Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harbor freight auto drain kit re-design for 17 bucks

http://www.harborfreight.com/automat...kit-46960.html

the 9 dollar auto drain kit does not even work out of the box,,, no big surprise there,, but here is how i re-designed the junk so it works.

first take it apart pull the 1in flapper out and throw it away. doing this fixes the unit....

next you will need Grainger Item # 2VKR6 for $17.37

this is the correct tubing,, as the tubing they give you will blow out at 100psi and or melt.

after that,,, take a tiny c clamp and clamp the tube down to limit the air flow,,, and it works like a charm.
    Anything you could do, I could do better.
    I can do anything better than you!
    Lockheed Martin
    Armco Steel, Baltimore
    USW local #3185

I'd like to install an auto drain. However, just today I bolted my compressor down to the floor with carriage bolts,,, putting the nuts under the floor where it sits.

Ment I had to crawl under my building and reach under this other low floor to tighten the nuts. I strained my butt off for a good while to reach two of them, dropped one nut and that was another ten minutes finding it in the dirt and spider webs.

Laying on my side under there, I used a flashlight to get a visual where the bolts came through with my head pressed to the dirt with one eye looking. Doing so I seen spiders crawling thu webs right where my arm had to pass.

I did it anyway, but never again. If I have to move the compressor for any reason I'll be grinding the heads off them bolts.

I guess now installing a better drain is out of the question. I still itch from the thought of those spiders.

Comment

http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-compressor-drain-kit-46960.html

I just installed the same auto drain on mine two weeks ago have had no issues with it yet, but it is a product from HF. so i will assume it will just be a matter of time before it fails but then again maybe it will just keep working who knows with HF items and tools some are ok and others are just a waste of money.

Peace out'
      CH!

Comment

[QUOTE=Hardrock40;248930]Laying on my side under there, I used a flashlight to get a visual where the bolts came through with my head pressed to the dirt with one eye looking. Doing so I seen spiders crawling thu webs right where my arm had to pass.QUOTE]

were they ugly as this one.

JK; I don’t like spiders either they are just evil creatures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2006_1004Image0004.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	510676
        Click image for larger version

Name:	2006_1004Image0003.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	510677
        Last edited by CrazyHorse!; 10-12-2010, 10:16 PM.

Comment

I use one of those "pull the cable" ones they use on semis. All ya gotta do is pull the cable once in awhile and hold it till the water quits... Works for me. Got it from a place that works on semis.
          Professional firefighter (retired). Amateur everything else I try to do...
          Oh yeah: GO BIG RED!

Comment

stugots you forgot the last step. You have to drill a hole in an exterior wall and run a drain tube out it. So you don't have to listen to the noise or draining it or find a place for the water.

-Dan
            Owner
            DW Metalworks LLC
            Miller Trailblazer 302
            Miller 8RC Feeder
            Miller Passport Plus
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
            Hobart Handler 135
            Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
            Smith O/A Torch Set
            Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Comment

[QUOTE=CrazyHorse!;248956]
              Originally posted by Hardrock40 View Post
              Laying on my side under there, I used a flashlight to get a visual where the bolts came through with my head pressed to the dirt with one eye looking. Doing so I seen spiders crawling thu webs right where my arm had to pass.QUOTE]

were they ugly as this one.

JK; I don’t like spiders either they are just evil creatures.

[ATTACH]25007[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH]25008[/ATTACH]
              What the heck is that thing? Glad there are none of those around here. How big is it?

Comment

Originally posted by strube1369 View Post
                I use one of those "pull the cable" ones they use on semis. All ya gotta do is pull the cable once in awhile and hold it till the water quits... Works for me. Got it from a place that works on semis.
                Had one on my old compressor it was just plain simple! but might go get one and change this one out. just because' It will be to easy to just depend on the auto drain and start to shoot some paint only to find it might of faild.

Comment

[QUOTE=striker12300;248965]
                  Originally posted by CrazyHorse! View Post

What the heck is that thing? Glad there are none of those around here. How big is it?
                  It's Called a Tanzanian Ugly Spider; fairly big bug

Comment

Thats the worst looking thing I have ever seen. I'm a goner if something like that gets on me.

Had a huge spider in the bathroom on night. I mean it would cover the palm of ya hand.

I killed it, finally. The next day I had to run an Ethernet cable under the house.

Thought I hope I don't see anything like that under there. Well there I was in a tight spot, couldn't go backwards, not fast anyway and here one of them rascals came.

I threw a couple dirt clods, missed and it got right at me and got a web around its leg. It was jumping and running around like crazy and I was swinging that little mag light like crazy myself.

Finally got it but my nerves were shot for days.

Comment

Spiders arent out to get you

I spend a lot of my time working in crawlspaces and out here in California about 50% of them have lots of big fat shiny Black widows among the others,When I go in initially the crawlspaces are flooded so the added insects from the water serves to feed lots of spiders and makes for a bumper spider population in the crawlspace,Some of the jobs are so bad that you shine the light in to get a tool out of your bag and you see they are even in your tool bag.Personally I dont freak out about them as long as I can keep an eye on them Im O.K I look at it this way Im in their enviroment, and as long as they stay where I can see them I have no need to kill them.The only spider I even remotely worry about is the recluse and I dont even know if they exist for sure in California.Most people who think they have a spider bite it usually turns out to be something completely different like an ingrown hair or something LOL.Mike

Comment

my gf got bit a few weeks ago by what i thought was a recluse from seeing it. it was hiding in her towel on the rack by the shower in the bathroom. it bit her while she was drying off. i put it in a paper towel to show the doc and he took one look at it and said it was a Wolf spider. we live in N. Ca also and he said there are no recluse spiders here but lots of wolf spiders and although they look the same in body the colors are different but the bite is just as potent. what makes the bite so bad is not the venom they inject, its the infection it causes after. it can attack the internal organs. he put her on some pretty heavy duty antibiotics to ward off any infection.
                        miller 225 bobcat
                        miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
                        mm175, mm211, TA181i
                        mm252 w/30a spool gun
                        precision tig 225
                        hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
                        Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
                        hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
                        victor journeyman & super range
                        ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
                        steel max and evolution carbide saws
                        6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
                        case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
                        if first you don't succeed
                        trash the b#####d

Comment

Working...
                        X