Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about popping for a new DIGITAL ELITE hood. WORTH IT????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto welding hood choice

I have had the chance to use all major brands of automatic helmets and I prefer the Optrel Satellite. Started using them, (Optrel), when they were only shade 10/11 because they were cheap. Went for more choices when they brought out the 9-13 and finally stepped up to the Satellite, range 5 to 13 and grind mode, which I think is has all of the best options and functionallity out there. No batteries, front lense cover is polycarbonite, which is very resistant to the hot sparks. Even after some major overhead 5p work I just take the lense cover off and use ultafine wet and dry sand paper quickly over the lense and then use some polish that I got from a plexiglass shop, comes out like new. I have a total of three lense covers and haven't had to buy any more in years. The lense cover also has a gasket seal on the inside that prevents the smoke from building up on the outside of the ADF, no batteries to replace as it is a solar only helmet, two position arc sensors and it accepts cheater lenses for us older guys. Grind mode and darkening selection can be done with gloves on without removing the helmet and the headgear is very durable. The outside controls has never been a problem for me personally and have found that most people will treat their helmet with more respect when they pay more $$$$$$$ for them. Just my opinion..

Comment

Originally posted by wronghand View Post
      Crawler30,

How did you get flashed using an automatic hood? Typically the light shade on any AD helmet is shade #5, which shouldn't give you a flash anyway.
      I've heard of guys gettin headaches from cheapo hoods but never an actual welders flash
      The hood (i dont remember the cheapo brand) had a knob and it was toward the temple of the hood when I tried to get more comfortable and leaned my head to get a better view in a tight space and it jerked a bit and guess I drag across the knob and it turned off and started to lift the hood a bit before I stopped. so I got the best of both worlds, the lens turned off and the chin of the hood was lined up about where I had been looking out the lens. Although not solely because of the lens turning off I suppose, (I should have explained better ) I still have a natural fear of having the adjustment on the outside even if its not a knob now. 13 to a sudden 5 is still not something I care to worry about on a constant basis when in tight spaces. Just my preference, I know plenty of guys that use them without complaint so I guess it works for some.

Comment

there has been several times i forgot to turn on my speedglas and welded 2" or longer beads before i noticed it was off. no big deal just a few stars for a minute.

ok my boy and i put the new dig elite through it's paces the last couple of days. we switched back and forth between the dig e and my yr old spleedglass 9100x. we got about 4-5 hrs apiece behind each hood a day doing stick, mig and a little tig. in the end we both decided the dig e was a nice hood and we both liked it, but the speedy won the duel hands down for comfort, smoothness of ratchet on head gear, outer lens replacement, lens fogging. for controls it was a draw. we both agreed that the speedglas had a slight edge over the dig e for clarity even with the scared outer lens cover. my boys first words when he handled it was "feels cheap and flimsy" but the graphics are sick (that means cool to us old dudes).i got the vintage USA for the copper color in hopes that it would reflect more of the hot sun outside. i would have liked it better without the graphics. i asked him which one he wanted to take to the welding tournament he's going to to represent his high school in regional and if you guessed old speedy you got it. so he cleaned it up and put a new outer cover on it.
        miller 225 bobcat
        miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
        mm175, mm211, TA181i
        mm252 w/30a spool gun
        precision tig 225
        hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
        Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
        hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
        victor journeyman & super range
        ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
        steel max and evolution carbide saws
        6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
        case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
        if first you don't succeed
        trash the b#####d

Comment

My favorite feature of the digital elite hood is the X-Mode. It works great when outside or when metal may block your view of the arc for a second because it turns dark based on sensing the magnetics of the arc, not the light of the arc. I never take mine out of that mode.
          Have a great day!

John Leisner
          Product Manager
          Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Owner and user of:
          Trailblazer 302 and Legend 301
          Smith Dual Guard oxy-fuel system
          Various borrowed Millermatics and Spectrums.

Comment

well 2 updates to my last post....my boy went to the 2 day tournament but he didn't get to compete in the 3 events, mig, tig and gas. (go figure no stick competition) there was over 120 kids there and the first day was just a warm up and some added instruction on some new equipment from different manufacturers reps. so the 2nd day was pretty hectic and each student was only allowed to participate in one event. my boy really wanted to at least do mig and gas. the kid cuts better and cleaner with a torch then i do with a plasma cutter. well his instructor wanted him to do mig so he went with that. took first place even the reps where talking to each other and agreed that it had been awhile since they had seen welds anything close to his. even the miller rep chuckled when he awarded him with his first place prize. my boy was standing there with speedglas 9100x in hand when the rep handed him his brand new miller pro hobby. nice hood for a newbie high school sophomore i thought. but my kid is kinda spoiled. he wants to be a underwater welder so i try to give him advantages that most of the kids in his class don't have access to, to help spur him along. well one of the kids in his class comes from a family that is struggling with the economy the way it is. the kid uses an old hand me down flip hood that has seen better days. he used it at the tournament to compete. he tried hard but didn't place. well that young man came home from the event with a brand new pro hobby hood. it's hard to decide if i'm more proud of his win or his act of kindness and display of friendship to his fellow welder.

number two update. still trying to get used to this new digital elite. i have been doing a little tig work out in the shop and grabbed the dig e and flash!!! my eyes went nuts for about 5 minutes. forgot to turn it on. when it happened i thought d**n that is much brighter than my speedglas. so a little later in the day i had to test it again and yep it is much brighter then the speedy. i have forgot to turn the speedglas on many times and never got blinded the way this miller hood did to me. i'm on the edge of wishing i had got the optrel for a second hood.
            miller 225 bobcat
            mm175, mm211, TA181i
            mm252 w/30a spool gun
            precision tig 225
            trash the b#####d

Comment

Congrats to your boy!

As for the digital Elite. Universally hated is the fact that its not auto-on. What miller was thinking I don't know. Perhaps concerned about x-mode.

What they need to do is combine x-mode with a less sensative light sensor. When light sensor kicks, turn the **** thing on. From then on, use x-mode.

As an alternative, how about x-mode on the 9400 helmets?

As for the Optrel, I think that's going to be my next helmet. external controls and it looks to be better for overhead (or in my case 'under car') welding. I'm a little concern by the smaller window size but I notice that even on the Miller I find my self only watching through a small area of the glass.
              Con Fuse!
              Miller Dynasty 350
              Millermatic 350P
              -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
              Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
              Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

i just ordered one hadnt got it yet, i m just wondering, what does "popping" mean?

Comment

Originally posted by byrdman86 View Post

i just ordered one hadnt got it yet, i m just wondering, what does "popping" mean?
                  springing for, schilling out, coughing up, putting out, buying the sucker.
                  miller 225 bobcat
                  mm175, mm211, TA181i
                  mm252 w/30a spool gun
                  precision tig 225
                  trash the b#####d

Comment

Originally posted by con_fuse9 View Post
                    Congrats to your boy!

As for the digital Elite. Universally hated is the fact that its not auto-on. What miller was thinking I don't know. Perhaps concerned about x-mode.

What they need to do is combine x-mode with a less sensative light sensor. When light sensor kicks, turn the **** thing on. From then on, use x-mode.

As an alternative, how about x-mode on the 9400 helmets?

As for the Optrel, I think that's going to be my next helmet. external controls and it looks to be better for overhead (or in my case 'under car') welding. I'm a little concern by the smaller window size but I notice that even on the Miller I find my self only watching through a small area of the glass.
                    thanks Con Fuse. the second time i got flashed was becuase i tried to turn it on with my glove on which is never a problem with the speedglas becuase it has an actual button not a touch pad. like any thing new it's takes some time to get used to. i'll give it a few more uses and if i can't find enough good reason to keep it i'll sell it and roll it over for the optrel 680. i haven't had a chance to checkout the head gear on the optrel yet. does anyone have an opinion on it's headgear over the Digital E. maybe i'm screwed up in my thinking but if you are going to make a hood with an on button make it go to say shade 9-10 in the off mode. when you put it on you will realize it's not on when you see black. this way, so what if you didn't turn it on. it would become a passive hood and not screw up the eyes. what do you guys think?....jim
                    Last edited by jbmprods; 03-10-2011, 07:28 PM.
                    miller 225 bobcat
                    mm175, mm211, TA181i
                    mm252 w/30a spool gun
                    precision tig 225
                    trash the b#####d

Comment

Congradulations

Jim, I'm real proud of your son. My neighbor son did the same thing, he won a FFA welding test, 2 days in a row and won 2 hoods, so he gave the next runner up a hood.
                      Nice to know there are still good kids in the world.
                      Best of luck to your son, water, I don't like water.
                      Bob
                      Millermatic 252 w/30A
                      Big Blue Air Pak
                      Ellis 3000 Band Saw
                      Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
                      8-RC
                      Dynasty 200 DX
                      XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
                      Millermatic 211
                      Passport Plus
                      Spectrum 625 X-TREME
                      Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
                      2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
                      SA-200 Black Face '59
                      SA-200 Green Lite '84
                      SA-200 Green Lite '80
                      SA-200 Red Face '69
                      SA-200 Red Face '66
                      SA-200 Green Lite '81
                      '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Miller View Post
                        Jim, I'm real proud of your son. My neighbor son did the same thing, he won a FFA welding test, 2 days in a row and won 2 hoods, so he gave the next runner up a hood.
                        Nice to know there are still good kids in the world.
                        Best of luck to your son, water, I don't like water.
                        Bob
                        thanks Bob. there are good kids still. he's going up to Shasta college Saturday for another tournament. just imagine if all this water we've been getting had an equal amount of fish in it we wouldn't have to fertilize huh.
                        miller 225 bobcat
                        mm175, mm211, TA181i
                        mm252 w/30a spool gun
                        precision tig 225
                        trash the b#####d

Comment

6 auto on

With a choice of 6 auto on helmets, I had to choose the one of 2 that was manual on.
                          To the OP, if you can remember to turn on the helmet all the time get the Digital Elite, if not get the Elite.

Jim, I just finished fertilizing yesterday, a little rain at night would set the fertilizer.
                          Good Luck,
                          Bob
                          Millermatic 252 w/30A
                          Big Blue Air Pak
                          Ellis 3000 Band Saw
                          Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
                          8-RC
                          Dynasty 200 DX
                          XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
                          Millermatic 211
                          Passport Plus
                          Spectrum 625 X-TREME
                          Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
                          2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
                          SA-200 Black Face '59
                          SA-200 Green Lite '84
                          SA-200 Green Lite '80
                          SA-200 Red Face '69
                          SA-200 Red Face '66
                          SA-200 Green Lite '81
                          '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Comment

I have 2 Miller elites and love them. However a good rule of thumb i have adopted is before you ever strike an arc always always press the reset button lol ALWAYS.. then you should have no probs at all. Oh almost forgot if you use the grind mode dont forget to set it back to your preferred shade lol . Yeah nothing better then a 1/8 rod arc in grind mode to give you nice plate shaped saucers in your eyes for about 5 mins lol

Comment

Originally posted by jworman View Post
                              I had a Miller hood. I don't know what model, and I didn't buy it new. It worked very poorly. I finally threw it away.

I bought a Jackson EQC hood new, some years ago. It has worked fine, but there is some sort of grunge that seems to be growing in the lens area. It hasn't been a problem yet, but I think that is where the failure will be.

Last year Harbor Freight had their blue flame hood on sale for $20. I bought one. I really like it. The lens is a big as the EQC. I don't have to remember to turn it on. So far, I've been lucky and I haven't dropped it. I have to say, it's usually the hood I reach for.

i dont like the Jackson EQC or any auto darckening helmut because i can see a varation in the shade accross the lens, and i always feel like a have been flashed alot through out the day. then again i use a shade 12 for low amp tig
                              weld to live live to ride

Comment

I have had no problems and really like my digital elite hood.

Definatly a class act you taught your son!Nice to see some good people left in this world.He will go far with a father like you teaching him!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X