This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a girl-
    Thanks! I've definitely seen the Angelfire gear! Love it! A couple years ago, I took my black Miller jacket and had it tailored to fit me. I'm the only one that can fit it. It was amusing to watch all the guys in my welding class try and squeeze into it!

Comment

Originally posted by jina09 View Post
      Just a girl-
      Thanks! I've definitely seen the Angelfire gear! Love it! A couple years ago, I took my black Miller jacket and had it tailored to fit me. I'm the only one that can fit it. It was amusing to watch all the guys in my welding class try and squeeze into it!
      I glad you have seen it. That tells me word is getting out. I helped design the
      original & that is why the logo is on the arm (not the chest). With the Hybrid coat it is on the chest & I am working with them now to get it moved.

Comment

Women in this biz seem to be either really really good or about useless, not a lot of middle of the road. Great opportunities for women in the construction industry.

Comment

I've been in the the mechanical end of industrial jobs for almost 20 years. When and where I started there were no women and few minorities. I actually heard a few people voice opinions that people of a certain race were not good mechanics. After 20 years of doing this, I'm here to tell you; It's not your skin color or gender that makes you good. If you have a desire to learn, constantly update your skills, and be the best at your job, then you will suceed. I would rather work with people of any race or gender that desire to be the best at what they do, than a limited group with some members that just coast through life. I truly believe that the jobs should go to the people with the skills and drive to do the job.
          Sometimes there's no second chances.

Comment

Women Weldors

Originally posted by davinci2010 View Post
            I've been in the the mechanical end of industrial jobs for almost 20 years. When and where I started there were no women and few minorities. I actually heard a few people voice opinions that people of a certain race were not good mechanics. After 20 years of doing this, I'm here to tell you; It's not your skin color or gender that makes you good. If you have a desire to learn, constantly update your skills, and be the best at your job, then you will suceed. I would rather work with people of any race or gender that desire to be the best at what they do, than a limited group with some members that just coast through life. I truly believe that the jobs should go to the people with the skills and drive to do the job.
            A Women won the welding skills contest down there in the States this year !!!

......... Norm
            www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

women

one of the manufacturers will step in and develop a line; they will benefit from being the first to recogonize a new market.

smith and wesson has done well with the 'lady smith' line.

Comment

If you're welding, why is your gender important? Just weld and go on .....
                Nick
                Miller 252 Mig
                Miller Cricket XL
                Millermatic 150 Mig
                Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
                2-O/A outfits
                Jet Lathe and Mill
                Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
                DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
                Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
                20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
                Propane Forge
                60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
                Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
                and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

JMHO, but just maybe it's the "sir" part. I don't think someone walking up to a man under the hood and addressing him as "Madame" would be appreciated either. I believe I got that part.

1% or 10%? Sales are sales - correct?

The market "ain't" what it used to be.

Comment

Prolly best getting it airbrushed.

I think some female inclined graphics would actually be cool.

I love Tinkerbell. Yeah, I said it & I don't give a tin weasel what anyone thinks about it. Prolly be infringement on Disney's rights to it tho & the royalties would be darn expensive.

Perhaps some art Noveau style graphics or something like you see on those screenprinted little tops those nice looking ladies wear during the summer.

Someone would buy it.

Put 'ol Rob Pattison on them & the teenagers would clear the shelves of them in a day.
                    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

You can buy a shell and send it off to be hydrographicly dipped.

I had one dipped and it's holding up well. And the designs blow away the cheap stickers that come on stock helmets. I was less than pleased with how the flamed Digital elite held up.

Try this one maybe?
                      http://www.hydro-dip.com/images/all_pa20.jpg

This one is surely uni*** and great looking carbon design.Actual helmet pic here:
                      http://www.hydrodipping.com/Carbon%2.../index.html#38

Check it out, I had mine dipped for 55$
                      http://www.hydro-dip.com/index.htm
                      Last edited by jsm11; 06-24-2010, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I had my first set of flames on a lead sled 49 Merc and have had several sets on bikes and trucks since then. I get enough flames from the half dozen or so shirts I catch fire every year, I sure don't need them on my helmet. My Miller Big Window Elite is black but I do have 2 fixed shade Jacksons in a solid blue color. I would like to see something other than flames or skulls for welding helmet graphics as well. I don't know what exactly but something.

Jina for what it's worth I like the idea of the outer space look you're trying to convey, I can imagine it but could draw it a with a lot less talent. I do fine with technical illustrations (drafting- the old school way) but when it comes to artistic renderings I haven't got an ounce of talent.
                        Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
                        Miller 340A/BP
                        Victor O/A torches
                        Lincoln SP125
                        Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
                        78 GS1000
                        82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

I only buy the basic black hoods, I have a huntsman and an elite, like 'em both, had 'em for many years. The black doesn't wear off or go out of style. For welding clothes I have not found anything truly durable in years. I wear the double layer carhart pants and whatever jacket the LWS has thats cheap. I tend to wear out the stomach and inside elbows with spark holes first, so my kids sew on denim patches. If I could find a commercial machine I would have them sew on leather instead. The angel fire clothes and gloves look nice, but they are likely too expensive for what they are, and too hot to wear here in the desert. I would much rather see denim with leather wear patches on it.
                          Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by millrat View Post

1% or 10%? Sales are sales - correct?

The market "ain't" what it used to be.
                            The 10% is not sales. The 10% is women who weld in some form. This may however include artists.

Comment

We were actually talking about this subject last year durring the aircraft welding classes. Of the roughly 200 students I had, the top 3 were all girls, not a big supprize. From a purely biological point of view, females have better hand-eye coodination, and tend to learn faster ( less "attitude" ). If someone was going to design welding gear aimed at women ( I think its great ), I would like to see something retro going back to the days of Wanda the Weldor, maybe one that looks like a scarf tied around the head the way they used to be, I dunno.
                              "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
                              Miller Dynasty 200DX
                              Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
                              Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
                              Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

Arc Zone recognizes women in welding and has their own version of Wanda the Weldor with their Carmen Electrode character.

www.arc-zone.com
                                Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
                                Millermatic175
                                MillermaticPassport/Q300
                                HTP MIG200
                                PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
                                ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
                                DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                                Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                                Purox oxy/ace
                                Jackson EQC
                                -F350 CrewCab 4x4