Need help with vertical welds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with vertical welds.

I am in my welding certifications classes. I am kinda new at welding but I'm good at it. I am ahead of my class and no one knows anything about vertical welds but my instructor. He is usually doing something and don't want to bother him. I need some good tech. for this type of weld. I am haveing problems weaving tighter beads. My welds look great according to my instructor but he says they are a little too wide. When I try to weld within the tow of my root pass I still weld too wide. How can I fix this problem.

Remember CLAMS

Miller's resources are just wonderful on this site. Try this link;

Comment

Originally posted by Westside Welder View Post
      I am in my welding certifications classes. I am kinda new at welding but I'm good at it. I am ahead of my class and no one knows anything about vertical welds but my instructor. He is usually doing something and don't want to bother him. I need some good tech. for this type of weld. I am haveing problems weaving tighter beads. My welds look great according to my instructor but he says they are a little too wide. When I try to weld within the tow of my root pass I still weld too wide. How can I fix this problem.
      What Process are you using???
      '08 F-350
      Vantage 400
      SA-250
      SA-200
      Invertec V350Pro
      Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
      Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
      Track torch

Comment

We could spend hours trying to tell you how to do it when your teacher who is getting paid to teach you can show you the basics in minutes.

Comment

Well he has. Now he says just to work on getting them a little bit tighter. I am welding with 98 amperage.... I don't know if I should lower it or anything. We are working on fab and I am welding. So it is a little busy in the shop... Its hard to get help sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rig Hand View Post
            What Process are you using???
            Well Like I said I am kinda new at this. I'm on SMAW on a Vertical T-Weld.

Comment

my guess is your running stick, 7018? what is the thickness of the metal you are welding V-Up on? Try holding your corners for 3 seconds 1 one thousand 2 one thousand 3 one thousand. That helped me to eliminate slag inclusion, and to get a better looking bead appearance. After a while of doing that I didnt have to count anymore and I now know what to look for. Also, try not to come out of your puddle when stacking your weld. I always try to come out slightly so that it almost looks like im going over top of the already applied metal, hold 3 seconds, then shoot across the middle and hold again on my corner and so on. Gravity is really working against you on V-Up welds so you have to take it slow. Hope this helps

Comment

If your are using 7018 3/32- turn down your heat to tighten up your width. the hotter you are the wider you have to run, reguardless of what your welding, plate, pipe, fillets.

Try running around 86 amps, it will be slower but easier to keep narrower. As you need to get wider turn up the heat a little each pass.

You need to give more and better info! I could care less what your instructor is doing or the rest of the class for that matter. If you want good advice give good info.
                -Type of machine and its settings.
                -rod type and size
                -material thickness and joint type,
                -position
                -problems your having.

I don't mean to be rude but this happens a lot and its getting old. Oh, and tell your instructor to help you. He should spend the same amount of time with you weather your the fastest or slowest learner. You have to get what you paid for.
                '08 F-350
                Vantage 400
                SA-250
                SA-200
                Invertec V350Pro
                Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
                Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
                Track torch

Comment

If your are using 7018 3/32- turn down your heat to tighten up your width. the hotter you are the wider you have to run, reguardless of what your welding, plate, pipe, fillets.

Try running around 86 amps, it will be slower but easier to keep narrower. As you need to get wider turn up the heat a little each pass.

You need to give more and better info! I could care less what your instructor is doing or the rest of the class for that matter. If you want good advice give good info.
                  -rod type and size
                  -position
                  -problems your having.

I don't mean to be rude but this happens a lot and its getting old. Oh, and tell your instructor to help you. He should spend the same amount of time with you weather your the fastest or slowest learner. You have to get what you paid for.
                  Well said
                  Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
                  Millermatic 252 on the wish list
                  Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
                  South bend lathe 10LX40
                  K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
                  Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
                  A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
                  Auto shades are for rookies
                  www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

-rod type and size
                    -position
                    -problems your having.

Ok bro hows this....
                    I'm using a Lincoln Electric IDEALARC 250. I'm running about 97amps
                    I'm using E7018 1/8" rod.
                    I think its like 1/8" metal.
                    I'm on Vertical T-Welds 3F
                    I'm haveing a problem with my welds being too wide. I weave fine its just my pauses are off, or my machine is too high or low.

I figured I would ask some people than may have been through the classes before and know what they are looking for. I thought maybe a good welder could tell me a little about how he does his vertical and could give me advice.

Comment

Working...
                    X