No announcement yet.

Lincoln sa 200 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the tank's all rusty inside, like most are from sitting. Here's my process for trying to reclaim it.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic...pid=146921;hl=

Comment

I remember that thread!

FixaLinc is extremely knowledgeable on these old machines! Not sure if he's a member here or not. Yet to see him stumped on a problem with an SA-200 or an old tractor!
      Caution!
      These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Got the machine where it will crank and run pretty good. I've got alot of work to do for sure. It doesn't have power at the 110 volt recepticle but I haven't hooked any leads to it yet to see if it will weld. I had a guy at the local weld repair shop tell me to take some emory cloth to the exciter and that I may possibly have to do the same thing on the big generator. Thought I'd ask you before I proceed if this sounds right. The machine also will not idle down but when I get some time I will try the suggestions posted on Weldmart. Those instructions seemed fairly straight forward. I can't wait to weld with this puppy and hope I don't have a heap of non-working iron sitting in my carport. Thanks for all your help so far.
        Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
        Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
        Rockwell vertical mill
        Beverly Shear B-3
        Beverly Shear JR
        Home-made English wheel
        Milwaukee Porta-band
        " Sawz-all
        Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
        Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
        Powcon 300st

Comment

I've read where people in the know say not to do that! That is old school. Buy a stone! If you don't have 120-volt power most likely it won't weld. I bought a Red Face in the same situation as yours. Ran but no weld, it had 120-volts power tho. I removed all the brushes and cleaned the copper holders down to bright metal. Cleaned the brushes real good, and she welded. I suggest you do the same first!

If that doesn't work, start looking for broken wires, inside and out of the generator.
          Caution!

Comment

Picture maybe to dark to tell, but can you see how clean the copper brush holder is? The brushes have to be able to move freely!

Caution!

Comment

[QUOTE=Sonora Iron;253264] That is old school. QUOTE]

Where is that old school?
              Because some idiot(s) did it in the past doesn't make it old school. Or even well intentioned but uninformed dudes.
              The people who own and make a living with these machines have always carried a number of rocks.
              You insult the old timers who really knew better, may they rest in peace wherever they ended up.

JTMcC.
              Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

[QUOTE=JTMcC;253278]
                Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                That is old school. QUOTE]

Where is that old school?
                Because some idiot(s) did it in the past doesn't make it old school. Or even well intentioned but uninformed dudes.
                The people who own and make a living with these machines have always carried a number of rocks.
                You insult the old timers who really knew better, may they rest in peace wherever they ended up.

JTMcC.
                Heywhy don't you put me on your ignore list? This is the second time you've jumped all over me for writing my opinion!
                Caution!

Comment

Sonora , what did you clean the brush holders with ? Elbow grease and some contact cleaner ? I got myself a commutator stone and would like to know do I need to be able to use the stone when this thing is running if it's even possible or ? Hopefully when it warms abit I will be pulling all the stops to get this puppy running. I've got to figure out the idle soleniod and get all that in working order as the machine runs wide open for the time being. I've been reading all I can and hopefully it will run without to much effort. Btw I've been checking out idler boards and am curious if you like the one that Weldmart sells that has the three led lights or is there a better one ?
                  Rockwell vertical mill
                  Beverly Shear B-3
                  Beverly Shear JR
                  Home-made English wheel
                  Milwaukee Porta-band
                  " Sawz-all
                  Powcon 300st

Comment

[QUOTE=Sonora Iron;253279]
                    Originally posted by JTMcC View Post

Heywhy don't you put me on your ignore list? This is the second time you've jumped all over me for writing my opinion!

You're a thin skinned little feller aren't you.
                    But you didn't answer my question, Where is that old school?

JTMcC.
                    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Just too funny......
                      So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
                        You're a thin skinned little feller aren't you.
                        But you didn't answer my question, Where is that old school?

JTMcC.
                        Thin skinned? Yeah right. I try to avoid confrontation on these sites, but you seem to seek it out.
                        I can count on one hand, (and still have fingers left over) where you have actually helped anybody.
                        A large percentage of your posts are correcting people on terminological, which generally boils down to an opinion at best. The remaining percentage of your posts are trying to start fights.
                        You want us to believe you have such a vast amount of knowledge in welding and Lincoln welders, but yet you don’t volunteer any help. Perfect example is this thread. You were itching to get involved, and make your presence known but by nature you couldn’t / wouldn’t post anything constructive to help showdog, you just wanted to jump on me because in your opinion I didn’t use the term “Old School” Properly.

Appears you want to equate “Old School” with seniority. Let me see if it's even possible to educate you, so listen up! I know for a fact I'm your senior, I'm a great grandfather. I know your first family is grown, but don't think they have any children of their own. So you’re not even a grandfather yet! Far as work, I don't have the experience with pipe as you claim to have, but refuse to post pictures of your work. Your competitors sure don't have a problem doing it. On their website there are several close up pictures of their welds.
                        I was splicing beams, and columns before you were a twinkle in your daddy's eye. I'm sure all this is in vain because the best / smartest part of you ran down your mamma's leg!

Sorry showdog I would love to help you, but this guy is such a wet blanket it’s just not worth the effort. He reminds me of my ex-wife, just beats the life out of ya. Maybe he’ll stick around and help you, (I doubt it) history shows he’ll be out of work until late next spring when the hall calls him.
                        I suggest you post your questions on the AWS site, Kay Sellon monitors that site, she grew up working on these old machines. At least over there the other pipeliners put a muzzle on this big mouth real quick! If nothing else it’s hysterical to watch!
                        Caution!

Comment

Originally posted by 7A749 View Post
                          Just too funny......
                          Not to funny from my point of view. Sonora was giving me some VERY helpful suggestions then this bozo comes along and fouls it all up. I would be ok with a little bs if this yahoo was giving some useful information himself but as has been pointed out he is worthless as far as giving anything of contributing value. Get a life.

Now it would be nice if the person who starts a thread could delete anyone who attempts to stray the thread from the original intent.
                          Last edited by Showdog75; 12-09-2010, 07:23 PM.
                          Rockwell vertical mill
                          Beverly Shear B-3
                          Beverly Shear JR
                          Home-made English wheel
                          Milwaukee Porta-band
                          " Sawz-all
                          Powcon 300st

Comment

Oh, no....

Not even that. Not at all what you may have thought. Rest assured.....

McCracken loves to promote himself, pick a fight, show off, etc every single chance he gets. Just get a load of him on AWS if you don't believe me.

Sure, he knows his stuff. I'll give him that. The whole ego promoting deal & all so burnt out mantras are quite worn out tho.

Even tho he's been gone for months (no doubt, making a killing on that big, bad firing line), he always manages to show up when it comes to telling someone how little they know about welding, Lincoln machines, running a business, hustling, etc. I grew up on the West end of Vegas, slanging crack & banging with the gangs. Nobody's gonna tell me much about hustling I don't already know.

I know, John. I'm "just a bus driver"............. You kill me.......

He's no buddy of mine. Just so you know. Sonora & him have tangled before.

He's not really worth the time. He's on just about every welding/fabrication site on the internet, telling it "like it is".

I just thought it was funny. That's all.
                            So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

I understand but not happy about some bozo with no contributions to this thread running off the only person who has been of great value. Childish it is.
                              Rockwell vertical mill
                              Beverly Shear B-3
                              Beverly Shear JR
                              Home-made English wheel
                              Milwaukee Porta-band
                              " Sawz-all
                              Powcon 300st

Comment

Yup. Pretty well the case. I'm sure a response will ensue. I'm done talking

Good luck with your machine.

Comment

Working...
                                X