165 foot control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 165 foot control

New to the forum..new at my Diversion 165..I am considering picking up a foot control and am wondering if the Miller unit [pedal] is 'ok' for hobbyist stuff or if I should look for something a bit more substantial? I have seen the Miller controller for 139...thanks
    Attached Files

I made a pedal for my 165 for about $20 that works great, so I'll bet Miller can do the same thing. I, also, added a switch on my pedal that allows for reversing the amps ramping pot to allow for pulsing at full selected amps... something Miller's pedal can't do.

Comment

Sounds like a foot control made by a company called SSC controls makes a pretty solid unit made of all steel with a lower profile and sells for less than a hundred bucks. Also it is made in the usa with 1 year warranty. Hope this helps ya.

Comment

I looked at both and the SSC is definitely better. Price is about the same. SSC for me.
        John
        Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
        Miller Diversion 165
        1945 Craftsman Atlas Lathe
        Smithy Lathe/Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Goodhand View Post
          I made a pedal for my 165 for about $20 that works great, so I'll bet Miller can do the same thing. I, also, added a switch on my pedal that allows for reversing the amps ramping pot to allow for pulsing at full selected amps... something Miller's pedal can't do.
          Now try to sell your 20 dollar pedal with a warranty, shipping, Liability insurance, Product insurance etc etc.

Good luck at keeping it at 20 bux
          Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
            Now try to sell your 20 dollar pedal with a warranty, shipping, Liability insurance, Product insurance etc etc.

Good luck at keeping it at 20 bux
            Why would I try to sell it for what it cost me to make? I don't know of anyone that does that. I made my pedal to save some money after looking at a few examples of other homebuilts, wanting to keep the design as simple as possible. I think I achieved my goal.

I didn't mean to imply that Miller could make and sell a pedal for $20. I just thought that, if I could make a pedal that worked great, Miller could, surely, do the same. Sorry for my poorly worded sentence.
            Last edited by Goodhand; 02-05-2011, 07:02 PM.

Comment

The foot pedal that came with my diversion

I really like my new diversion 180..I got it on monday..I read about some problems with the foot pedal ..Tonight I was using mine and halfway through the session the pedal was noticably harder to push down on..I kinda like it that way now , because it was way too touchy before..But i dont want it to get worse or fail, any ideas on what can be causing this?If its just a spring or something im not too worried

Comment

ssc

Ended up getting the SSC pedal..the folks there are knowledgeable and helpful..the unit is 'plug and play'.....thanks for the comments...

Comment

Originally posted by ouch View Post
                  Sounds like a foot control made by a company called SSC controls makes a pretty solid unit made of all steel with a lower profile and sells for less than a hundred bucks. Also it is made in the usa with 1 year warranty. Hope this helps ya.
                  I looked on the ssccontrols website and on eBay. Where are the SSC pedals available for less than a hundred bucks?

Comment

SSC Control pedal

I have a 165 and am also looking for a pedal. for the guys with either the SSC or Miller pedal how does it work as far as starting and stopping the HF arc. If you add the pedal, do you still start and stop the arc with the switch, pedal, or can you use either. If it switches with the pedal I would imagine it engages the HF start also. Any help is much appreciated.

Comment

pedal

SC...for what its worth...I talked to the folks at SSC and bought their unit...once plugged into the 165 it 'overides' the controls on the torch. I really enjoy the additon on the foot control..If my table ground is good..it fires off everytime..a really heavy duty piece as well...hope this helps

Comment

The foot pedal starts the arc as soon as you push it. Don't need the hand controls anymore. If you do need them, just unplug the FC and now they work again.
                        JD
                        Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
                        Miller Diversion 165
                        1945 Craftsman Atlas Lathe
                        Smithy Lathe/Mill

Comment

Thanks, now I just need to decide which to go with.

Comment

Working...
                          X