X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jwsrep
    replied
    Originally posted by davinci2010 View Post
    There is a company, Can't remember the name, that makes a cooler vest. I've talked to roofers that use them and they seem to like them. You put the vest in a freezer for a few hours and it stays cold for a couple of hours. Most of the guys I talked to kept a few of them frozen in an ice chest and rotated as the cold wore off. I believe the vest is packed with a gel, like what is in the ice packs you put in a lunchbox.
    We sell a product from Climatech that is a cooling vest that uses an airline tethered to a regulating valve that you wear under your welding jacket. Works mint if you are at a weld table or don't have to move around much. The company also makes a cooling vest that you "refresh" in a freezer. That one will get you thru about 4 hours without having to refresh it.

Leave a comment:

• jwsrep
    replied
    Originally posted by stugots View Post
    anyone remember salt tablets, that's what they used to hand out,,, you had water and salt.
    Boy I sure do stugots. Back 30 years ago (there I go giving my age away) I used to weld for a big company up in northern NY. The welding dept I worked in was also the heat treat dept. Talk about some hot, hot times. It was manditory to take salt tablets and drink plenty of water there. I can remember after laying down a weld I would have a pool of sweat in the bottom of my hood. Man I sure don't miss those 12 hour days.

Leave a comment:

• davinci2010
    replied
    There is a company, Can't remember the name, that makes a cooler vest. I've talked to roofers that use them and they seem to like them. You put the vest in a freezer for a few hours and it stays cold for a couple of hours. Most of the guys I talked to kept a few of them frozen in an ice chest and rotated as the cold wore off. I believe the vest is packed with a gel, like what is in the ice packs you put in a lunchbox.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    anyone remember salt tablets, that's what they used to hand out,,, you had water and salt.
    I do. I have a cast alum dispenser for salt tablets. I found on a beam prob left over from WWII in the big factory i worked in. I sand blasted the lead paint from it and brought it home...Bob

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    Yes I remember them well!

Can't remember all the details, but seems as Cal-OSHA passed a rule / law in the 1970s where employers were not allowed to supply them. Geez just can't remember why! People getting sick?

Leave a comment:

• stugots
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LWSGUY
    replied
    Pedilite (SP) taste like crap, In Iraq I preferred Gatorade or even Kool Aide, plain water works but gets old when your drinking 5-6 1.5 litre bottles a day.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    There was a story about some miners in Italy during WWII:
    Whatever they were digging was real important to the war effort,
    but the underground mine was so hot, the miners ended up working naked.
    I don't know if it helped keep them cool or not.........
    Maybe they just liked digging tunnels without any clothes on--- I never heard.

But that might work for you guys up there in Arkansas--
    and what the heck, it don't cost much to try it.

(If this fella comes looking for me-
    I want yawl to tell him I just went into the Witness Protection Program a couple days ago)
    Sunburn/arcburn in bad bad places.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    I always keep a cold wet rag wrapped around my neck and tucked in my welding coat. Then i just redip it in water as needed...Bob

Leave a comment:

• dondlhmn
    replied
    Wear what you want or NOT!

Originally posted by Winger Ed. View Post

I want yawl to tell him I just went into the Witness Protection Program a couple days ago)
    Gee, that sounds like a great idea except for the thought of what might get burned......OUCH, OW!, OOWWWW, OUCH!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• stugots
    replied
    never heard of using unscented pads before,,, out here in the east coast, we only use the scented because we like having that spring fresh feeling while under the hood.

Leave a comment:

• Winger Ed.
    replied
    Originally posted by welder_one View Post
    107 degrees today... heat index of 115.... deck of the dredge im working on this week at high noon was 169.... i dislike the summers in arkansas...

Last edited by Winger Ed.; 08-03-2010, 11:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dondlhmn
    replied
    Wear/carry/use what you want

My version of the guys giving me crap over whatever is to give it right back. I usually say "If you were man enough to stand on your own two feet and do what you want and not worry about what kind of crap the rest of them give you, you could do what you want." The thing is, if whatever you do seems to be better or working well, the rest of them will be doing the same thing pretty soon. And that means ESPECIALLY the guys that gave you the most grief about whatever it is/was. ****, I'd wear women's panties instead of gloves if that seemed to work better for some reason!

Leave a comment:

• davinci2010
    replied
    I figure I'll still be welding by the time I'm in diapers for the second time around, so I'll try anything that helps in this heat.

Leave a comment:

• sturugged
    replied
    are those maxis with wings or without?

Originally posted by spotsineyes View Post
    You guys ever use unscented maxi-pads for sweat bands? Isn't this the website that I learned about that?
    Sorry, couldnt resist . Maybe you could post some pictures wearing them correctly!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X