DCEN TIG for Aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCEN TIG for Aluminum

Can some one point me towards a resource to learn about DCEN tig welding of Aluminum with He shielding. I've bene a little surprised at how hard information is to come by. Cheers, W

That might be because AC is generally used for aluminum.

Ken

Comment

Pure Helium has an unstable arc and it can be a bit tricky to run with DC. I found it VERY sensitive to arc length. Hope your HF start is in good shape - you'll need it.

Shovelon gave me some good info about it here
      2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
      2005 Miller Passport 180

Comment

Hey wendell,
        Most fellows prefer TIG with AC, although anything is possible..... it all depends on the lengths you are willing to go. Here's a thread on the Hobart forum by WeldTalk member B_C who is an artist with alum TIG. He has posted many aluminum jobs he has done..... take a look & join & ask him what may help you.

Denny

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=39603
        * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
        * Mobile unit *
        * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
        * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
        * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
        * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Comment

Denny,
          Thanks for the link. Just what I was looking for! If any one has any tips they want to share (other than use AC w/ HF), I'm all ears.
          W

Comment

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=30243

Comment

Originally posted by MR.57 View Post
              Pure Helium has an unstable arc and it can be a bit tricky to run with DC. I found it VERY sensitive to arc length. Hope your HF start is in good shape - you'll need it.

Shovelon gave me some good info about it here
              On my first pass I missed the link. Thanks. W

Comment

If ypu hop over to the Hobart site and contact B.C. and Pangea (and SundownIII too) they will give you a ton of info on what you are trying to do. They do it all of the time and make some very very nicely welded stuff for their employers. If you go to the aluminum sub forum they are somewhere around and are pretty active so you probably wont wait to long for a reply. Do a search though, they have done a bunch of threads on it already too.
                Bob

Comment

Sundown III has answered a similar question on here before. He posted proper gas to be using and some info on the subject of DCEN aluminum welding.
                  Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
                  and wp2025 weldcraft torch
                  Miller 125c plasma cutter

Comment

Working...
                  X