No announcement yet.

fairbanks magneto problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

okay i was reading some info from the links(thanks Duane) and it has led me to believe i may have a broken exciter coil. or there is something wrong with the stator coils.

does this seem likely and can someone give me a ballpark on the cost of replacing either of those parts?

thanks Luc
    Lincoln tombstone AC/DC
    Hitachi Chop saw
    Victor HEAVY Duty Torch set (propane)
    ATLAS Model 618 Steel lathe Traded for a RED face SA 200
    Hitachi Grinders
    Lot of hand tool and hammers
    150LB Anvil+ a forge
    Lincoln SA 200x4
    MillerMatic 212 auto set

Comment

Just joking about talking to yourself Luc and assumed you were asking a question although a little punctuation would help.

The problem certainly could be an open shunt circuit (broken wire or failed shunt coil) or a failed stator coil but before you go digging in that deep, have you checked the coarse current control selector and fine current control rheostat?

The coarse current selector is obvious - clean the contacts and wiper of any/all corrosion.

Using fine sandpaper (320grit) clean the fine current contol rheostat windings and check for continuity between the wiper (center - blue wire) contact and winding (outer - red wire) contact. Maximum resistance between the wiper and winding contacts should be 64ohms.

They may be a little hard to read but the attached SA200 generator wiring diagrams should be of some use to you.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	shorty-auxillary.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	508693
      Click image for larger version

Name:	sa200-complete1-758x912.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	508695

Main (stator) shunt resistance (blue/brown wires) = 46ohms (cold)
      Exciter shunt resistance +/- 10% (black wires) = 167ohms (copper) 130ohms (aluminum)

There's better and more complete information on that free CD from Weldmart but the illustrations from it are copyrighted so I won't post them.
      MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
      Syncrowave 180 SD
      Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
      *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
      *HF-251D-1
      *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
      PakMaster 100XL
      Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
      http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

well ive been playing around some more, but i still cant find out whats wrong i have an electrician buddy coming to look at it for me.

a few more questions i hav are: does this machine need a 12 volt or 6 volt battery, because ive been using a 12volt and it seems to roll over very quickly.

also if i have a faulty alternator on this machine would cause any problems with the generator.

i took the cap of the voltage regulator and it seemed to be in good condition aswell.

but the tests im going to do today are testing all the wiring going to and comming from the stator as well as the fine current and selector switch.

~Luc
        Lincoln tombstone AC/DC
        Hitachi Chop saw
        Victor HEAVY Duty Torch set (propane)
        ATLAS Model 618 Steel lathe Traded for a RED face SA 200
        Hitachi Grinders
        Lot of hand tool and hammers
        150LB Anvil+ a forge
        Lincoln SA 200x4
        MillerMatic 212 auto set

Comment

Working...