No announcement yet.

Aluminum Diesel Fuel Tank ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol yeah it's great for keeping the keg really cold... but if you lay any skin on it you'll need more than burn gel. at minus 109 it is unforgiving. us old dudes remember grabbing a metal ice tray out of the freezer and having to run water on it to get our fingers loose. but dry ice in the tank degrades to pure co2 gas instead of a liquid so it doesn't contaminate the fuel in the tank. it isn't very costly either at the cost of fuel and gas this day it helps.
    miller 225 bobcat
    miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
    Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
    hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
    victor journeyman & super range
    ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
    steel max and evolution carbide saws
    6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
    case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
    if first you don't succeed
    trash the b#####d

Comment

Originally posted by jbmprods View Post
      lol yeah it's great for keeping the keg really cold... but if you lay any skin on it you'll need more than burn gel. at minus 109 it is unforgiving. us old dudes remember grabbing a metal ice tray out of the freezer and having to run water on it to get our fingers loose. but dry ice in the tank degrades to pure co2 gas instead of a liquid so it doesn't contaminate the fuel in the tank. it isn't very costly either at the cost of fuel and gas this day it helps.
      YEAH JBMPRODS, I used to work in the oil fields years ago with a pipe fitter. I remember he and I went to repair a D.O.T. line that had a hole in it. We were hanging by harnesses to do the repair. We had to cut out an elbow and weld in a new one. We had to pack the line with dry ice and also we had to mix up some kind of gel (i don't remember what it was). I remember being scared $%%#less hoping it wouldn't blow. LOL. But I know both the gel and dry ice would vaporize and the line would be open again after awhile... They shut the pipe down but with miles and miles of line it would be impossible to purge.
      Last edited by warrenlark; 01-24-2011, 08:36 PM.
      Miller PassPort Plus
      Miller Spoolmate 100
      Kenworth W900
      Fontaine Renegade LXT40 LowBoy
      Kobota D1005 W / Meccalte 10KW Generator End
      Heart
      Desire
      www.truckerwarren.com

Comment

I would like to say thanks to everyone that has added to this post.

I missed chemistry class all together.
        I must admit I am one that thought carbon monoxide is what came out the exhaust. But it makes sense about the car having to be indoors for it to be high levels of carbon monoxide.

I guess I missed alot growing up. I never knew that the dry ice would turn to co2 gas causing no contamination.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
        Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
        Clarke 180 EN Just in case
        Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
        O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
        Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
        4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
        Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
        Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
        I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
        http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

So, norm, you are now an expert????
          Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

I Totally Agree with your Sig Line . lol

........... Norm
            www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by tom37 View Post

I guess I missed alot growing up. I never knew that the dry ice would turn to co2 gas causing no contamination.
              Yep, Tom, that's what "dry ice" is. Solidified CO2, approx -100F. It transitions (sublimates) from a solid to a gas, bypassing the "liquid" stage. Unlike frozen water (ice) turns to liquid (water), ultimately evaporating (gas). To keep CO2 in a liquid state, it must be kept under pressure. In welding (or the food industry), the liquid turns to a gas as it expands when the pressure is released (opening the bottle valve).
              "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Working...
              X