Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Jig

Hi All,
    Its been a while since my last post, did a search on "Frame Jig" and didn't find to much.

We build a lot of rectangular frames out of tube steel (like many guys do) and I was looking for some ideas on a jig that could sit on the welding table to hold the 4 parts of a frame square. It would need to be adjustable, have one fixed point (0,0) and the the 3 other corners would be adjustable. I was hoping to build something myself as we are on a small budget, any ideas would be appreciated.
    Chris
    87' Mustang GT - Blown 306 Road Racer
    Millermatic 210
    Spectrum 375
    [email protected]
    www.ckvalentidesigns.com

I have one thats like 42" sq made up of 2x3 tube. Then i welded some 3/4" pipe in the inside corners that stick up an inch or so. I mainly use it for a painting fixture for my wrought iron but i do make frames in it. I just clamp the 2 sides against the pipes then make the other 2 sides and weld them together. The one end can sit on jack stands because its already sq. Just my idea that works well...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Hey Chris,
      Bob(aamm) has given you a good idea to start contemplating. I will give you another. I ran the metal dept of the company I retired from recently & I made all the jigs/fixtures for multiple production runs. I also did a lot of sq. & rect. framing that had to be modified by cutting & re-welding. I made an adjustable frame by using 1 1/2" sq. tubing(outside frame) & 1 1/4" sq. tubing(inside) for telescoping for length & width. I simply welded 3/4" nuts on the outside tubing w/3/4"holes drilled to lock into position with 3/4" bolts. It worked quite well, although you didn't indicate the sizes you are working with & the amount of movement you need, so it's hard to suggest dimensional configurations.

Denny
      * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
      * Mobile unit *
      * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
      * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
      * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
      * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Comment

Jig for what?Piece work of how many?Make one...built jig around prototype.If anything is less than a "one of "..there's no need for a jig.Asking how to make a jig is a "oxy moron" question.There is no right answer....replies would be endless.It's based on what you are making....
        ''True genius,in many fields of human endeaver,is often revealed in elegant simplicity"

Comment

Hey reggie,
          Your reply to the OP is out in the twilight zone of left field.

A) The OP informed the forum: "a lot of rectangular frames". That means MORE THAN 1..... this would mean a jig/fixture would be applicable.

B) Yes, a jig is built around a prototype for multiple piece production. The OP already stated: "it would need to be adjustable". That indicates that he needs to produce multiple frames of DIFFERENT CONFIGURATION..... thus his query stating: "one fixed point (0,0) & the 3 other corners would be adjustable." What is so hard to comprehend with his parameters? You're defintion of "oxy-moron" is ridiculous pertaining to this post. Matter of fact.... you're response is an "oxy-moron".....

Denny
          * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
          * Mobile unit *
          * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
          * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
          * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
          * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Comment

Originally posted by yorkiepap View Post
            Hey reggie,
            Your reply to the OP is out in the twilight zone of left field.

A) The OP informed the forum: "a lot of rectangular frames". That means MORE THAN 1..... this would mean a jig/fixture would be applicable.

B) Yes, a jig is built around a prototype for multiple piece production. The OP already stated: "it would need to be adjustable". That indicates that he needs to produce multiple frames of DIFFERENT CONFIGURATION..... thus his query stating: "one fixed point (0,0) & the 3 other corners would be adjustable." What is so hard to comprehend with his parameters? You're defintion of "oxy-moron" is ridiculous pertaining to this post. Matter of fact.... you're response is an "oxy-moron".....

Denny
            Gonna sit on a welding table...lay out table,tack stops ,when need for extenstion required on other members ,knock stop off ,tack to required dimension.Pretty simple.Do you know what a welding table is for?Simplicity
            ''True genius,in many fields of human endeaver,is often revealed in elegant simplicity"

Comment

Originally posted by reggie View Post
              tack stops ,when need for extenstion required on other members ,knock stop off ,tack to required dimension.Pretty simple.Do you know what a welding table is for?Simplicity
              Well that's how I do it.

Agreed, keep it simple, and fast!
              Caution!
              These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I would like to avoid tacks and use an adjustable locking system like the bolts. Not looking for much movement in the frame and want it to be robust so squareness isn't compromised.
                Chris
                87' Mustang GT - Blown 306 Road Racer
                Millermatic 210
                Spectrum 375
                [email protected]
                www.ckvalentidesigns.com

Comment

drill holes and bolt the stops down.... pretty soon, you will have a swiss cheese table... i agree w/ sonora....and reggie (kinda) on this one.... make the jig for one size frame and build all of them that are that size, knock the according stops loose and tack them on for the next sized dimensions and so on, then move out smartly... a welding table is meant for welding, you gonna get welding goobs all over it, you gonna have to pass a grinder over it, you gonna have to do it anyway.... it is what it is....

while technology is great and precise, sometimes using a cannon to kill a mosquito takes tooooo danged long. time = money for each drop of sweat has a price tag, yeah?
                  welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
                  www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

Working...
                  X