No announcement yet.

Pipe Welding Tips ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very nice weld Sonora and especially the root!

Comment

Originally posted by Cornerstone View Post
      A very nice weld Sonora and especially the root!
      Well thank you Cornerstone, means a lot coming from an expert like yourself!

I would much ratter do this small pipe with Tig, things just happen way too fast for us old guys with SMAW on small pipe. For some reason there is a huge delay from my eye, to my mind, to my hand!
      Doing a root pass is much easier with Tig, but I use to kill the root with the hot pass until showdog told me to use a smaller filler rod on the hot pass, and only go up 5 to 10-amps.
      Caution!
      These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
        Yes Norm the 6010 was up hill!
        You and I don't come from a down hill world.

Here is the 7018 cap.

Sonora, I hear ya, about the reaction time slowing down.
        I turned 60 in Sept., between the eyes going south & slower timing , Wow ! I ain't 30 No more . lol .

Only, in my dreams could I hope to lay in some passes like yours ! Beauty man !

Anyway I'm feeling brave I'm going to try 6010 downhand & 7018 up .( all 3/32" )
        Should be fun, I'll see Monday Morn .

........ Norm
        www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

I did a job a while back made from mobile home beams, webs about 1/8 or so. Most fit was pretty good but every once in a while a goofed up one with gap. I really could tell by the end of the week how much easier it was than when I start. My welding is so limited anymore that the edge is off, easy to sit here and forget that. Also need to use glasses or a cheater especially on thin work.

Comment

So Norm how's the pipe welding going? Like to see an update!
            Caution!

Comment

Pipe Weldor - Not Me !

So Norm how's the pipe welding going? Like to see an update!
              Sonora;
              It went real well, 6010 down & 7018 uphand.
              After about 3hrs., my back muscles siezed up , right down the centre of my back ! Man I couldn't breath, thought i was havin' a heart attack !
              Well that was the "end" of my pipe welding career. LoL .

I guess I'm not used to being in that kind of position for 3hrs. !
              Oh, well I ain't a pipe weldor for sure .

............ Norm

Comment

I can certainly relate! Working on the pipe stands really gets to my legs. Kneeling down is bad enough, but standing back up while carrying the arc is tough on me. I think its because I have to stand up so slow.
                Caution!

Comment

I can certainly relate! Working on the pipe stands really gets to my legs. Kneeling down is bad enough, but standing back up while carrying the arc is tough on me. I think its because I have to stand up so slow.
                  Sonora, Yep, That's what got me too. Being down in that position & trying to carry an arc .
                  That's Not for me, the Old back can't do that stuff now or probably ever !
                  PS. None of it was rolled, all on the back of a flat bed truck .

......... Norm
                  Last edited by nfinch86; 11-01-2010, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Norm if it's low pressure and non code butt them tight or with a slight gap and weld them till they are full . It shouldn't be to hard if you are rolling them with mig. Just make sure the cap is above wall and you should be good. If it was code work I would sugest you let someone who does it for a living to do it. Hope this helps!! Jef

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked one View Post
                      Norm if it's low pressure and non code butt them tight or with a slight gap and weld them till they are full . It shouldn't be to hard if you are rolling them with mig. Just make sure the cap is above wall and you should be good. If it was code work I would sugest you let someone who does it for a living to do it. Hope this helps!! Jef
                      Thanks Jef; My pipe welding days are done, as it's way too hard on my back welding pipe in position ( Not Rolled )

Thanks ,
                      .......... Norm

Comment

i don't do much pipe but i thought I'd jump in. the root is 6010 up. i like to start at 7 o'clock and run my weld counter clockwise to 12 o'clock for my root then do my fill pass 5 o'clock to 12 clockwise. then my cover counter clockwise again. that way i over lap my start and stop's
                        Attached Files
                        TB 325
                        TB 302
                        dynasty 200sd
                        spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                        suitcase x-treme 12vs
                        miller 211
                        evolution rage 2

Comment

I know how you feel my friend I hate welding pipe period . Round and a round etc etc.. It takes a special guy who can do that. The replies above were very spot on though. 6010-6011 love to eat metal you got run with those up or down no prob. I LOVE the 7018 uphill nice smooth arc easy control no drama with them . I loved stick until I learned TIG now i try to TIG everything and yes they TIG pipe SS and Mild Steel. Alot of companies are actually getting away from Stick because of sparks fumes etc. They want TIG everything....Might want to get into that..

Comment

Working...
                          X