Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tig welder machine question.

Hello Guys,

I have been reading for the past week so I would decide which machine I am going for. I own a 180amp mig welding machine, but I would like to upgrade to a tig welding machine. This is going to be my first tig welding experience.

The work that the machine is going to see is manly fabrication of car related parts like stainless steel exhaust systems, aluminum intake/intercooler piping , welding bungs on aluminum intake manifolds and on top covers. When I get enough experience I would also like to start welding chromolly roll cages.

The problem I am stuck with is either I buy a New Diversion 180 or a used Dynasty 300DX which I found at a price not too far away from the 180... The 300DX is a complete refurbished unit with the matching Miller cooler and new tig torch and new pedal. ( does anyone remember how much this system was new?)

I know that the diversion is much easier to learn on and the dynasty has million settings , so which one do you recommend for a beginner guy like me ?

And the other concern that I have is that the Dynasty is used , should I stick with a new machine or fork out a bit more and get the better used machine?

I am leaning for the Dynasty because I know that it is a much more capable machine but I am scared of all those buttons

Hope you guys can help me decide so I can get my machine soon

Manny Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Marlon.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Telwin Digital Mig 180

Do not worry about all the buttons. If you get the dynasty. Keep it simple at first.
    Turn most of the options off and run it as a basic machine. Once you have learned how to tig and control the puddle , it is now time to start playing with all the extras. Open the owners manual and make small changes. Panel controls and the hidden menu. Don't let the extras turn you into a lazy welder at first.
    Glenn 300 amp stick
    Millermatic 35
    L-tec plasma

Comment

The diversion won't cover everything you want to do. Both machines should be just as easy to learn on, but just don't mess with the advanced features while learning. The 300dx was something like a $6000 or more machine when new.

Comment

Well, I will probably be the only one to suggest going for the Diversion.

The reasons are.

1.Very easy to learn, thus recouping investment sooner.
        2. New machine has a warranty( 3 years I believe).
        3. Ability to run on house current.
        4. You have no experience with Tig.
        5. Gives a chance for your LWS to quote a new machine you.

Now Dynasties are great machines, I know, I own 5 of them. I am still learning, but I wish they were as simple as the Diversion.

P.S. My Dynasty 200 is at home. At work, I use the Thermal Arc 400(simple). I make the crew use the Dynasties.
        Last edited by shovelon; 12-08-2010, 02:48 PM. Reason: clarity
        Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
        3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
        Miller Dynasty200DX
        ThermalArc 400 GTSW
        MillerMatic350P
        MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
        MKCobraMig260
        Lincoln SP-170T
        Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
        Hypertherm 1250
        Hypertherm 800
        PlasmaCam CNC cutter
        Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
        SiberHegner CNC Mill
        2 ea. Bridgeport
        LeBlond 15" Lathe
        Haberle 18" Cold Saw
        Doringer 14" Cold Saw
        6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Can't agree on the above point for the diversion.
          Makes no difference what machine you learn on. No one reads the manual anyway.

And lack of tig experience will not be helped by a basic machine. you still have to learn to not dip the tungsten and keep you arc tight.

As said a few posts up get the manual set the machine as a basic tig and learn on that. If you don't want the Dynasty Tell me where it is and I'll buy it. You'll never regret having that big of a machine in term of amps available
          Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
          Millermatic 252 on the wish list
          Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
          South bend lathe 10LX40
          K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
          Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
          A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
          Auto shades are for rookies
          www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

TIG welding, sometimes referred to Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) is the process of using electric arc with a TIG electrode made of tungsten which do not dissolve or burn off when welding. When TIG welding you are simply melting metall together without using a filler metal as you do with MIG welding.

Comment

[QUOTE= you are simply melting metall together without using a filler metal as you do with MIG welding.[/QUOTE]

Humm.............can't say I agree with that..as I have & use many different filler materials for carbon, cro-mo, alum & stainless materials.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1575434014071.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	605062Click image for larger version

Name:	20190730_195008.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	3.69 MB
ID:	605064
                Originally posted by marlon88 View Post
                Hello Guys,

I have been reading for the past week so I would decide which machine I am going for. I own a 180amp mig welding machine, but I would like to upgrade to a tig welding machine. This is going to be my first tig welding experience.

The work that the machine is going to see is manly fabrication of car related parts like stainless steel exhaust systems, aluminum intake/intercooler piping , welding bungs on aluminum intake manifolds and on top covers. When I get enough experience I would also like to start welding chromolly roll cages.

The problem I am stuck with is either I buy a New Diversion 180 or a used Dynasty 300DX which I found at a price not too far away from the 180... The 300DX is a complete refurbished unit with the matching Miller cooler and new tig torch and new pedal. ( does anyone remember how much this system was new?)

I know that the diversion is much easier to learn on and the dynasty has million settings , so which one do you recommend for a beginner guy like me ?

And the other concern that I have is that the Dynasty is used , should I stick with a new machine or fork out a bit more and get the better used machine?

I am leaning for the Dynasty because I know that it is a much more capable machine but I am scared of all those buttons

Hope you guys can help me decide so I can get my machine soon

Manny Thanks.

Best Regards,
                Marlon.
                I was in your shoes long ago. Went and bought myself a brand spanking new syncrowave 200. 1 year later... Syncrowave 350lx, last year... Dynasty 400. Buy the dynasty. Buy once cry once. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190730_195008.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	3.69 MB
ID:	605061
                Attached Files
                Dynasty 400 wireless
                Coolmate 3.5
                Sw320 speedway
                Ck flex lock 230
                4 victor flow meters
                2 Flametech Duel flowmeters
                2 genuine miller torch buttons
                A$$ loads of tungsten
                XMT 350 CC/CV
                S74DX feeder
                Stick leads from here to China
                A30 Spool gun
                WC24
                Langmuir crossfire hobby table
                Everlast powerplasma 100 w hypertherm torch
                Harris O/A
                Pet raccoon
                I'm just a peckerwood in the boonies with fancy welding equipment

Comment

Working...
                X