Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• millermatic 211 amp/volt ?

Hello,
    Very new to welding and I am just starting to play with my new toy.

I have been welding primarily thinner gauge steel. I do at times weld some thicker material which calls to turn up the dial to 220v.
    My question is that if I plug 220 adapter into a 220v line, will I harm the "brains" in my welder if I revert back to the 110 (thinner gauge material)mode but still working from a 220 outlet. I read somewhere that the plugs turn on/off some circuitry in the 211's computer?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by keoki; 12-07-2010, 11:53 AM. Reason: clarify question

I'm a bit confused by your question. You don't turn up the dial to get 240v with the 211. Voltage input is determined by which plug you have on your source cable, and what receptacle you plug into. The small plug is for 120v and the large is for 240v.

I'm going to suggest you spend some time with the owner's manual to better understand setting up and using your machine. (This is not meant to be snippy.)

Comment

My apologies. After reading my post, it was very confusing.

On the material thickness dial (auto set), it indicates that 1/4''-3/8'' is 230V only. If working with 1/4''-3/8'' material, I assume I put on the 230V plug to the power cord and plug it into a 230V receptacle.
      My question is that should I begin working with thinner material (less than 1/4'')do I need to change back to the smaller plug and change to a 110V outlet? If I DO need to, I find it a bit of a hassle.
      I hope I made my question more clear.

Comment

Thank you Ol Sporty for your response. And no you did not come across as "snippy". I have read your posts and respect your insight.

Comment

No you don't have to switch back to 120V to use AutoSet on thinner material. The statement on the welder "230V Only" for the 1/4"-3/8" range is just there to remind you that if you have the 211 plugged into a 120V outlet you can't exceed 3/16" material with AutoSet or without it.If you have the 211 plugged in a 230V line you can use the full range/power of the welder.

Comment

You can leave the 220V plug on it all the time, it won't hurt the machine at all. you should actually beenfit from a higher duty cycle because the machine is pulling less amps because of the higher voltage. You can't weld in the higher ranges on 110V because the machine would pull more than ~20amp from the circuit and blow the breaker.

A very rough and simplistic electrical equation:
            Amps * Volts = Watts
            20A * 110V = 2200W
            20A * 220V = 4400W
            10A * 220V = 2200W

At the same amperage, 220V moves double the power of 110V. For the same power, 220V draws half the amperage.

Side note: the material thickness on the Autoset feature corresponds to a preprogrammed wire speed and voltage setting that Miller feels is optimized to that thickness. You can weld any thickness with enough passes and enough time, and sometimes you have to use a thinner "thickness setting" that the material you're working on for certain joint setups.
            Last edited by CaseIH; 12-07-2010, 12:26 PM. Reason: Added that note

Comment

"You can leave the 220V plug on it all the time, it won't hurt the machine at all. you should actually beenfit from a higher duty cycle because the machine is pulling less amps because of the higher voltage."

Thank you. This is what I wanted to know. I wasn't sure if I left the 230V plug on and in the 230V receptacle was bad for the machine even if welding in the 110V mode.

Comment

I have only had the 110V plug on mine 1 time for a few welds, the rest of the year and a half I have had it has been with the 220v plug on it. I have welded all sizes with it and burnt at least 35 pounds of wire through it pluged in with the 220v plug with no problem. I only plug the 110V plug in if I take it out somewere that doen't have a 220V plug.
                "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by keoki View Post
                  "You can leave the 220V plug on it all the time, it won't hurt the machine at all. you should actually beenfit from a higher duty cycle because the machine is pulling less amps because of the higher voltage."

Thank you. This is what I wanted to know. I wasn't sure if I left the 230V plug on and in the 230V receptacle was bad for the machine even if welding in the 110V mode.
                  There really isn't a 110v Mode- yer confusing yerself. As mentioned, the 110v Range ,"Mode" as you call it- on the dial is the Limit at which the MM211 will work while plugged in to 110v. Plugged in to 230v you have increased the Range to be able to weld thicker material-

Sorta like...
                  110v power you have 0-30% of the machine's power
                  230v 0-100%
                  Ed Conley
                  http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Got it Broc. Thanks.

Comment

Just got back to reply. The other guys have beat me to it and explained things as well as can be done.

Good luck with the 211. It's a great machine for its price range. Glad I got mine.

Comment

Broc, very good explanation.

Comment

Is there a switch that has to be flipped on the inside? Or can one just put the right plug on and go to town with it? I will be recieving mine tomorrow, thanks for any insight.
                          Steve..............................o~`o

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, and proudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!" 2B1ASK1

Comment

Originally posted by greenshovel View Post
                            Is there a switch that has to be flipped on the inside? Or can one just put the right plug on and go to town with it? I will be recieving mine tomorrow, thanks for any insight.
                            No switch- it auto senses the Voltage
                            Ed Conley
                            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                            MM252
                            MM211
                            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                            TA185
                            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                            O/A set
                            SO 2020 Bender
                            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Thanks the next question, the electrition came in today and wired the garage with a 50Amp plug with 6gage wire for the plasma cutter (875 spectrum) is this overkill for the MM211 or do I have to rum this on a 30amp CB? Thanks.
                              Steve..............................o~`o

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, and proudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!" 2B1ASK1

Comment

Working...
                              X