3g Jobs hiring under 18?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3g Jobs hiring under 18?

I'm going to come out of lurking to ask a question, I've finally gotten back into welding lately and am about to take my 3g test for 7018 in the next week or two(waiting for scheduling to pan out). The trouble I've found is finding anywhere I can get hired on part time in oklahoma since I'm under 18, do you guys think it's possible or am I wasting my time searching? Reason I ask is if there's a chance for me to get a part time shop gig I'll go ahead and take 3g mig also to make me more desirable but if there isn't a chance of being hired I'll go ahead and spend my time working towards 6g. And also I'm located in central Oklahoma. Any advice appreciated

I don't know about Oklahoma But here in California there are very few jobs a minor can apply for. Big time labor law issues.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

You'll need a 4G in addition to your 3G if you want to do structural plate welding. You won't need a 6G unless you intend to weld pipe. The world is going wire these days, so 3G/4G D1.1 fluxcore certs are just as valuable as D1.1 stick in structural jobs.

A mig cert isn't worth much, I wouldn't bother with it. Most manufacturing/production shops and general welding shops using mig dont require a mig cert. They will give you a pre employment test in house to see if you meet their own standards.
      Last edited by Desertrider33; 10-24-2010, 10:05 AM.
      Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
      Millermatic175
      MillermaticPassport/Q300
      HTP MIG200
      PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
      ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
      DialarcHF, Radiator-1
      Hypertherm PowerMax 380
      Purox oxy/ace
      Jackson EQC
      -F350 CrewCab 4x4
      -LoadNGo utility bed
      -Bobcat 250NT
      -PassportPlus/Q300
      -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
      -Suitcase8RC/Q400
      -Suitcase12RC/Q300
      -Smith oxy/propane
      -Jackson EQC

Comment

Yep. That's how it works.

However if you have the ability to stay in school and refine your technique, you will be well on your way.
        Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
        3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
        Miller Dynasty200DX
        ThermalArc 400 GTSW
        MillerMatic350P
        MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
        MKCobraMig260
        Lincoln SP-170T
        Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
        Hypertherm 1250
        Hypertherm 800
        PlasmaCam CNC cutter
        Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
        SiberHegner CNC Mill
        2 ea. Bridgeport
        LeBlond 15" Lathe
        Haberle 18" Cold Saw
        Doringer 14" Cold Saw
        6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
          You'll need a 4G in addition to your 3G if you want to do structural plate welding. You won't need a 6G unless you intend to weld pipe. The world is going wire these days, so 3G/4G D1.1 fluxcore certs are just as valuable as D1.1 stick in structural jobs.

A mig cert isn't worth much, I wouldn't bother with it. Most manufacturing/production shops and general welding shops using mig dont require a mig cert. They will give you a pre employment test in house to see if you meet their own standards.
          I plan on going back for my 4g eventually, I'm just wanting to get my 3g 7018 cert to get a start on qualifications. Thanks for the advice on the mig, I hadn't thought about that until now. I'd planned on having my instructor help me define my flux core skills(I've done a lot of flux core in the past but not too in depth) but I hadn't realized mig and flux core counted as two different certifications. Deffinately makes sense though, basically same feeders but they run nothing alike.

I haven't started playing with pipe in class yet but would like to get my 6g cert if I can master it. If I can become profficient at pipe I would like to go try my hand on a pipeline and see if I'm cut out for it or not before I finish college and get held down at a desk job.(mechanical engineer) But I guess I should quit planning so much since I'm only sixteen but still, I can't wait to be out there accomplishing something. Thanks for the advice guys
          Last edited by welder13; 10-26-2010, 04:25 PM.

Comment

18?

i live in alberta and started my first welding job at 16 yrs old. that sucks about the laws but good luck and keep on given er.

Comment

Under 18 and power tools do not go together in the US at this time, not legally anyway. I wish you the best of luck, just keep honing your skills for your 18th B-day.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
                Under 18 and power tools do not go together in the US at this time, not legally anyway. I wish you the best of luck, just keep honing your skills for your 18th B-day.

This thread is from 2 years ago, I would think he is 18 by now, properly doesn't need your age related advice any more. lol

Comment

Doooh, I hate it when people dredge up old threads and reply to them.!

Comment

come work with me 1 week see if you can hang and bang

Comment

so what if it is an old post, here we have a 17 year old kid wishing and wanting to go to work in our profession, if he pops up again, we should give him all of the help he needs, there are way too many kids today hanging around smoking dope and playing games on their Ipod. and getting fat,too,,who couldnt care less about working, if he was my kid,i would be very proud of him

Comment

let him work

Comment

Working...
                        X