Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Drive Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Engine Drive Question

    Just gonna vent here for a minute...

    What a stupid feature it is for engine drive's to run at full speed when they are started. I assume the fuel injected ones do this too? No better way to shorten an engines life than to rev a cold engine.

    ps. My Honda lawn mower runs PERFECT in any weather on low idle immediately after starting, so why can't a Kohler? Do they just want our engines to not last too long?

  • #2
    Its both to prevent fuel flooding starting and when you shut it off, back firing. Besides they go to idle once they have oil presure. Doesn't hurt the engine one way or the other.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by atc250r View Post
      Just gonna vent here for a minute...

      What a stupid feature it is for engine drive's to run at full speed when they are started. I assume the fuel injected ones do this too? No better way to shorten an engines life than to rev a cold engine.

      ps. My Honda lawn mower runs PERFECT in any weather on low idle immediately after starting, so why can't a Kohler? Do they just want our engines to not last too long?
      Better that way and get the oil pressure up to spec.

      Griff

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by griff01 View Post
        Better that way and get the oil pressure up to spec.

        Griff
        So when you start your car do you rev it up to 3600rpm immediately?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by atc250r View Post
          So when you start your car do you rev it up to 3600rpm immediately?
          Sorta. Carb car engines used to start on choke with fast idle to warm up then you had to kick them down to low idle.
          My fuel injected car starts and runs on fast idle and slowly comes down in speed as it warms up.
          Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

          Comment


          • #6
            ATC 250r

            I have to agree with you on that one, I like the idea of low RPM if oil presure is not present and low idle untill the machine warms up a bit.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by atc250r View Post
              So when you start your car do you rev it up to 3600rpm immediately?
              Totally different lubrication system!!!

              Griff

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                Its both to prevent fuel flooding starting and when you shut it off, back firing. Besides they go to idle once they have oil presure. Doesn't hurt the engine one way or the other.
                Originally posted by griff01 View Post
                Better that way and get the oil pressure up to spec.

                Griff
                I googled revving cold engine and all results said it shorten's engine life.

                Originally posted by griff01 View Post
                Totally different lubrication system!!!
                Griff

                The only lubrication systems I'm aware of are:

                1) splash- used in lawnmowers/snowblowers, etc without oil filters
                2) dry sump- no oil pan is used, rather an oil tank off the engine somewhere.
                3) wet sump- typical of most cars, trucks, welders, tractors, etc

                So how is a welder's lubrication system different from a car's?

                Comment


                • #9
                  your right atc250r

                  pressurized oil systems need a few seconds to get oil pressure up to speed before you open them up, dont care what anyone says, this is why they sell pre-oilers for almost every diesel motor, to bring up that oil pressure before you even start it, That said new engine compositions Alum blocks chrome bore liners do help, but there is still a window of wear when first started, all engine manufactures agree on this far as ive ever read.
                  BTW one more oil system 2 cycles mist

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Not difficult to install a low idle switch for any motor, though I've only seen 2 blown motors over the last 10 years, both early Kohlers that had a cam oiler in the wrong position. Nothing to do with high idle starts. Both were easy fixes, as Kohlers are really easy to tear down. Move the oiler, replace the cam & lifters. No biggee.

                    And this oiler system is pressureized

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I hate on the small engine drives that even if you have a battery charger or a drill pluged in they are at 3600. They need to do like they did with the legend and have a low rpm power and weld. Thats why I ended up with a diesel that and the noise was not standable
                      Lincoln Vantage Kubota diesel 30 amp spool gun , Hobart 210 with spool gun, Thermal dynamic pak master 75, miller 304xmt all mobile all ready to go.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by atc250r View Post
                        I googled revving cold engine and all results said it shorten's engine life.




                        The only lubrication systems I'm aware of are:

                        1) splash- used in lawnmowers/snowblowers, etc without oil filters
                        2) dry sump- no oil pan is used, rather an oil tank off the engine somewhere.
                        3) wet sump- typical of most cars, trucks, welders, tractors, etc


                        So how is a welder's lubrication system different from a car's?
                        See #1 and #3 above!

                        Oh yeah, google is the automotive expert of the world. That is why they build so many engines and vehicles.

                        There is quite a difference between starting at high idle and revving an engine.
                        I could explain that further but I cannot understand it for you.

                        Griff

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Gmmandan View Post
                          I hate on the small engine drives that even if you have a battery charger or a drill pluged in they are at 3600. They need to do like they did with the legend and have a low rpm power and weld. Thats why I ended up with a diesel that and the noise was not standable
                          Your wish can be accomplished if you want to pay more for the small engine drives.

                          Griff

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            pro 300

                            Have a Pro 300 as well, been a excellent machine, the Legend 302 is a great concept, surprised Miller discontinued it, would also be nice if miller woulld offer upgrade packages on their various machine instead of just phasing them out and introducing a new model, also if Miller would offer a DC exciter machine rather than all inverters would be nice, I beleieve Hobart long ago had a DC exciter in their industrial engine drives.
                            But upgrades to like the pro300 to tailer arc more like the pipe pros would be nice.

                            As far as engines on the smaller welders starting at high idle, 3600 rpm is hardly high idle, and how you would change a gas engine drive to weld or generate at a speed half of 3600 rpm would be impossible with the current windings in them. The Pro 300 does weld and generate at 1800 rpm, and it cost 3 times what gas engine drives do.
                            Last edited by thermopsummit; 01-28-2011, 06:33 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by griff01 View Post
                              See #1 and #3 above!

                              Exactly. Automobiles and welders both use wet sump lube systems. So please explain your earlier post that "they have totally different lubrication systems."

                              Oh yeah, google is the automotive expert of the world. That is why they build so many engines and vehicles.

                              Guess you don't know what Google is.

                              There is quite a difference between starting at high idle and revving an engine.
                              I could explain that further but I cannot understand it for you.
                              Griff
                              FYI, 3600rpm is the MAX governed rpm for most small engines. Its like revving the engine to its rev limiter. That's more than a high idle, imo.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X