Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about popping for a new DIGITAL ELITE hood. WORTH IT????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought the D elite for two reasons: first it was on sale, second I thought it was auto on.
    I was disappointed to find out it was not auto on. You would think top of the line would have everything.
    Might be just my hood, but I have to push so hard on the "on" button, the lens pops out on the front. I have to hold the lens in while I turn it on.
    Otherwise it works fine. For me an auto hood is a necessity for tig welding, by the time I drop a regular hood I don't know where my hands are. Just me?
    My other auto hood is a Jackson EQ. It works fine, but the battery is dead.
    Both have flashed me by turning off.
    I'm still looking.
    Good Luck,
    Bob
    Millermatic 252 w/30A
    Big Blue Air Pak
    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
    8-RC
    Dynasty 200 DX
    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
    Millermatic 211
    Passport Plus
    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
    Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
    2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
    SA-200 Black Face '59
    SA-200 Green Lite '84
    SA-200 Green Lite '80
    SA-200 Red Face '69
    SA-200 Red Face '66
    SA-200 Green Lite '81
    '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Comment

Auto hood

Had an Optrel hood with the wide lense with 2 shades (10 & 11). Twisted the hood lense fell out and broke when it hit the floor. Really did like the hood though paid $125 like 7 yrs ago worth the money.

My Elite is a pain in the *** turning it on and adjusting through the headgear. Nice helmet but not worth the $300. The grind mode isn't worth the bother you'll do more damage than good to your project grinding through a #5 shade. Keep it in the shop for TIG only from now on.

Just bought an Optrel 2x4" "Speed Lense" shade 10 fits a regular $20 dollar hood. Bought it for the field don't have to worry about sticky fingures my helmet looks just like any cheap company supplied crap. Only I know its got an auto lense in it. You can pack the lense in an eyeglass case anywhere you need to go use any cheap hood you want. Paid under a $100 for it at Praxair.
      Bobcat 225
      The rest is bright RED "Tig & GMAW"
      Just got a new Hypertherm 30

Comment

i just picked up a dig elite today. i'll try it out tomorrow and see how it compares to my speedglas 9100x. love the speedglas but wanted a second hood. thought about a 2nd 9100x but who drives two identical pickups. Bob, the buttons on this one are so touch sensitive that if i push them to hard i have to back up. of course that might change with use. the manuel on is not a problem since i've gotten used to automatically turning it on with my speedglas
        Last edited by jbmprods; 03-02-2011, 12:14 AM.
        miller 225 bobcat
        miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
        mm175, mm211, TA181i
        mm252 w/30a spool gun
        precision tig 225
        hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
        Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
        hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
        victor journeyman & super range
        ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
        steel max and evolution carbide saws
        6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
        case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
        if first you don't succeed
        trash the b#####d

Comment

I like mine

but dont have anything to compare it to except a Northern Tool cheapie. Is it
          worth the money ? I guess so but not an exceptional price. Got mine from Cyberweld.

old but new

Comment

I bought a Digital Elite shortly after they first came out, and fell in love with the X Mode. If you work in the bright sun, or doing low amp TIG work, you will very much appreciate the X Mode feature. My partner (son) was always dead set against the electronic hoods, having tried friend's hoods several different times, but one day he tried my Digital Elite hood, and then ordered one for himself. We must have 5 or 6 non-electronic hoods around here, but the Digital Elites are the only ones that get used now.

Charley
            2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
            2 O/A torch sets
            DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
            DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
            DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
            Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
            Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
            Milwaukee 9" Grinder
            2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
            Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
            Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
            Too many hand tools

Comment

Originally posted by wronghand View Post
              Go Optrel-- they're lighter and more user friendly. The Sattelite or the E680 (just a wide screen version of the Satellite).
              Yep Go Optrel, just say NO to overpriced chinese Miller welding hoods.
              The Optrel has the best optics in the buisness [made in Switzerland].

Your eyes your choice.
              America, Clinging to our Guns and Religon since 1776.

Comment

Originally posted by Phewzer View Post
                Yep Go Optrel, just say NO to overpriced chinese Miller welding hoods.
                The Optrel has the best optics in the buisness [made in Switzerland].

Your eyes your choice.
                actually mine says made in Korea, 1st question is, would that be South or North?
                2nd, is that the hood, lens or both?
                miller 225 bobcat
                mm175, mm211, TA181i
                mm252 w/30a spool gun
                precision tig 225
                trash the b#####d

Comment

I got flashed pretty bad being out of position in a tight space and using a helmet with the adjustment on the outside so i refuse to use them since then. I have a miller elite I have used for 3-4 years I got new for $180 on ebay and have been perfectly happy with it. I do like the speedglass but not the one with the outside adjustment. You can get the black elite on ebay new for around $240 free shipping.

Comment

I was using an older (First Generation) automatic sensing helmet. It broke after it was dropped about 30 feet. I went out and bought the D-Elite. I like the helmet compared to the old one. The lens reacts quickly and it is easy to adjust without gloves on. This is the downfall. You must set the helmet before use, or remove the glove to reach "inside" to set the button. The buttons need to be larger for use with gloves. I have never used the X mode, so I can not comment on it's use.

Comment

I use the x mode for

plasma cutting. works good.

old but new

Comment

I've had a D-Elite for three years. Liked it until two months ago and it started acting up. It was flashing me all the time. Now in weld mode it won't lighten - always dark no matter what the adjustments or conditions. Changed the batteries same story.

Comment

I had a Miller hood. I don't know what model, and I didn't buy it new. It worked very poorly. I finally threw it away.

I bought a Jackson EQC hood new, some years ago. It has worked fine, but there is some sort of grunge that seems to be growing in the lens area. It hasn't been a problem yet, but I think that is where the failure will be.

Last year Harbor Freight had their blue flame hood on sale for $20. I bought one. I really like it. The lens is a big as the EQC. I don't have to remember to turn it on. So far, I've been lucky and I haven't dropped it. I have to say, it's usually the hood I reach for.

Comment

Crawler30,

How did you get flashed using an automatic hood? Typically the light shade on any AD helmet is shade #5, which shouldn't give you a flash anyway.
                            I've heard of guys gettin headaches from cheapo hoods but never an actual welders flash
                            Big Blue 400D
                            Trailblazer 302
                            Miller S-32 suitcase
                            12VS suitcase
                            Lincoln LN-7 (BIG suitcase)
                            Victor torches
                            Lincoln 350MP with 35' push-pull gun
                            Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375
                            Spectrum 1000 plasma cutter

Comment

Originally posted by jbmprods View Post
                              i just picked up a dig elite today. i'll try it out tomorrow and see how it compares to my speedglas 9100x. love the speedglas but wanted a second hood. thought about a 2nd 9100x but who drives two identical pickups. Bob, the buttons on this one are so touch sensitive that if i push them to hard i have to back up. of course that might change with use. the manuel on is not a problem since i've gotten used to automatically turning it on with my speedglas
                              Jim, I tried it again today, still had to push real hard to get it to turn on. I did think maybe I was pushing it to hard after your above post.

To the OP, There is a stop on the head gear that holds the hood at one of 4 angles and keeps the hood from hitting you in the adams apple when you drop it. On my hood it keeps popping off of the pin everytime I drop the hood.
                              Good Luck,
                              Bob
                              Millermatic 252 w/30A
                              Big Blue Air Pak
                              Ellis 3000 Band Saw
                              Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
                              8-RC
                              Dynasty 200 DX
                              XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
                              Millermatic 211
                              Passport Plus
                              Spectrum 625 X-TREME
                              Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
                              2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
                              SA-200 Black Face '59
                              SA-200 Green Lite '84
                              SA-200 Green Lite '80
                              SA-200 Red Face '69
                              SA-200 Red Face '66
                              SA-200 Green Lite '81
                              '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Miller View Post
                                Jim, I tried it again today, still had to push real hard to get it to turn on. I did think maybe I was pushing it to hard after your above post.

To the OP, There is a stop on the head gear that holds the hood at one of 4 angles and keeps the hood from hitting you in the adams apple when you drop it. On my hood it keeps popping off of the pin everytime I drop the hood.
                                Good Luck,
                                Bob
                                sorry to hear that Bob. mine is new so maybe i got lucky or they changed something. but time will tell. wouldn't be the first time i got something and it turned to crap after a while. i will say i like the headgear on my speedglas better.
                                miller 225 bobcat
                                mm175, mm211, TA181i
                                mm252 w/30a spool gun
                                precision tig 225
                                trash the b#####d

Comment

Working...
                                X