several times and am still running into the same problem. First I was told that the Welder was fine and the problem was in the power in the shop. I had an electrician come in and test the power and everything is fine. Next, I was told the contactor failed. It was replaced. Same problem. Next I was told the wire feed control was the problem. It was replaced. Same problem. Next I was told that the whip was to blame. New whip. Guess what?

It seems that the welder will work for a short period of time and then the arc will quit. It still feeds the wire though. It also seems that every time I send it out, the length of time it works befor it quits shortens. This last time about 30 seconds.

Can anyone help me.

Next time you send it out, ask the tech to put it on a load bank for a while to actually see if the unit quits.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      Next time you send it out, ask the tech to put it on a load bank for a while to actually see if the unit quits.
      I have been told that they put it on a load bank and that they even had a welder come in and try the unit and all seemed fine. I know that it is not a building power issue because I have taken the unit to our second location in the city and it still will not work. Once it quits,it will not work again.

Comment

Thats a toughy to say the least. If I had to guess, I'd say you have a stabilizer winding failure. Thats the only thing I can think of as its occured before on other machines.

Naturally its odd as the unit supposedly worked at the service shop for a longer duration. Alot of shops are quick fixit, In other words, get it in and get it out ASAP, then make up a story of what went wrong. Without ever finding the route cause of the failure in the first place.

Comment

Well because the wire is still feeding it really narrows things down. The secondary side of the unit only has a few items in it.

If the contactor is pulling in every time then you most likely either have a bad selector switch (the big 6 position switch), gun or work cable/clamp.

First thing to do is attach a volt meter to the red and black studs. Weld with the unit and when it acts up look at the meter while trying to weld. If you have good voltage at the studs when it won't weld then you have a gun or work cable/clamp issue. If the voltage at the studs disapears then the problem is internal.

If the problem is internal do a visual inspection of the 6 position switch just by taking it loose from the front panel and pulling it away a little bit. If the contacts look all burnt up you probably will want to replace the switch.

If the contactor is not pulling in when this happens then I would suspect bad points on the CR-1 relay or a bad wire connection somewhere.

If you follow these steps you should locate the cause. Give us a call if you need help and we can walk you through it.

920-735-4505
          Kevin Schuh
          Service Technician
          Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Comment

Millermatic185

I liked reading this post. I have a MillerMatic185 too. Apparently not a real common machine. It has been great to own and has done a tremendous amount of work for me and members of my family. Overhauled a 20 ft Batwing Mower with all new plate, structural steel frame to support a lake front house, 80 feet of complicated handrail, and on and on. Best $1200.00 I've put into a tool. Looking at buying a Dynasty
            200 XD or a Syncrowave 200 TIG machine. Here in Lexington, Kentucky we seem to have only one welding distributor that has a showroom of welding tools but not a lot of welding equipment in stock. Somehow seeing a Tech Rep posting repair diagnostic information here on the Bulletin Board (for Free) gives me a more comfortable feeling about owning Miller Equipment - even if I didn't win the weld station!

Comment

Originally posted by Weld-O-Matic View Post
              I liked reading this post. I have a MillerMatic185 too. Apparently not a real common machine.
              It was a common machine 13 or so years ago its just dated a little now. I sure like mine too...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
              X