Bernard Gun Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernard Gun Question

Just set up my 350 yesterday and have not even struck an arc! This is my first Bernard gun. It came with a jump liner that was not installed. I took the gun apart and it did not have a jump liner installed, but the liner from the machine was continuous to the the tip. I am assuming that the part of the liner that will fail first is at the neck of the guy and that once it does I can trim the long liner back and install the jump liner?

If the above is correct, when you change wire size, do you need to change the entire liner or can you just change the jump liner when going to a smaller wire?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim

350P
    Dynasty 200dx
    Millermatic 250X
    Passport Plus
    Hypertherm 900 W/RT60
    Bobcat 225

The Jump Liner installs in the Neck of the Gun because this is where the liner wears the most, due to the bend of the neck. It is also promoted that you can leave the regular liner in and just change the jump liner when you are running smaller wire. However, I have been told by some you should change the regular liner to match the smaller wire size as well to keep it from bunching inside the larger liner you would normally run.

I have a Bernard 300 with 3545 liner installed. I have the jump liner to match but have not installed it yet. I have been trying to get 2330 jump liners but can't source them very easy and AirGas won't sell them to me in multiples less than 10 when I only want 2 on hand, don't use 0.023 wire that often anyway.

There should be instructions with the jump liner to tell you how much to cut back the regular liner, the stick out will match up to the jump liner for a seamless liner transition. You should be able to download the instructions from the Bernard Website if yours are missing from the package.
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

Comment

I had a Bernard gun on an Axcess 300. The gun was nothing but headaches! There was no much drag in the liners and tips, and the jumpliner I tried made it even worse. The (free) advice I have is to return, or exchange the thing for a Binzel or a Tweco.
      Jeff Lund
      Lund Machine Works
      www.lundmachine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lund Machine Works View Post
        I had a Bernard gun on an Axcess 300. The gun was nothing but headaches! There was no much drag in the liners and tips, and the jumpliner I tried made it even worse. The (free) advice I have is to return, or exchange the thing for a Binzel or a Tweco.
        Sounds like something in your wire feed system was set up incorectly.

I personally like the Bernards, especially the ones with the swivel necks, they come in handy in awkward positions. The centrefire consumables are excellent quality as well, I figured they were a bit of a gimmick but after using them for a while I'm convinced.
        Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

BigBlue 500D
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 211
        4' Box and Pan Break
        IR compressor

Comment

Working...
        X