• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
    turns out, that is kinda an expensive book
    Dust off your billfold!

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qi...dition*buyused
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Sonora,
      Which numberts are different? I have Ryerson's stock book right here also, I could see if it's just a typo.

Comment

W-8X24, 5-foot span, Ryerson = 50,000. Manual of Steel Construction = 56,000.
        Caution!

Comment

Maybe Ryerson is covering their butts. Look at the bottom notation on the page I attached earlier. "Load above heavy line is limited by max. allowable web shear."
          BTW, I think we're looking at two different types of Ryerson books.

Comment

I need to install pumps,,,, on 12' tall columns. Not a big deal, usually. Previously, generally do this, with whatever is lying around, eyeball it, it looks strong enough, just do it. This time, there is a public entity involved, just in case I have to justify my engineering .....
            Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Originally posted by NMWelds View Post
              I think we're looking at two different types of Ryerson books.
              Or I could be reading it wrong!

I need to install pumps,,,, on 12' tall columns. Not a big deal, usually. Previously, generally do this, with whatever is lying around, eyeball it, it looks strong enough, just do it. This time, there is a public entity involved, just in case I have to justify my engineering .....
              I'm sure you have enough profit penciled in to afford a $64.00 book.
              Caution!

Comment

Ha, last job I did in this area, about ten years ago, had to cut my way in with a chainsaw, had to cut even more to get the excavator in. Replaced an old wooden tower pump with a new steel structure. The nature people tied little cute colored flags to everything we weren't supposed to drive over, or cut, we simply moved the flags before cutting or driving. As I recall, I saved a lotta weeds.

Tower pump, btw, means a pump motor that is set high enough, and the electrical boxes also, that there is no danger of them being submerged in water, even during the spring floods.

This one was something like 25-30 feet above grade, left only about ten feet of the original wood pilings, chain-sawed them off, just enough as a guide for the new steel pilings,,,,, The original wooden one lasted 60 years, outlasted the original builder, I expect this one to outlast my lifespan.

If I get a chance the next couple months, I'll grab a picture .....
                Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post

I'm sure you have enough profit penciled in to afford a $64.00 book.
                  Cheapest I saw that book was $137,,,, maybe I should raise my profit percentage??????

Comment

$70 is a lot of money, you know, Sonora.

Comment

$70 is a lot of money, you know, Sonora.
                      OMG! You cheap sum beach!
                      If I had your money I'd burn mine to keep warm.
                      Caution!

Comment

Uh-uh-uh ..... we are not allowed to burn money here in California anymore, too polluting I guess.

Comment

Which is worse, your PG&E bill in the summer or winter? Wait until you see the rate hikes after that explosion over in San Bruno!
                          Caution!

Comment

Actually, both about the same, about $300 per month. For two houses, my friend Antonio rents one. Least he understands,,, last anglo guy here thought electricity and gas was free, took off three days at a time left the air on.

The PUC has assured us, the shareholders of PG&E will bear the costs, while I do own some utility stocks, no PG&E that I can find. It's great to be dumb, stupid, and naive, isn't it???????????

Comment

Are you sure you should be doing this job if you have to ask on the internet about load ratings??? Not trying to start an argument just worried about the safety of others.. Maybe you should pass on this job.
                              hh 187.:
                              powcon 300 st
                              cheap chinese plasma cutter
                              miller diversion :

Comment

Yeah, are you sure?
                                Caution!

Comment

Working...
                                X