Millermatic 35 fan replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 35 fan replacement

The fan in my trusty Millermatic 35 today spins at about 20 rpm, so I figure the bearings are shot (Hooking it up directly to 110v, it does the same thing).

I can't be sure that the fan is the original one, and the LWS is no help. It has no labels or markings of any kind.

Does anyone know what the correct fraction of HP the motor is supposed to be? Good source for replacement? Or should I just take any similar motor out of an old frig or something....

Thank you!

Vid

They are specially made for Miller. I replaced a few of them quite a few years and just bought one from Miller. You prob can rig up a large muffin fan but i thought the old Miller ones were 220v...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

Its a standard 1500 rpm 1/50hp 230Vac motor commonly found at a heating ventalation parts store. Nothing special about it. Kind of a nightmare to get it out though especially if the fan allen screws are corroded in place. This unit is not repairable as it does not use actual bearings.

Sometimes however, if you take a punch and twack the bearing knub at the back of the fan, pushing it in a little will set the armature a little further ahead and it'll work for another year or so,

Comment

Ah, I did not know it was 230v, that rules out a refrigerator fan. But I do, in fact have a 230v 10" muffin fan, new in box, that I never could figure a use for. Great Idea Bob.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Hey, take that thing apart and oil it. The bushings are dry. If it won't come apart put a couple drops on the output shaft so it will soak into the bearing. Drill a hole in the back and put some oil in.
          David

Comment

Originally posted by stronics View Post
            Hey, take that thing apart and oil it. The bushings are dry. If it won't come apart put a couple drops on the output shaft so it will soak into the bearing. Drill a hole in the back and put some oil in.
            David
            It had 2 oil holes, that said oil every 6 months, but you can imagine the last time it got oiled.....

Once I took it out, it was free spinning, but one of the coils must be bad, because when I gave it 220v, it still spun super slow.

Comment

I took out the old fan and drilled new holes in the existing bracket to match a 10" 230v Muffin fan I've had sitting around for ages.

I cleaned off the heatsink where the diodes live, so it gets better heat transfer.

I outfitted the existing fan wires with push terminals that fit the Muffin fan, and covered them with shrink tubing.
              Attached Files

Comment

The Muffin fan is deeper than the old fan, so I removed the expanded metal grating that used to be on the back of the machine. It was spot welded on, and broke away easily with a small pry bar.

I was going to fabricate a grill guard, but the more I thought about it, there is never anyone else in the shop when I'm welding; so who would ever put their fingers in the fan? It is pretty well protected from damage because the C02 tank normally sits a few inches in front of it.

The new fan is much quieter, blows way more air, and draws slightly less amperage. It has a metal housing and metal blades. We will see if it lasts 20 years like the old one...
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by vid1900 View Post
                  The Muffin fan is deeper than the old fan, so I removed the expanded metal grating that used to be on the back of the machine. It was spot welded on, and broke away easily with a small pry bar.

I was going to fabricate a grill guard, but the more I thought about it, there is never anyone else in the shop when I'm welding; so who would ever put their fingers in the fan? It is pretty well protected from damage because the C02 tank normally sits a few inches in front of it.

The new fan is much quieter, blows way more air, and draws slightly less amperage. It has a metal housing and metal blades. We will see if it lasts 20 years like the old one...
                  Vid, Good for you, You're like me , I Never throw anything away ( Pac Rat, lol )
                  you never know down the road when you might need something !!!!

......... Norm
                  www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Cool deal. Maybe i should have oiled mine when i had the cover off the other day and blew it out. Oh well its only like 5 screws...Bob
                    Bob Wright

Comment

That's thinking outside the 'box fan' vid. Good job!
                      MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
                      Syncrowave 180 SD
                      Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
                      *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
                      *HF-251D-1
                      *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                      PakMaster 100XL
                      Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
                      http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                        Cool deal. Maybe i should have oiled mine when i had the cover off the other day and blew it out. Oh well its only like 5 screws...Bob
                        It said it wanted 20 weight oil, if you can't read your motor.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                          Perhaps it's time for me to take my covers off again and oil my fan too. I never knew it required oiling on a regular basis. I got the thing used with no manual and no $$ outlay either. The old man who owns the shop I've been foreman at for the past 7 years acquired it in a deal to get a Lincoln SP155, he got both welders from a Maaco body shop that went belly up for 50 bucks. I asked how much he wanted for the Miller and he said take it, it doesn't work. A 15.00 outlay for a new liner and the machine works like new, the nice part is it even has a spot panel in it. I've been using the crap out of it for the past 3 years and love it for light work. My big problem now is finding the time to shut it down long enough to do maintainence on it.
                          Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
                          Miller 340A/BP
                          Victor O/A torches
                          Lincoln SP125
                          Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
                          78 GS1000
                          82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

Originally posted by vid1900 View Post
                            It said it wanted 20 weight oil, if you can't read your motor.
                            Did it specify non detergent by any chance or merely 20 wight? I used to have this stuff called turbo oil and came in a handy squeeze bottle with a long flexible spout that pulled out of the bottle but lost it. Maybe I can find one again somewhere.
                            Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
                            Miller 340A/BP
                            Victor O/A torches
                            Lincoln SP125
                            Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
                            78 GS1000
                            82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

I'll dig it out of the recycle bin and look if it says what kind of oil later today.

Comment

Working...
                              X