Load ratings for H beams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Load ratings for H beams

Anybody have the tables, for a center concentrated load, for H-beams??? Interested in W8 x 18, also W6 x 15 and W6 X 16. 8' span, supported both ends.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Don't have those beams, I'll bet you'll be contacting an engineer.
    Attached Files
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

What's a Kips????
      Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

You're kidding,_____________right?

For center loads divide those numbers in half.
        Caution!

Comment

Serious. What's a Kips????

Comment

1,000 pounds.
            Caution!

Comment

Yeah, figured that out by now. So an 8 x 5 1/4 x 17 beam, according to your table, is good for 24,000 pounds distributed load, 12,000 pounds center load. Correct???

Comment

Across an 8' span.

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                  Yeah, figured that out by now. So an 8 x 5 1/4 x 17 beam, according to your table, is good for 24,000 pounds distributed load, 12,000 pounds center load. Correct???
                  Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                  Across an 8' span.
                  Bingo!
                  Caution!

Comment

W beam

Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	508807See if this helps. It's from AISC's Manual of Steel Construction, Allowable Stress Design. The book is from 1989 so use the information at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by NMWelds View Post
                      [ATTACH]24641[/ATTACH]See if this helps. It's from AISC's Manual of Steel Construction, Allowable Stress Design. The book is from 1989 so use the information at your own risk.
                      NMWelds welcome to the site!

Do you divide those numbers in half for center point loaded beams? And do you know the safety factor of that book?
                      Caution!

Comment

Sonora, thanks for the welcome! I was actually inactive long enough for my pw to expire, so I guess I'm born again
                        You would have to divide by 2 for your allowable concentrated load at center.
                        Total equivalent uniform load = 2*concentrated load at center.
                        I don't know the safety factor for this book, been too many years since I had to worry about this stuff.
                        Sorry for my first post back to be only a partial answer.
                        Last edited by NMWelds; 09-16-2010, 03:14 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

NMWelds, thanks for chiming in, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks also, for including your source,,,, turns out, that is kinda an expensive book, but possibly well worth it in the future.

Comment

I have a copy of “Manual of Steel Construction” somewhere but can't find it!

I was comparing the chart you posted to my Ryerson book, there is a slight difference in the numbers, must be the safety factor.
                            Caution!

Comment

JS,
                              No problem sharing what I got.
                              Don't go trying to design anything too complex from MY info. There are a LOT of factors that go into designing a beam "properly". Is it laterally supported? Are the loads static? Is wind a factor? Safety factor? etc. etc.
                              Now get back to work.

Comment

Working...
                              X