X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ohsobad_chevy
    started a topic Deer stands

Deer stands

I am wanting to make some ladder stands. I have a lot of 1/8" x 1" square mild tubing, but I would like them to be lighter if at all possible. I am wanting to make them 15 feet from platform to the ground. What would be the best material for this project?

If anyone has any other info on building stands, such as plans, etc. I would really appreciate it. I am looking for any advice I can get.

TIA

• tackit
    replied
    15 feet down is long way to fall, especially if you fall on your neck....being you're new to welding I suggest you do a search for coupons and get the best deal you can on a stand from a store... overheating the small tubing could be a disaster waiting to happen. Check the steel good for imperfections if you do go ahead, steel from salvaged yards can be from bad runs with cobbled ends. I got it cheap that way myself, but it was good enough for the non structural projects I was working on.

Leave a comment:

• Hunter0329
    replied
    Deer stands

That's a nice stand, I've been wanting to make one for awhile now

Leave a comment:

• ohsobad_chevy
    replied
    Finally got some pics of the stand. Made a nice foot rest and large platform. Used 1" raised expanded metal on the seat and platform. This stand is very comfortable.

I ended up using 2 pieces of 1" angle to make the joint for the 2 ladders. I welded both sides to the square tubing and then joined them with a large puddle. Doesn't really look that great, but it's very sturdy.

Last edited by ohsobad_chevy; 10-24-2010, 08:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ohsobad_chevy
    replied
    Thanks. I was super excited to kill my first deer with a bow out of this stand. Been helping my folks with a project and haven't hunted since last Saturday. I will get some good pics when I go back out, hopefully tomorrow evening.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Congratulations !!!!

Looks like some tender meat there. Still waiting for a picture of the stand : )

Leave a comment:

• ohsobad_chevy
    replied
    I didn't get any pics of my progress or the completed stand. I know.

I was in such a hurry, as soon as I got it built and the paint dried, it went to the woods. I will get some pics of it next time I am out hunting.

On a brighter note, I killed my first deer with a bow out of it this weekend. Little 3pt. weighed 80 lbs. He will eat good. Buddy shot a 7pt next day that weighed 105lbs.

Thanks for the pointers, fellas.

My deer

Buddies deer

Leave a comment:

• ohsobad_chevy
    replied
    Haven't had any more time in the shop. Been really busy lately.

Leave a comment:

• ohsobad_chevy
    replied
    Originally posted by 6010 View Post
    Deer season came in two days ago in our region of SC. I haven't seen anybody hunting yet. Maybe it is because it had been in the 90's both days. I think everybody is scared they might have to drag one out of the woods in the heat
    lol......I don't blame em. I wouldn't wanna kill one when it's 90, either.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Deer season came in two days ago in our region of SC. I haven't seen anybody hunting yet. Maybe it is because it had been in the 90's both days. I think everybody is scared they might have to drag one out of the woods in the heat

Leave a comment:

• ohsobad_chevy
    replied
    I hope to get started on the stand this weekend. I will post some pictures of what I come up with. Should be interesting.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyguynick
    replied
    I made one out of an old TV antenna tower, and welded up a platform on top. It's already made in sections, i think i used one full one, and a half section. Get to the tree, bolt it together, and ratchet strapped it around the tree. It's worked great for me

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy View Post
    Sweet, I will check them out. Thanks.

Yeah, I was wondering what would be the best thing to make the sleeve out of. Since it would have to fit tight, I can't go up with 1-1/2" square. Would some angle welded on to the tubing work?
    That should work

Leave a comment:

• ohsobad_chevy
    replied
    Originally posted by Blondie_486 View Post
    Home Cheapo and sLowe's both sell inexpensive conduit benders. They're manual benders and use a pipe for the handle so you can make it as long as you need. I have several sizes and they work very well. EMT conduit is relatively thin wall and easy to bend. You might have to go one size bigger as if you were using rigid conduit to bend your 14 ga. but it'll get the job done for as much as you have to bend. I think the benders are under 20 bucks.
    Sweet, I will check them out. Thanks.

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    For the Stand to be able to break down in sections you'll need some way to keep the sections together- where the sections meet, a Sleeve over the joint and pins through the 2 pieces will hold it together.
    Yeah, I was wondering what would be the best thing to make the sleeve out of. Since it would have to fit tight, I can't go up with 1-1/2" square. Would some angle welded on to the tubing work?

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    For the Stand to be able to break down in sections you'll need some way to keep the sections together- where the sections meet, a Sleeve over the joint and pins through the 2 pieces will hold it together.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X