Question about my XMT350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about my XMT350

I've had my new XMT350 for a few months and I've noticed something about it I did not notice about the others I've welded with in the past. I'll call it sonic arc noise.

I only weld stick.

When I'm not around lots of noise where I can hear the arc I hear a very high pitched sonic noise in the arc. Its only noticeable sometimes and I must be in a pretty quiet location to hear it.

Is this normal or is there something wrong with my XMT?

Thanks in advance for helping.

The XMT350 switches the IGBT power modules at 25 kHZ. This is typically beyond any audible range since most people hear up to about 20 -22 kHZ.

The noise you are hearing is most likely from the stick boost circuit commonly known as "dig". This circuit will provide small amounts of extra current if the arc voltage goes below a threshold value. This percentage of extra amperage is control by the "Arc Control" knob on the front panel of the XMT350. If you adjust this knob slightly up or down you will likely notice a slight change in the pitch or frequency of the extra noise you here.

The other smaller chance is that you may here the change in the AutoLine boost circuit. This circuit is responsible for being able to run the XMT350 on any line voltage from 208 to 575 VAC. Sometimes you can hear this boost circuits frequency change under weld loads.

Key point being, there is likely nothing wrong with your XMT350.

Comment

yep Blue-tech is correct,what your hearing is normal, and more audible when you play with the dig.

Comment

I welded with like 16 different XMT-350 boxes last year and didn't hear any sonic arc noise from them but you must remember that was mostly under loud background noise conditions. So maybe it was there but I just couldn't hear it. lol

I'm aware that last year those boxes were run mostly with 480VAC current, where I'm now only running mine at about 230VAC (3 phase of course). I'm concerned that my lower voltage may be causing it to make this sonic noise. I have the ability to "up" the voltage if thats what it takes to fix this problem.

Would raising the input voltage fix it?

I don't particularly care for this sonic arc noise and would like to "fix it" if I could.

Thanks for your help guys.
        Last edited by JBL 212; 01-12-2011, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Nope, and don't write back about the tickity, tickity on 600 Vac either, cause thats normal as well

Comment

Id rather "cruizer" you didn't try to answer my questions.

Sorry but I just don't like your attitude. lol

I found blue_tech's reply very helpful. You're just "pissed me off".

So please don't reply to any of my posts in the future.

Thank you

Comment

There is a Tickity noise on the 600Vac side, and a little on the 480 side, wasn't makeing that up.

Comment

So if someone, besides you know who, would like to answer my questions then I'm still here and still willing to read the replies.

Thank you.

Comment

Inverters run at 20 -40 KHZ, thats the kinda hiss your hearing on some rods, and you do hear it more or less when you adjust the dig controler

Comment

I've noticed this on other inverters, especially when putting in root passes with 6010. Can't say it bothers me, although it does sound a little unnatural.

Cruizer is a wealth of knowledge, maybe you should try putting some thicker skin on.
                    Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

BigBlue 500D
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 211
                    4' Box and Pan Break
                    IR compressor

Comment

JBL 212,

Did you leave your manners at the door along with your common sense?

5 Posts as opposed to a senior member who's helped more people on this forum than you could ever imagine.

Every freaking "inverter" I've ever welded with his it's own "language". The first time I turned my Dynasty on I thought I'd tuned in on a "whale convention".

If the noise bothers you, sell the inverter and buy a transformer machine. Either that, or buy a set of ear plugs.

Whatever you decide to do, DON'T come on the board with 5 posts and tell members "Not to respond to your post".

With that attitude you can GTFOH, and don't let the door hit you in the A$$ on the way out.
                      Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200 DX
                      Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                      Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                      Hobart HH187
                      Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                      Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                      Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                      PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                      Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                      Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                      More grinders than hands

Comment

I want to thank you all for your replies and for your help. And I want to apologize to mr cruizer and also to you all for my lack of manners. I have no defense of my actions other than to say I was having a bad day and I am truly sorry.

Again I hope you all will except my deepest apologies.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by JBL 212 View Post
                          I welded with like 16 different XMT-350 boxes last year and didn't hear any sonic arc noise from them but you must remember that was mostly under loud background noise conditions. So maybe it was there but I just couldn't hear it. lol

I'm aware that last year those boxes were run mostly with 480VAC current, where I'm now only running mine at about 230VAC (3 phase of course). I'm concerned that my lower voltage may be causing it to make this sonic noise. I have the ability to "up" the voltage if thats what it takes to fix this problem.

Would raising the input voltage fix it?

I don't particularly care for this sonic arc noise and would like to "fix it" if I could.

Thanks for your help guys.
                          Changing the line voltage will only change the frequency of the Autoline circuit that maintains the same internal voltages regardless of the outside voltage applied to it. It is doubtful that the noise you are hearing is from this circuit. The DIG circuit tends to be the more noisy of these two.

If you adjust the DIG control and you hear that noise that is bugging you change frequency, changing the incoming line voltage will not affect anything. There may be some XMT350s that make more noise than others. You can get some tolerance stacking unit to unit. But I would expoect to hear noise on any inverter.

Comment

Thank you. That is exactly the answer that I've been searching for.

Like I said above. You have been very helpful to me and I thank you very much.

I feel ashamed for acting like I did the other day, but after all this time I still can't get over it.

You have offered me helpful information on every one of your posts to me and I thank you very much for that. This tells me much about about you. lol

The others help I don't care for. *** hole or not, I'm like I am I and I can't help it. I felt their replies were not helpful to me and actually offended me at the time, so I'm not impressed with them. Senior members or not.

Again. I'm sorry. I'll try not to ask question here, but I do hate to loose your help BlueTech!!!!! You have helped me more than you think because I can understand what you told me and it helped answer my simple questions.

Thanks again.

You others? Just be glad I'm not running this forum because you wouldn't be here anymore. Thats the kind of *** hole I am!!! :laugh: :laugh:
                            Last edited by JBL 212; 01-25-2011, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X