• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nfinch86
    replied
    Faceshield !!!!!

Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
    Norm,I have no doubt that the grinder would easily puncture or destroy the faceshield in a catastrophic failure of the wheel.But in the event of metal debri or a slight failure of a wheel it can still offer some protection For instance the shield could deflect a large chunk of wheel if it strikes at a glancing angle.Personal habits also can help I have a bad habit of getting my face close to zip wheels when im trying to get a cut as precise as possible.I think I will make a conscious effort to change that.Mike
    Mike;

Yes, I agree it will or should help.
    It's also a good idea, as you stated to keep one's head off to the side while grinding or using a zip wheel, I know I do !

.......... Norm

Leave a comment:

• nocheepgas
    replied
    I used to use Sait wheels but have switched to Pferd. They seem to be made much better than others out there and are very durable. They withstand impact damage very well, which makes me believe they are also less likely to come apart under normal use.

Leave a comment:

• crawdaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
    Mike, Many years ago ( mid 70's ) I saw a pipefitter have one go right through his face shield & it embeded in his forhead !

When those things let go it's like a piece of shrapnel, can cause big damage to one's body parts !

.......... Norm
    Norm,I have no doubt that the grinder would easily puncture or destroy the faceshield in a catastrophic failure of the wheel.But in the event of metal debri or a slight failure of a wheel it can still offer some protection For instance the shield could deflect a large chunk of wheel if it strikes at a glancing angle.Personal habits also can help I have a bad habit of getting my face close to zip wheels when im trying to get a cut as precise as possible.I think I will make a conscious effort to change that.Mike

Leave a comment:

• gwiley
    replied
    Thanks for the reminder. The polycarbonate face shield is going to stay on my face for sure.

The other day I had to get under a truck for suspension repairs, grinding away, figured I didn't need to grab the beanie. Didn't take long for the smell of burning hair followed by the pain in the top of the head to remind me that I own a welding beanie for a good reason (which is not to decorate the bench).

Short cuts with PPE usually don't matter, you can get away with it most of the time, it is just that ONE quick event that catches up to you.

Leave a comment:

• HMW
    replied
    Oh that sucks. I had a similar run in with a grinder a couple of years ago. Was grinding open a steering arm on an old tractor so it would clamp tighter..holding with one hand grinding with the other, other end still hooked to tractor, of course you know the grinder caught and went right up my thumb, 10 stitches later....I'm much more careful..Gloves and face shield..Can't be too careful..Mine i could have prevented, yours you can't do anything about except wear proper protective equipment is all..good luck

Leave a comment:

• wroughtnharv
    replied
    I have a carbide tipped wood carving blade for angle grinders. I left the tool at a client's house where I was building a pergola. He decided to help me out with some trimming. All was well until his son interupted him and he stuck the blade on the wind down into his own palm.

Think putting your hand on the end of a chainsaw at about half throttle.........

Leave a comment:

• nfinch86
    replied
    Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
    From now on I will be wearing the face shield instead of leaving it hanging collecting dust.Mike
    Mike, Many years ago ( mid 70's ) I saw a pipefitter have one go right through his face shield & it embeded in his forhead !

When those things let go it's like a piece of shrapnel, can cause big damage to one's body parts !

.......... Norm

Leave a comment:

• crawdaddy
    replied
    From now on I will be wearing the face shield instead of leaving it hanging collecting dust.Mike

Leave a comment:

• crabber
    replied
    I have a wicked scar from a grinder.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...hlight=graphic

Be careful!

-Ian

Leave a comment:

• jrscgsr
    replied
    Good thing you had the leathers on. Zip disks scare me. I always wear a full face shield and safety glasses when using one. I've seen friends take one full rpm across the chin attached to the grinder (lots of blood stiches and chin bone showing) to them blowing apart and causing shrapnel injuries. Any pics of the battle wound. Sorry had to ask

Leave a comment:

• odleo
    replied
    Sorry to hear about your injury Hope you get better soon

Leave a comment:

• jessehornberger
    started a topic ouch!

ouch!

Today at work I was using a 4 ½” cutoff wheel and it blew up! It flew and hit me in the fore-arm. I had on a leather sleeved welding jacket and it still did lots of damage. Lots of blood, and now stitches. As if Mondays are not bad enough!
Working...
X