xmt304 with wirefeeder or keep my mm251

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xmt304 with wirefeeder or keep my mm251

I may have a chance to get a xmt304 for CHEAP, I was thinking about getting a suitcase wire feeder to go with it. Would this be a better setup than the mm 251? I was looking at the xmt and it should have the pulser, and I would have the higher steel tig capacity than I have with my dynasty 200dx
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625
    MM 251
    BWE

oh yeah I was thinking about the 12rc wire feeder since it is still portable and holds the large spools of wire. I normally use .035 wire
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625
    MM 251
    BWE

Comment

Originally posted by jake View Post
      I may have a chance to get a xmt304 for CHEAP, I was thinking about getting a suitcase wire feeder to go with it. Would this be a better setup than the mm 251? I was looking at the xmt and it should have the pulser, and I would have the higher steel tig capacity than I have with my dynasty 200dx
      What is considered cheap?

The XMT does indeed have a lot more flexibility than an MM 250 style machine. In order to pulse with it, you will need an Optima 304 pulsing unit tho.

The XMT also stick welds quite nicely as well. DC TIG on Lift Arc setting is good too.

I would go for the XMT. I have had one for years & have never actually owned a larger all in one wire machine. If you don't end up getting a feeder right away, I do have several Miller 60 Series 2 & 4 drive roll units available fully reconditioned with a 90 day warranty.

Good luck on it.
      So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

It is supposed to be like $400

they have two of the millers and like 6 similar lincoln machines

I will keep you in mind in the wire feeder, I am wanting to get a portable wire feeder but I may run what I can get for now. I would like to have this setup completely before selling the 251 just to make sure everything is good to go.
        DYNASTY 200DX
        SPECTRUM 625
        MM 251
        BWE

Comment

For $400, I would be buying every single one they had. Keep one, sell the other for about a grand+ & get yours for free.

Better go & grab them. Someone else most certainly will at that price if you don't.

As long as they work of course. If they're junk, prolly not worth the headaches, even as cheap as they are.

Let me know how you come out.
          So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

Oh, and do some side by side testing of the power supplies. If the Lincoln unit is an 'advanced process' one, it should have pulse over pulse MIG built in (I think). Takes your nice and smooth MIG weld and adds evenly spaced stack of triangles shaped ripples
            Con Fuse!
            Miller Dynasty 350
            Millermatic 350P
            -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
            Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
            Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

Let me know, who has the units, I'll buy them all.

Comment

Jake,

At those prices, I'd make dang sure you're getting the XMT304 CC/CV.

I guess I still come from the school of thought that says, "If the deal looks too good to be true, it probably is".
                Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200 DX
                Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                Hobart HH187
                Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                  Jake,

At those prices, I'd make dang sure you're getting the XMT304 CC/CV.

I guess I still come from the school of thought that says, "If the deal looks too good to be true, it probably is".
                  Yeah. I've seen a few deals where the guy thought he was getting a 304 when in fact, it was an XMT 300. That, or it turned out to be an XMT 304 CC only machine, or a 460 volt only unit. The early XMT 304's were offered as both CC & CC/CV. Now, they are all CC/CV.

Night and day difference there. In many cases that's what happens. A dude "scores" a great deal on one only to find out it's a CC only machine or high voltage only unit. I bailed a friend out of a deal where he got a CC only unit & didn't realize it until he was about to close the deal. Worked out good for me tho.

He bought a Maxtron 450 from me

Even for $400, unless an XMT 300 was like new, and had accessories included, I would let it pass. They were good machine for their time, but if they happen to have issues, you'll be singing the blues when you get a load of what it costs to fix one.

Some repair shops (including my limited capacity operation) won't even touch them. Someone in the hunt for an older inverter would be best looking at a Maxtron 450 since there were so many of them made for the industrial robotic welding market & often times, used parts can be had for cheap if you know where to look.

No doubt on checking it all out & being sure of what you're getting.
                  Last edited by 7A749; 09-02-2010, 01:37 PM.

Comment

The bidding may go up to high on them and push them out of what I will pay, but it was some tools at work a contractor left behind that had to be de contaminated so they just left them. (real common in nuke industry) it is a 304 cc/cv, non of the lincoln welders had the pulser these machines were 2005's and have been sitting in storage since 2006 I do need to double check that it is not the 480only machine, I thought I remember they both say autoline on them. I would try to get both but the extra cash is not there right now. i am going to try though...the machines were mostly used for tig but some steel stick also.

I would like to get a pulser for it I have seen some welding on offroad stuff that I thought was done with a pulser, I have not been able to replicate the clean looking welds like that I can make a nice stringer bead but nothing like that with a real nice even spaced ripple.
                    DYNASTY 200DX
                    SPECTRUM 625
                    MM 251
                    BWE

Comment

Originally posted by jake View Post
                      ... it was some tools at work a contractor left behind that had to be de contaminated so they just left them. (real common in nuke industry)...
                      Uhm, hope you know what your getting into. I'd imagine the same rules that made it economically unfeasible to decontaminate them 3-4 years ago would still be in effect today.

Good luck.
                      Con Fuse!
                      Miller Dynasty 350
                      Millermatic 350P
                      -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
                      Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
                      Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

Well, if they have been bombarded with nuclear radiation, at least you would be able to find them in the dark.

Sorry, if you were to buy a feeder from me, it won't glow in the dark.

Comment

I've heard of some HOT welding machines being sold, but this takes things to a whole new level.

Jake,

Hate to be the one who breaks it to you, but it's the welder, not the machine that produces the bead you're looking for.

If you do end up with the XMT304 and are looking for an Optima Pulse Control for the 304, let me know. Got an extra one I bought for a buddy and he ended up getting rid of his XMT. Also got a clean 22A feeder if you're interested.
                          Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200 DX
                          Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                          Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                          Hobart HH187
                          Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                          Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                          Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                          PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                          Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                          Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                          More grinders than hands

Comment

the stuff is clean it would not be released if it was not. anything that goes in the reactor building is assumed contaminated until proven not just like this stuff. These may have been used in the outside staging area on clean equipment which was also considered an radiological controlled zone which also gets the same rules of assumed until proven not.
                            DYNASTY 200DX
                            SPECTRUM 625
                            MM 251
                            BWE

Comment

Working...
                            X