cast aluminum welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cast aluminum welding

Can I weld a cast aluminum throttle body to a non cast piece of aluminum? A buddy asked me this and I said I have no idea. Anyone ever done this?

Yes.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Ok so if I were to do this for him, how would I go about it. He said he has a piece I can practice on. From what i've read so far it needs to be really clean and I have to pre heat. Right? What kind of filler is best? I've never welded cast aluminum and I think its time to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

other than bein dirty and porous and taking more heat, it welds pretty much like....aluminum

no fear, just stick em together, point the torch n wiggle it around
        welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
        www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

stretch,

You may find the need to "butter" the cast before you attempt to weld the two pieces together.

This "buttering" involves laying down a base of filler. Generally, when welding cast that first application of filler will be "dirty" and porous. Grind it down, and apply new filler. You'll find with each subsequent application of filler, the base metal gets cleaner and cleaner.

Then it's considerably easier to get a good weld between the two materials. Your standard 4043 filler should work fine.
          Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200 DX
          Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
          Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
          Hobart HH187
          Dialarc 250 AC/DC
          Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
          Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
          PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
          Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
          Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
          More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
            stretch,

You may find the need to "butter" the cast before you attempt to weld the two pieces together.

This "buttering" involves laying down a base of filler. Generally, when welding cast that first application of filler will be "dirty" and porous. Grind it down, and apply new filler. You'll find with each subsequent application of filler, the base metal gets cleaner and cleaner.

Then it's considerably easier to get a good weld between the two materials. Your standard 4043 filler should work fine.
            Two thumbs up!

Good advice SundownIII.
            Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
            3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
            Miller Dynasty200DX
            ThermalArc 400 GTSW
            MillerMatic350P
            MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
            MKCobraMig260
            Lincoln SP-170T
            Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
            Hypertherm 1250
            Hypertherm 800
            PlasmaCam CNC cutter
            Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
            SiberHegner CNC Mill
            2 ea. Bridgeport
            LeBlond 15" Lathe
            Haberle 18" Cold Saw
            Doringer 14" Cold Saw
            6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

So your saying to flush the two pieces together and weld them up? Then grind it flush, or should I remove the whole weld and start over?

Comment

You may also try 5356 rod, which is formulated for welding Aluminum casting.
                _kevin

Syncrowave 250 Analogue
                Maxstar 200SD
                Maxtron 450
                IntelliTIG 40
                S64M Wirefeeder

Non-Blue:
                Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
                Lincoln Precision Tig 275
                Lincoln WeldPak 155

Comment

stretch,

What I'm saying is that proper "prep" of the cast, before you try to join the two pieces, will give better results.

If you go willy nilly into welding the formed aluminum to the cast, without prepping the cast, you'll likely pull junk from the cast into the newly formed weld bead.

As with all metals and especially aluminum, proper prep of the material will always result in a "better weld".
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Hobart HH187
                  Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                  Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                  Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                  More grinders than hands

Comment

just to clarify, "buttering" is done before attempting to join any two pieces together.
                    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

So what your saying is to lay a bead on just the edge of the cast a few times before joining the two together?

Comment

That's the key

The other thing is some cast material welds like billet plate and some cast welds like mud.

I welded up a manual transmission shifter housing for my buddy and with proper cleaning and preheat it welded like it was machined from solid
                        Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
                        Millermatic 252 on the wish list
                        Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
                        South bend lathe 10LX40
                        K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
                        Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
                        A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
                        Auto shades are for rookies
                        www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Hey stretch,
                          I agree with SundownIII also with the "buttering" technique, & your concern would be the impurities that surfaced. You need only to remove the contaminants from the buttering applied & not necessarily back to the original surface. Generally, a good brushing w/SS brush & acetone again will remove any residual impurities. You can leave the clean buttering on each piece. A good preheat will help, & I would suggest not using 5356 as it is temp. affected above 150* & an engine block will heat higher than that. I do use 5356 for all the cast welding I do when the parts are not subject to heat.....over 150*, use 4043.

Denny
                          * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
                          * Mobile unit *
                          * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
                          * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
                          * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
                          * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Comment

Stretch, unfortunately I have to disagree with what they called buttering the cast.

Clean the cast with a wire brush and acetone before trying to weld ( Make it shiny )

Then take your tig torch over the area to be welded at a slightly lower temputure than what you would weld the piece at, Doing so will bring the contamination to the top, I then take my die grinders that I have carbide cutters and a wire wheel on and make the weld area shiny again.

Keep doing this process until very little contamination comes to the top ( This usually takes 2-3 times )

You are then ready to pick up the welding rod and start welding.

Using the method they called buttering only traps the contamination inside causing a weak area.

Stretch, I did not mention Vee grooving the crack I assume you already know to do that.

Good Luck, Portable Welder

Comment

Portable Welder,

If you do what you're proposing two or three times (heat, draw impurities, grind), in many cases you're not going to have any base metal left.

The "buttering" involves adding fresh, clean filler material as you're heating the material up, thereby drawing impurities into the bead. This is then ground down to near the original base metal. Each time the process is repeated the bead, which will be ground down to the original profile, gets cleaner and cleaner. I use a carbide burr for grinding.

The process you describe (not adding filler) simply brings the contaminants to the surface where they're ground off. As you repeat the process, without adding filler, you're simply going deeper and deeper into the base metal.

The "buttering" process I describes is not something I simply read in a book somewhere, it's a process I've used with good success for over thirty five years in dealing with aluminum. Outboard motors have been using cast aluminum blocks for a lot longer than the automobile industry.

How do you suggest the OP maintain a surface profile/original dimension without adding filler?
                              Dynasty 200 DX
                              Hobart HH187
                              Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                              Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                              Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                              More grinders than hands

Comment

Working...
                              X