Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Welding Tips ?

Hey Guys;
    To begin with I'm Not a pipe weldor by any means.
    So I'm lookin' for some advice, next week I have a few 3" Non- high pressure pipe joints to weld.

It'll be 6010 root & 7018 fill & cap.
    Well I can't remember the last time I ran ant 6010 rods, let alone welded any pipe !

So any advice would be great !
    PS. - Is there any reason I couldn't mig weld it ?

.......... Norm
    www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Jeez Norm ,if you weren't so far away I'd gladly show you how. Its kinda hard to tell you when all us welders learn way better when someone shows us how. You must have some idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Cornerstone View Post
      Jeez Norm ,if you weren't so far away I'd gladly show you how. Its kinda hard to tell you when all us welders learn way better when someone shows us how. You must have some idea?
      Ya, But I'd rather mig weld them !
      I'm not framiliar with 6010 .
      At least all but one will be welded on pipe stands, only one will be be done in position.

As far as I understand the root ( 6010 ) will be done downhand, right ?
      Anyway I'll just have to figure it out on Monday.

........ Norm

Comment

Hi Norm, 3" pipe is small and I would use a 3/32 6010 to do it. If you can roll the pipe on some rollers you shouldn't have no problem with it, if you have to go up hand, put a 32.5 degree bevel with a "" same as the rod you're using "" 3/32 gap and a 3/32 landing.
        Going up hand, I point my rod a little down and almost pushing on the puddle. With a 3/32 gap and 3/32 rod the flux covering of the rod sits on your landing gap and you just have to follow up the puddle. If you need to open up the keyhole give it a tiny little gap.
        Hope this help.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
          Hi Norm, 3" pipe is small and I would use a 3/32 6010 to do it. If you can roll the pipe on some rollers you shouldn't have no problem with it, if you have to go up hand, put a 32.5 degree bevel with a "" same as the rod you're using "" 3/32 gap and a 3/32 landing.
          Going up hand, I point my rod a little down and almost pushing on the puddle. With a 3/32 gap and 3/32 rod the flux covering of the rod sits on your landing gap and you just have to follow up the puddle. If you need to open up the keyhole give it a tiny little gap.
          Hope this help.
          Thanks Daniel,
          I should be OK, most of it will be on rollers.
          I'm looking forward to doing something new !

Thanks again, .......... Norm

Comment

Well if its non-code then either will do depending which one your more proficient in. I'm sure you'll have it figured by Monday AM.

Comment

Go to www.AWS.org & enter the forums section.

Every pipe welder who's God's gift to manufacturing & then some is there.

I'm sure after sifting thru all the golden arm bragging & BS, you'll find what you need.
              So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
                Ya, But I'd rather mig weld them !
                I'm not framiliar with 6010 .
                At least all but one will be welded on pipe stands, only one will be be done in position.

As far as I understand the root ( 6010 ) will be done downhand, right ?
                Anyway I'll just have to figure it out on Monday.

........ Norm
                You could mig weld the root pass for sure. Alot of shops that do asme work on prefab piping run wire. They run hard wire roots with dual shield flux core for fill and cap. If you mig the roots, run you machine colder than normal. If you run hot, it likes to get suck back. But if your gonna roll it out, no need to worry about suck back.
                sigpic2007 dodge 3500 cummins

Comment

Originally posted by 7A749 View Post
                  Go to www.AWS.org & enter the forums section.

Every pipe welder who's God's gift to manufacturing & then some is there.

I'm sure after sifting thru all the golden arm bragging & BS, you'll find what you need.
                  But Steve...they're all honest and hard working.

Comment

Originally posted by sae350 View Post
                    You could mig weld the root pass for sure. Alot of shops that do asme work on prefab piping run wire. They run hard wire roots with dual shield flux core for fill and cap. If you mig the roots, run you machine colder than normal. If you run hot, it likes to get suck back. But if your gonna roll it out, no need to worry about suck back.
                    sae, yes, It's non-code.
                    He told me they use 6010 & 7018. I'd prefer to mig the root & finish with 7018.

I'll see what he says Monday Morning, I don't have any 6010 on hand anyway !

....... Norm

Comment

From one structural hand to another!

Norm I'm in the same boat as you, never done much pipe!
                      Here is what I'd do for the root, 37 1/2 degree bevel, 3/32” land, .050” gap, (could use .045 Mig wire) 3/32” 6010 @ 45 to 50-amps.
                      Hot pass, grind the toes of the root pass with a 1/16” disc, 3/32” 6010 @ 55-amps.
                      Fill pass, 3/32” 7018 @ 75 to 80-amps. Now this is all up hill!

Here is a 2” sch 80 6-G root, done the same way as above.

Caution!
                      These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornerstone View Post
                        But Steve...they're all honest and hard working.
                        I suppose most of them are, Bob.

Some of them are the biggest bragging blowhards on the internet tho.
                        So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                          From one structural hand to another!

Norm I'm in the same boat as you, never done much pipe!
                          Here is what I'd do for the root, 37 1/2 degree bevel, 3/32” land, .050” gap, (could use .045 Mig wire) 3/32” 6010 @ 45 to 50-amps.
                          Hot pass, grind the toes of the root pass with a 1/16” disc, 3/32” 6010 @ 55-amps.
                          Fill pass, 3/32” 7018 @ 75 to 80-amps. Now this is all up hill!

Here is a 2” sch 80 6-G root, done the same way as above.

Sonora; Are you running your 6010 uphand on the root as well ?
                          I thought 6010 was a downhand rod ?

I talked to him this morning, says he might have an un-opened box of 6010, I also bought a new 10lb. box of 3/32"- 7018 for tomorrow !

I'm a little nervous but looking forward to doing something New !
                          PS. - Thanks for your advice ,

......... Norm

Comment

I don't know what the preferred direction is in pipe welding, but 6010 runs equally well up or down.

Unless you're highly practiced running 7018 down, you'll probly make a mess of it, I know I do. I would run the 7018 up, even if down is the preferred direction among pipe weldors.
                            Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
                            Millermatic175
                            MillermaticPassport/Q300
                            HTP MIG200
                            PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
                            ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
                            DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                            Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                            Purox oxy/ace
                            Jackson EQC
                            -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                            -LoadNGo utility bed
                            -Bobcat 250NT
                            -PassportPlus/Q300
                            -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
                            -Suitcase8RC/Q400
                            -Suitcase12RC/Q300
                            -Smith oxy/propane
                            -Jackson EQC

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
                              Sonora; Are you running your 6010 uphand on the root as well ?
                              Yes Norm the 6010 was up hill!
                              You and I don't come from a down hill world.

Here is the 7018 cap.

Caution!
                              These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Working...
                              X