Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cupped 3/8" plate for my welding table... best approach from here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cupped 3/8" plate for my welding table... best approach from here?

Hi all,
    I searched the forums and most of what I found doesn't exactly cover my situation...
    I made a welding table base... added casters... I bought 2 pieces of 3/8" plate... (thinking I could move them by myself.) The table is 36" x 60" so I had them cut the plates at 31"x36", so I can have a space in the center of the table for additional clamping. Split plates so to speak.
    The problem is that each plate is pretty cupped. Probably an 1/8th" out from edge to center over the 36" span.
    Here's the question...
    Do you all think I can clamp this plate relatively flat and weld it to the table base?
    I only have conventional weaponry at my disposal. I was thinking start cup up and try to pull the edges down to the center level.
    Question number two... If I can't get the cup out of it, I have a good relationship with my steel source... might they be able to flatten it out relatively easily with some monster hydraulic press thingy machine?
    Here is a picture of the table....so far.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fab-slab/4835372239/
    Last edited by 1Killerbee; 07-27-2010, 04:32 PM.
    Millermatic 211 MIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma Cutter
    Milwaukee 6190-20 Dry Cut Saw
    Jet HVBS-56M Band Saw
    Jet 708595 Bench Top Belt/Disc Sander

www.slab-fab-studio.com (Fab Steel and Concrete Furniture Site)
    www.billysproul.com (Found Object/Sculpture Site)

For something this thin I'd place cup up and clamp it down, or you can heat shrink it with O/A.
    Attached Files
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

i would just get my wife to sit on it
      Anything you could do, I could do better.
      I can do anything better than you!
      Lockheed Martin
      Armco Steel, Baltimore
      USW local #3185

Comment

Clamp it down and see what happens, like the man said it isn't very thick or much of a bend.

Comment

Faster and cheaper to just heat shrink it with welds, same pattern Sonora showed. Leave at least 2-3" between welds, once cool, if necessary repeat, but split the difference. Afterwards, you can either leave the welds, just put that side down, or if you enjoy punishment, grind them off.
          Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

If it's just a 3/8 plate,,,,,, and only out by 1/8 inch,,,,, my 24 pound sledge would work also.
            Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
              If it's just a 3/8 plate,,,,,, and only out by 1/8 inch,,,,, my 24 pound sledge would work also.
              dang, ya beat me to it..... whoop the fool outta that table with a real hammer and go on about yer business
              welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
              www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

Lay it on the driveway with the cupped side up and a couple of 2x4's under the edges. Then drive over the center of the plate. Not an exact science, but it's worked for me a few times.
                Sometimes there's no second chances.

Comment

Over shot the runway... by about 100%

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                  For something this thin I'd place cup up and clamp it down, or you can heat shrink it with O/A.
                  Well, I tried the weld bead method as per your drawing.
                  It worked well... I went over board by a great deal. Now I have the plate cupping the other direction!
                  Experience is the best teacher... If you want to make an omelet you have to break eggs etc. I'll be putting Humpty Dumpty back together again for a spell.
                  The good news is I may have it better figured out when I do the other half of the table....
                  Thank you for the input!
                  B
                  Millermatic 211 MIG
                  Jet HVBS-56M Band Saw

Comment

Originally posted by 1Killerbee View Post
                    Experience is the best teacher...
                    True, oh so true!

Well hind sight is 20/20, I should have told you to start out slow / small, but majority of the members of these boards don't believe this even works. So I just gave you a nickel worth of information, sorry bout that!
                    Caution!

Comment

Some of you guys would freak out if you seen what we straighten at work with a rosebud. Some of you guys would know what I'm talking about others would be looking up at the sky trying to figure what just went way over your head. Heat will straighten your plate but it takes lots of trial and error to learn this black art.
                      Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
                      Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
                      Rockwell vertical mill
                      Beverly Shear B-3
                      Beverly Shear JR
                      Home-made English wheel
                      Milwaukee Porta-band
                      " Sawz-all
                      Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
                      Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
                      Powcon 300st

Comment

Originally posted by Showdog75 View Post
                        black art.
                        I like that! Thanks.

Something that thin and that small I might even had gone with a group of small circles with a welding tip. Hard to say with out seeing, and touching it. Yes touching it, I can't really see something unless I can rub my hands on it.
                        Caution!

Comment

Table turned out pretty flat....

I got the table to a point were I'm a little less than 1/16" over the 5 foot (long) dimension. I can live with that.
                          I had to wrestle with the tops... They are in two halves. The first as I said, I over cooked the de-warpage and turned into re-warpage...
                          I got better with the second plate.
                          I ran beads on the underside of both, but had to go back on the first plate and run beads on the top too ( to fix my fix.) See grinding in picture.
                          Everything was pretty flat ( the outer edges all around were cupping up still) until I welded the plate to the table base. That miraculously pulled everything into place.
                          Just dumb good luck on my part.

I have a picture of the finished item here...
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/fab-slab/4842340386/

Also posted in the Projects forum.

Thanks for all the help!

If you guys know how to turn lead into gold... I am all ears!
                          Millermatic 211 MIG
                          Jet HVBS-56M Band Saw

Comment

OK, now you can move into straighten beams, pipe, C-channel, angle iron, and square tube! Believe it or not plate is the hardest.
                            Caution!

Comment

Your table looks like it turned out beautifully...and what you call dumb good luck is now called experience lol.......Jim
                              Welding in Crete
                              Syncrowave 350 LX
                              Millermatic 252
                              Millermatic 180 w Spoolgun
                              Miller Gold Seal 155
                              Miller Elite welding helmet
                              JD2 Tubing bender with Hydraulic conversion
                              Evolution Raptor15" SteelDry Cut Saw
                              Hypertherm Powermax 30
                              Some really cool hammers BIG and small

Comment

Working...