LWS vs online dealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LWS vs online dealer

I can buy a welder for $300 less from an online dealer than the best price at my local welding supply house. Has anyone found the warranty support to be any different when needed?

There will be no difference in warranty support. I bought a Miller Wildcat a had a recall on a wire routing issue and they jumped on that pronto and I got it online. I like buying at my LWS also when I can afford to but generally big ticket items I can save hundreds of $$ online. That's a lot of money to me.
    Stephen
    Millermatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller 30A Spool Gun
    Hypertherm PowerMax 30
    Etc., Etc., Etc......
    Western Arkansas Welding

Comment

Basically that service memo. merely moves and tywraps cables the away from the stator to prevent rub through.

As for buying online, your actual miller distributor should be able to match what ever you look at online, as the online suppliers buy for the same price as any authorized distributor. And really its best to purchase for your Autorized Miller distributor.

Now when I mentioned "Authorized" a couple of times, many LWS's are not authorized, thats why they can't compete with the online guys. In that case online purchases are the way to go,

From a warranty standpoint, we don't really care who you bought it from, as we don't need your bill of sale.

Comment

Why are some LWS not authorized Miller dealers?

I can understand the average hardware or tool store not being an authorized Miller dealer. We have a nicely set up Trico welding supply 1 mile down the street from work. They are not an authorized Miller dealer. They have no Miller stuff in the store either. They say they can get small Miller parts for their regular customers, though. Do the dealers have an exclusive sales region, or are they required to be service centers also?
        The Trico store has Smith, Weldcraft, and other ITW brands, along with Lincoln and ESAB.

Comment

Looks to me that the best answers to these questions should be from the Miller Experts as these are direct questions to the corporate level and should be answered by management.. Just my 2 cents..

Just for your info all of my equipment is either Miller or Hobart, sorry others.

Comment

I just bought my new welder through the local Miller distributer.

Did I pay a few pennys more, Yes I did, Not very much however On my $ 1366.00 purchase I could have saved about $ 90.00 because of not paying the sales Tax because it would have been an out of state purchase.

#1 The thought of getting caught by not paying the sales Tax to me is not worth the chance.

#2 If my local welding supply goes out of business because I buy online, Where will I be when I'm in a bind, need a part, welding rod, face shield, grinding disc, Etc.

My job will be stopped waiting to get supplies. I need them and they need us.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangleweld View Post
              Looks to me that the best answers to these questions should be from the Miller Experts as these are direct questions to the corporate level and should be answered by management.. Just my 2 cents..

Just for your info all of my equipment is either Miller or Hobart, sorry others.
              Why would Miller management really care? Your still buying their brand. When you support your local welding distributor, your helping your community, plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                Basically that service memo. merely moves and tywraps cables the away from the stator to prevent rub through.

As for buying online, your actual miller distributor should be able to match what ever you look at online, as the online suppliers buy for the same price as any authorized distributor. And really its best to purchase for your Autorized Miller distributor.

Now when I mentioned "Authorized" a couple of times, many LWS's are not authorized, thats why they can't compete with the online guys. In that case online purchases are the way to go,

From a warranty standpoint, we don't really care who you bought it from, as we don't need your bill of sale.
                Thanks Cruizer...that was the recall issue that I was referring to. I will check and see if the LWS that I use is an authorized Miller dealer and if so I will ask them about price match. I would certainly like to support my LWS and keep $$$ in town.
                Stephen
                Millermatic 251
                Miller Syncrowave 200
                Miller 30A Spool Gun
                Hypertherm PowerMax 30
                Etc., Etc., Etc......
                Western Arkansas Welding

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                  I just bought my new welder through the local Miller distributer.

Did I pay a few pennys more, Yes I did, Not very much however On my $ 1366.00 purchase I could have saved about $ 90.00 because of not paying the sales Tax because it would have been an out of state purchase.

#1 The thought of getting caught by not paying the sales Tax to me is not worth the chance.

#2 If my local welding supply goes out of business because I buy online, Where will I be when I'm in a bind, need a part, welding rod, face shield, grinding disc, Etc.

My job will be stopped waiting to get supplies. I need them and they need us.
                  in a nut shell!

Comment

I always ask my LWS to match the online price and they do the best they can. I'll pay the extra money knowing they will make it up to me in service or supplies, road shows and free lunches. Oh ya there is no free lunch.
                    I have bought stuff off the internet, just small stuff that I did not want to drive to town to get.
                    Like Tweco twist lock cable plugs, turns out that they were cheaper at the LWS, still not worth the drive to town (15 miles). Let the delivery services do the driving.
                    Good Luck,
                    Bob
                    Millermatic 252 w/30A
                    Big Blue Air Pak
                    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
                    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
                    8-RC
                    Dynasty 200 DX
                    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
                    Millermatic 211
                    Passport Plus
                    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
                    Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
                    2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
                    SA-200 Black Face '59
                    SA-200 Green Lite '84
                    SA-200 Green Lite '80
                    SA-200 Red Face '69
                    SA-200 Red Face '66
                    SA-200 Green Lite '81
                    '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                      #2 If my local welding supply goes out of business because I buy online, Where will I be when I'm in a bind, need a part, welding rod, face shield, grinding disc, Etc. .
                      My thoughts exactly.
                      Not to mention you get to go touch and feel right there at your LWS. I've found that it's much easier to deal with a LWS (this applies to other things besides welding equip) if there is a problem right off the bat then having to ship it back.
                      You want to keep these guys around, the usually are pretty knowledgeable.

I bought a Syncrowave 250 back in 2002 for my shop at the time. I had no idea how to use it, I just wanted to learn. I told the LWS I would buy it if they could teach me how to use it. They agreed and sent out a rep that spent the day with me showing me the basics. Try and get that on the internet. We have bought 5 welders from them all together.
                      My recent purchase was the PassPort Plus. We purchased for 1599.99. Yes I paid tax, but no shipping cost plus, like someone mentioned earlier, I'm supporting my community..
                      Miller PassPort Plus
                      Miller Spoolmate 100
                      Kenworth W900
                      Fontaine Renegade LXT40 LowBoy
                      Kobota D1005 W / Meccalte 10KW Generator End
                      Heart
                      Desire
                      www.truckerwarren.com

Comment

My LWS rocks, treating me as well years ago when I was a noob as they do now when I make large business purchases from them.

Their service is superb, and while I buy some items online I make a point to do most of my business there. What I might pay extra for on some purchases they make up for elsewhere.

Comment

I use my LWS if its something I think they can get in a reasonable amount of time. I wanted some walter stuff a while back so I just ordered it on line and had it in 4 days.

Air-Gas said they can order walter but thought it would take at least a week.

They actually seem to cater to the large gas users then the welders.

They did me pretty decent on some tig stuff, not quite as cheep as on-line but real close.

They get a feather in there hat for the bottle exchange tho.
                          I went from a 40 cu-ft to a 125 cu-ft argon for 86 bucks.
                          And the 40 was actually an even trade from a 20 lb co2.

I have just had to realize that if its something I really want, chances are they will have to order it so I have to wait either way.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
                          Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
                          Clarke 180 EN Just in case
                          Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
                          O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
                          Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
                          4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
                          Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
                          Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
                          I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

They actually seem to cater to the large gas users then the welders.
                            Seems to be the plan of attack with a couple of our vendors too. Hate to say it but bought my last machine on line.

Comment

Working...
                            X