Flux Core Penetration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flux Core Penetration?

Flux Core isn't the greatest for penetration, would a motion ensure better penetration on a T-Joint compared to just pushing or pulling a straight bead angled 45 degrees in respect to the corner? Seems to make sense to me that a C motion that holds on the top edge then swoops down to bottom edge like what is used in over head T-Joints would burn into both sides better than just running it with no motion. Which one would ensure better penetration?

Try a gas shieled flux core wire aka dual shield. That stuff rocks...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

Dcen

Are you setup DCEN?
      Good luck,
      Bob
      Millermatic 252 w/30A
      Big Blue Air Pak
      Ellis 3000 Band Saw
      Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
      8-RC
      Dynasty 200 DX
      XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
      Millermatic 211
      Passport Plus
      Spectrum 625 X-TREME
      Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
      2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
      SA-200 Black Face '59
      SA-200 Green Lite '84
      SA-200 Green Lite '80
      SA-200 Red Face '69
      SA-200 Red Face '66
      SA-200 Green Lite '81
      '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Comment

Originally posted by metalburner3 View Post
        Flux Core isn't the greatest for penetration, would a motion ensure better penetration on a T-Joint compared to just pushing or pulling a straight bead angled 45 degrees in respect to the corner? Seems to make sense to me that a C motion that holds on the top edge then swoops down to bottom edge like what is used in over head T-Joints would burn into both sides better than just running it with no motion. Which one would ensure better penetration?
        What kind of penetration you're looking for?Which type of fluxcore are you using? and what kind of gas are you using? Pulling will always give you the best penetration as long as you're going at the right speed with the right voltage and wire speed.

Comment

FCAW-s

Flux Core isn't the greatest for penetration
          Not sure where you got that idea. NR-232 (E71T-8) wire meets AWS D1.8 and FEMA 353 seismic structural requirements, and NR-211 (E71T-11) .045 dia. wire can be used up to 5/16" material thickness.

To echo Daniel's reply, wire size & type, material thickness, subsequent application, voltage settings, WFS & CTWD are all variables needed to be considered.

Lincoln Electric offers a FREE Innershield Electrode Welding Guide, that you can carry in your pocket, with diagrams and welding techniques for optimum performance.

Innershield wire is like a welding rod turned inside out. Even on smaller 120 Volt MIG machines, one can weld 3/16" material with .035 wire, compared to 1/8" material with solid .030 MIG wire and shielding gas.

If you're experiencing poor penetration, is your machine polarity is set correctly, DCEN? Gun to the negative terminal, ground to the positive. (That is, of course, if you're NOT running E70T-3 or T-4 wire, which I highly doubt).
          Last edited by davedarragh; 01-22-2011, 07:14 AM.
          "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Fancy motions create a high potential for lack of penetration in or at the root. You might even be leaving crap in the root if you're not carefull, especially on a move where you're hanging in above then dropping down and across the root. Of course the amount of fusion/penetration is generally a result of the machines output capabilities, the electrode choice and settings. All choices determined by the weldor.

Comment

Penetration

The last time I had penetration problems with MIG, it was because I did not leave a gap between the two pieces. (Yeah, I should have known better). If you set it up right, and prepare the pieces, the only limit is material thickness vs. welder power output, (Of course other factors affect the result, ranging from wire size, type, etc.).

Look up the correct settings, make sure that this is within the capability of machine, and weld some test pieces.

Richard
              Syncrowave 200, Millermatic 211, Victor torch, Propane forge....

Comment

Wee use to production weld 1/2" plate, No prep with little gap. and get near 100% penetration with welds on both sides, single pass .045 dual shield. We just pointed the rod into the gap and went to town. worked great

Nr 211/212 will leave wagon tracks if you're not careful. So it has more then enough heat to penetrate. I only weave when I have to other wise just push or pull
                Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
                Millermatic 252 on the wish list
                Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
                South bend lathe 10LX40
                K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
                Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
                A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
                Auto shades are for rookies
                www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

I agree with the other guys, if set up right, FCAW can get toooons of penetration. We run 71T-1 at work, dual shield, w/ 75/25 gas. Run abt 24 volts, and you can weld some real heavy stuff. Dont bother with a weave, just a slow drag- and beads stacked up right you can run 3/4" plus fillets smooth as glass
                  Last edited by hockeyguynick; 01-23-2011, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Fluxcore IS the greatest for penetration, at least in manual or semi-automatic welding. Mainly because the current path has such a small cross section. You can't get greater penetration per amp with any other handheld process that I'm aware of.

Any side to side movement will lessen penetration to some extent.

JTMcC
                    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Working...
                    X