Syncrowave 350 lx worth the $$$?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 350 lx worth the $$$?

I am in the market for a bigger machine, I currently have a syncrowave 180 and find myself needing more amperage at times. I want to buy something I can grow into and not have to worry about buying a bigger machine. I found this welder for sale locally (when i say local I mean an 1 1/2 hrs away) I'm just wondering of its worth the money or if I should wait to find a newer model with the integrated cooler. This machine comes with a torch but no cooler, It has the pulser also. These machines dont come up for sale around here to often so I am seriously considering this one.
    Thanks for any input.

Heres a link
    http://westernmass.craigslist.org/tls/2042691620.html

Hey Jrc,
    A rule of thumb to follow for any transaction is: "What is the absolute $$$ I will pay? What is the absolute $$$ the seller will accept?"

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, of course with the opportunity to test it. I would wager that if the unit is as listed, your testing verifies it is in excellent condition, you simply pull exactly $2500 cash from your pocket & just say that you only work in even numbers & that is all you have. The economy definitely makes it a buyers' market. I've done really well this year picking up mint equipment(Miller & ESAB) for practically give-away prices. In addition, mentioning you have to invest in a cooler really limits your funds. CASH TALKS....BS WALKS. Bet you'll get it.

Denny
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Comment

i am here to tell you that the synchro350 is a power hungry BEAST.... when its on and bumping, if that lil meter outside had wings, it would create enough lift to pull the ground stake up..... just sayin.... after using the inverter based machines, its a hard sell for me to buy transformer machines anymore....

when the meter spins slower, means more money...well, means more money that my wife gets to take to the mall....
      welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
      www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

I totally agree. I doubt I buy any more transformer based machines either.
        They are right in there with carbs and drum brakes.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

you guys make a good point about the transformer machines, I should probably weigh all my options. Thanks for the input.

Comment

holy crap there worth that much i saw one on in a repo center for 300$ with cooler but no pulser runs perfect but dang thats a lot of $$$$
            Leblond Makino mills
            HAAS CNC SL-40 lathe
            American Pacemaker lathe
            wells index mill
            hydrotel rebuilt
            syncrowave 250
            diversion 165
            Miller Elite Vintage USA

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
              I totally agree. I doubt I buy any more transformer based machines either.
              They are right in there with carbs and drum brakes.
              I wonder whether these Hyundai boys are laying pipe with a suitcase inverter or a thousand-pound transformer machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SRaIwKNoqs

I don't know that much about this stuff, and I have never used an inverter machine, but my gut says a transformer machine is going to take the raging river of current on heavy aluminum, day-in and day-out, better than an inverter will handle it (even if the inverter is more efficient).

What say you big Dynasty boys?

What about you Syncrowave fans?
              Last edited by Helios; 11-09-2010, 09:57 PM.

Comment

If you've got the input amps it's very hard to beat the price/ value/ performance of a big old Sync. I'm in the Boston MA area and was able to screw this together off Craigs List and Ebay for less than $1K:
                Sync 300 with pulse and post flow
                Bernard SS cooler
                foot pedal
                micro switch
                new 20 series torch
                regulator

I don't think you can beat that.

The Sync you're loking at is a little expensive because it's newer. Problem is, it's functionally identical to my $600 '79 model (plus pulse and post flow). They aren't that hard to come by in our area. You can do better.

Comment

Just wanted to add, the 350s are not as popular as the 250s (even less portable and really want a 150Amp circuit). I've seen some for significantly less - like $1500 or so.

But the one in the ad looks like a later model.

Bottom line, you are spending enough money there, that you shouldn't discount an even wider search. Heck search all of craigslist and see what is out there.

Finally.
                  Keep in mind that a 250 transformer machine will do 300Amps for a short while. I think that 350 is at least a 400Amp machine. I'm sure there is a reason someone would want to TIG at 300-400 Amps, but realistically, at that point you might want to consider a MIG instead. I know its not a fair comparison, but do your really anticipate TIGing 1/2 plate? Aluminum is a different beast. In the $3000 range, with a bit of searching, you could find a Dynasty 300. That will make your aluminum TIG much easier. You will want a water cooler at some point but that can come later.
                  Con Fuse!
                  Miller Dynasty 350
                  Millermatic 350P
                  -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
                  Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
                  Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

I'm going to take the "non popular opinion" here.

The Syncrowave series (200, 250, and 350's) are all older technology (read proven), reliable, and great welders. I've owned a series of Sync 250's since 1977 and they've all been great machines.

If you've got the amps to run it (I'd like to see it on a 125A circuit), it's hard to beat the output for the buck. If you're limited to 100A on your circuit, you'd probably be better served with a Sync 250 as opposed to the 350 (output will be about the same).

Folks who complain about the machine being "power hungry" are not being realistic. For the average home user (even one who uses the machine a lot), the average monthly consumption difference between a transformer and an inverter will only amount to a few bucks a month difference. An industrial user who's running the machine 8 hrs a day, 7 days a week will see a difference, but then again not as much as you might expect.

The Sync 350 is a powerful, near bullet proof machine that will still be producing welds when you're old and grey. They lack a few of the "bells and whistles" of the inverters, but produce some great welds. A Sync 350 in experienced hands can produce better welds than a Dynasty 350 in an inexperienced welder's hands. Lots of "industrial users" still prefer the reliability of the transformer based machines. If you every had to pay for an "out of warranty" repair to an inverter, you'd understand where I'm coming from.

Proven technology and the most bang for the buck out there.

PS. I have both (transformer and inverter). If, at some point in the future, I buy a larger Dynasty, it will be to AUGMENT, not replace the Syncrowave. Maybe I'm just old school, but when I flip the switch on that Sync, I just KNOW it's going to come on and be ready to weld.

Actually don't think $2,500 is a bad price for that machine (rather late model). Make him an offer and see where it goes.
                    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200 DX
                    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                    Hobart HH187
                    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                    More grinders than hands

Comment

My point was I'm not gonna recommend spending top dollar for old technology anymore. Just bargains for the old stuff.
                      That machine could be a bargain for some folks.
                      I would certainly not buy that machine new. YMMV

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                      X