Trailblazer 302 pulling down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailblazer 302 pulling down

I was welding with 3/16" 7018 rod with about 230 amps and after about an hour of welding, the machine would bog down and almost die. I stopped welding for a little bit, went back to welding and all was fine for about ten minutes and it started to do it again. Any ideas or suggestions as to why the machine is pulling down to the point it almost dies? The machine is 4 months old and has about 65 hours on it. I just serviced it last week, oil change, fuel, and air filter.
    Synchrowave 180 Tigrunner
    Millermatic 251
    Trailblazer 302
    Spectrum 375

First off use Quaker 5-50 synthetic year round, engine might be getting a little on the hot side with any other kind of oil. I don't care if your in a hot climate or cold one. This is the oil to use.

Second you may be starving for fuel if your fuel cap's breather is blocked so back your cap off a little.

Comment

I tried loosening the fuel cap when it was acting up and it didn't help. I was thinking it was getting too hot since it was almost 100 degrees today and I was doing a lot of welding. I will be picking up some Quaker 5-50 this week and changing the oil again if it will help.
      Millermatic 251
      Trailblazer 302
      Spectrum 375

Comment

You also want to check the rpm tested at the AC terminals via Frequency (HZ).

Must be 62 to 62.5 hz high idle no load.

Comment

Could you explain the test procedure a little more so I do it right? I would take it in and have Arcet check it out but with work, I don't have time to take it in.
          Millermatic 251
          Trailblazer 302
          Spectrum 375

Comment

You'll need a digital meter that has a frequency mode (HZ), put your machine in high idle. Can be done with a cold or warm engine,

Stick the leads into the slotted terminals of a 120Vac receptacle, you'll have to wiggle them around and read the frequency. It'll probably be around the 58-60 hz. On a properly running engine, the HZ must read 62 to 62.5 hz. The idea is that once a machine is loaded say with a grinder or what ever, the freq will drop to 60 hz. Plus there is adequate voltage supply from the rotor to the control board, and adequate amperage from the weld coils out to the arc.

All brands of machines are adjusted in the same way, except for the pure DC machines like the SA200 and such.

Comment

On an Onan the adjuster is on the right side of the air cleaner, loosen the center 10mm nut, and adjust the high idle screw with a 8mm box end. On the newer carb units you'll have to close the choke about an 1/8" to stop the engine rpm from bouncing around

On a Kohler its on the right side as well, and loosen the 2 10mm nuts

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                First off use Quaker 5-50 synthetic year round, engine might be getting a little on the hot side with any other kind of oil. I don't care if your in a hot climate or cold one. This is the oil to use.

Second you may be starving for fuel if your fuel cap's breather is blocked so back your cap off a little.
                Does doing this void your warranty? Its nowhere close to what the mfg recommends.

Comment

No, the warranty is still valid. In fact, if you keep on using the oil that is recommended, the likelyhood of your engine failing is dramaticly increased.

The welders that i've been servicing with the 5-50 over the last 10 years are pushing 8000-10000 hours and still running fine. The factory says that engine needs a rebuild in 3500 hrs. you do the math.

Comment

Thanks for the info, just wanted to make sure I didn't fry my Fluke meter.
                    Millermatic 251
                    Trailblazer 302
                    Spectrum 375

Comment

buddies tb275 was cutting out today on the dredge....... fuel filter....... dont matter if you have just 1 or 1 million hours, trash in the fuel will cause you a heartache
                      welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
                      www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

I am positive it's not the fuel filter, I ended up switching to 1/8" rod and welding another hour to finish the project and it ran fine. I also ran it some today without a problem so I'm pretty sure it was just overheating.
                        Millermatic 251
                        Trailblazer 302
                        Spectrum 375

Comment

cruizer,
                          What should the HZ be at idle?

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                            No, the warranty is still valid. In fact, if you keep on using the oil that is recommended, the likelyhood of your engine failing is dramaticly increased.

The welders that i've been servicing with the 5-50 over the last 10 years are pushing 8000-10000 hours and still running fine. The factory says that engine needs a rebuild in 3500 hrs. you do the math.
                            Just to be sure we're on the same page...which TB302 engine are we discussing?

Comment

A couple of hints from what I've seen:

1. Make sure you do not have too much oil in it. Too much oil will cause a problem blocking the fuel pump breather in the crankcase and it will act exactly as yours is.
                              2. I would use the oil that the mfg. recommends. That's what we test and the mfg's spend a lot of testing time to determine that. The only difference that I do in the colder climate is run synthetic once the engine is broken in.
                              3. The Trailblazer has an RPM guage built into it. The directions for reading RPM's are on the decal under the top door. Its real easy to do and you don't need a meter.

Good luck, but please check oil level.
                              Have a great day!

John Leisner
                              Product Manager
                              Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Owner and user of:
                              Trailblazer 302 and Legend 301
                              Smith Dual Guard oxy-fuel system
                              Various borrowed Millermatics and Spectrums.

Comment

Working...
                              X