Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showdog75
    replied
    I plan on treating this machine right guys. I just got pi$$ed that my thread got derailed by a clash of personality's[if your not contributing shut the f up]. Bill said sandpaper was fine to give it a initial cleaning just to see if the machine is in working order then on to a stone. Btw I do have a stone and plan on using it. Carb is apart for cleaning/rebuild. This thing should run a 100 times better when I get carb finished as it was full of crap to say the least.The project is moving forward at a slow pace[as weather allows] but progress is being made.To be continued.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    White comstone is used to set new brushes
    Black Comstone is used to remove ridges that yourbrushes may have formed
    Brown Comestone (actually an abrasive eraser compund) is used to remove the fine lines

Although simply to clean the Com, then a extra fine sand paper is ok. Just remember that the com is spinning, wouldn't want to bind your pinkees in there

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied
    [QUOTE=Showdog75;255313]
    Originally posted by JTMcC View Post

I talked to a guy yesterday that makes a living working on these things. He told me sandpaper would be fine to clean the commutator if I didn't have a stone. Bill Sellon is his name , reckon he knows what he's talking about ? I thought so.

Uh, "you thought so" what? I always get somewhat lost when internet posters start to both ask, and answer their own questions.
    But anyway, you can use sandpaper if you want. You can use an Arkansas stone or a pipeliner file if you want or even a rock you found beside the road. These things have been done. But if long term reliability is a goal you're better off doing it right & proper.
    You CAN clean your spark plugs with a wire wheel on a 4" grinder, then wire the hood on with a coat hanger and put a new coat of house paint on the machine using a mop. Possibilities are endless.
    But most people depending on their machine to feed the kids won't do any of those things.
    Good luck with your welding machine and hopefully you'll treat it right.

Bozo.

Leave a comment:

• Showdog75
    replied
    [QUOTE=JTMcC;253278]
    Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    That is old school. QUOTE]

Where is that old school?
    Because some idiot(s) did it in the past doesn't make it old school. Or even well intentioned but uninformed dudes.
    The people who own and make a living with these machines have always carried a number of rocks.
    You insult the old timers who really knew better, may they rest in peace wherever they ended up.

JTMcC.

I talked to a guy yesterday that makes a living working on these things. He told me sandpaper would be fine to clean the commutator if I didn't have a stone. Bill Sellon is his name , reckon he knows what he's talking about ? I thought so.

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied
    Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
    ?????

I thought this was gonna become the "bash JT" thread

Cool.

Bozo

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied
    [QUOTE=Showdog75;253439]Not to funny from my point of view. Sonora was giving me some VERY helpful suggestions then this bozo comes along and fouls it all up. I would be ok with a little bs if this yahoo was giving some useful information himself but as has been pointed out he is worthless as far as giving anything of contributing value. Get a life.

QUOTE]

You've already got the correct answer.
    Go to the AWS forum, the SA200 section, and you can ask your questions of people, several of them, who have worked on hundreds or thousands of SA200's over the last few decades. That's how they make a living.
    I can't provide any "usefull information" beyond that because I've only worked on the few machines I've owned, keeping them running.
    Talk to experts, it saves time.

Bozo (or Yahoo, whichever you prefer).

Leave a comment:

• nfinch86
    replied
    Ethanol !

seattle, I started using Shell Premium 93 octane gas in my welder, there's "No Ethanol" in it at all !
    I sure costs more, But with all the bad things I heard about Ethanol in gasoline, well there's No Way I'm going to use regular gasoline in my 2009 Lincoln !

.......... Norm

Leave a comment:

• seattle smitty
    replied
    As for cleaning fuel tanks, one of the hot rodding magazines had an interesting short article recently on flexible fuel lines and how much more quickly they deteriorate in these days of ethanol and other additives to pump gas. The article talks about the better grade of racing fuel line, and the top-grade Teflon-lined stuff. Ordinary automotive-grade hose is good enough as long as it's understood that eventually it will start shedding little particles, so this is a part that ought to be replaced every few years on a preemptive basis.

Meanwhile, most mechanically savvy folks know that the ethanol in gasoline will gradually absorb moisture out of the air, rusting tanks and hard lines, plugging carburetor passages and injectors, and corroding what doesn't rust. I'm not for or against ethanol here, just that it means we have to pay attention to its peculiarities. Best to have the tank full if the machine is sitting long, which always was a good idea for avoiding condensation.

Those old fuel-line Gascolators, with a glass, see-through moisture trap were a good deal for spotting flakes of rust as well as water in the fuel, if you can find one; put it upstream from your filter and any pump.

I'm picking up a 40-plus year old step-van in a few days, and even though it's running fine, I think I'll pull the tank and do the hillybilly clean-up (after first dunking it in the hot-tank). I wouldn't want to take a chance on a coating, but sloshing some rust-converter (acid, followed by a neutralizer) over the bottom of the tank is normal practice.

And I'll put just a little 2-stroke premix oil in with the first tank of fresh fuel, just to spread a little oil over the inside of the tank and lines . . . valve-stems and guides and rings and grooves don't mind a little extra lube delivered via the fuel, either, especially when starting an engine that hasn't been run recently.
    Last edited by seattle smitty; 12-09-2010, 10:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rig Hand
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    You want us to believe you have such a vast amount of knowledge in welding and Lincoln welders, but yet you don’t volunteer any help. Perfect example is this thread. You were itching to get involved, and make your presence known but by nature you couldn’t / wouldn’t post anything constructive to help showdog, you just wanted to jump on me because in your opinion I didn’t use the term “Old School” Properly.
    Sounds like a typical 798 hand to me.

Leave a comment:

• 7A749
    replied
    Naaahhhh...

Soooo not worth my time.

He already knows what I think of him.

There's enough other guys waiting in the wings that will fight the next flame war just fine....

Leave a comment:

• JSFAB
    replied
    Originally posted by 7A749 View Post
    I'm done talking

?????

But, but,,, it was just starting to get good!!! I thought this was gonna become the "bash JT" thread .....

I'm just standing on the sidelines ....

Leave a comment:

• 7A749
    replied
    Yup. Pretty well the case. I'm sure a response will ensue. I'm done talking

Good luck with your machine.

Leave a comment:

• Showdog75
    replied
    I understand but not happy about some bozo with no contributions to this thread running off the only person who has been of great value. Childish it is.

Leave a comment:

• 7A749
    replied
    Oh, no....

Not even that. Not at all what you may have thought. Rest assured.....

McCracken loves to promote himself, pick a fight, show off, etc every single chance he gets. Just get a load of him on AWS if you don't believe me.

Sure, he knows his stuff. I'll give him that. The whole ego promoting deal & all so burnt out mantras are quite worn out tho.

Even tho he's been gone for months (no doubt, making a killing on that big, bad firing line), he always manages to show up when it comes to telling someone how little they know about welding, Lincoln machines, running a business, hustling, etc. I grew up on the West end of Vegas, slanging crack & banging with the gangs. Nobody's gonna tell me much about hustling I don't already know.

I know, John. I'm "just a bus driver"............. You kill me.......

He's no buddy of mine. Just so you know. Sonora & him have tangled before.

He's not really worth the time. He's on just about every welding/fabrication site on the internet, telling it "like it is".

I just thought it was funny. That's all.

Leave a comment:

• Showdog75
    replied
    Originally posted by 7A749 View Post
    Just too funny......
    Not to funny from my point of view. Sonora was giving me some VERY helpful suggestions then this bozo comes along and fouls it all up. I would be ok with a little bs if this yahoo was giving some useful information himself but as has been pointed out he is worthless as far as giving anything of contributing value. Get a life.

Now it would be nice if the person who starts a thread could delete anyone who attempts to stray the thread from the original intent.
    Last edited by Showdog75; 12-09-2010, 07:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X