X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showdog75
    replied
    Originally posted by Wicked one View Post
    When you open a sealed box of rod you have a specific time limit to use the rod's or put them in the oven. If your shop is putting every rod in the oven (even stainless) that's your shop's policy(Probably to keep guy's or gal's from using cold rod's) Up here when it's -45c if you take a hot rod out of your oven it suck's in moisture. We combat this by using new rods out of a new box in the field, the rest of the non used rod's go back to the shop to be baked for shop use. Just because a shop does something does not make it gospel for everyone. Also if you put 6010 in an oven it will not work properly and the coating will burn off to fast. Hydrogen cracking only occurs if you put what ever you are welding into service right away if it sits for a week or so that is not an issue. Jef
    It's not about cold rods , we use cold rods when a new can or box is opened. It's a moisture[hydrogen] issue. Rods can be out for a 8 hour shift then back in the oven.

Leave a comment:

• Showdog75
    replied
    Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
    E6010 should not be stored in a rod oven. It should be stored dry at room temps. The celluose based flux requires some moisture to work properly. Here's a link to proper storage of electrodes:
    http://www.rodovens.com/welding_arti...rage_chart.htm
    I learned something today. We don't use 6010 so I guess thats why I didn't know.

Leave a comment:

• Wicked one
    replied
    Originally posted by Showdog75 View Post
    I work in a code shop[asme] and ALL opened electrodes must be stored in a rod oven , period. Even stainless rods.It's not about porosity it's about moisture and hydrogen embrittlement.
    When you open a sealed box of rod you have a specific time limit to use the rod's or put them in the oven. If your shop is putting every rod in the oven (even stainless) that's your shop's policy(Probably to keep guy's or gal's from using cold rod's) Up here when it's -45c if you take a hot rod out of your oven it suck's in moisture. We combat this by using new rods out of a new box in the field, the rest of the non used rod's go back to the shop to be baked for shop use. Just because a shop does something does not make it gospel for everyone. Also if you put 6010 in an oven it will not work properly and the coating will burn off to fast. Hydrogen cracking only occurs if you put what ever you are welding into service right away if it sits for a week or so that is not an issue. Jef

Leave a comment:

• nocheepgas
    replied
    E6010 should not be stored in a rod oven. It should be stored dry at room temps. The celluose based flux requires some moisture to work properly. Here's a link to proper storage of electrodes:
    http://www.rodovens.com/welding_arti...rage_chart.htm

Leave a comment:

• atc250r
    replied
    6010 does not require, not should it have, heated storage.

Special Metals recommends all their rod (stainless, inconel, etc) be stored in an oven only 7 degrees above ambient temp.

Leave a comment:

• Showdog75
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    Showdog75 are you also required to keep 6010 in an oven?
    Or do you even use that rod, just Tig all your roots?
    We don't use them but if we did they would be in the ovens. Because of this issue we Tig our joints all the way.On some big stuff in the header shop they Tig the first several passes then flux core.

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    Originally posted by Showdog75 View Post
    ALL opened electrodes must be stored in a rod oven
    Showdog75 are you also required to keep 6010 in an oven?
    Or do you even use that rod, just Tig all your roots?

Leave a comment:

• Showdog75
    replied
    I work in a code shop[asme] and ALL opened electrodes must be stored in a rod oven , period. Even stainless rods.It's not about porosity it's about moisture and hydrogen embrittlement.

Leave a comment:

• DamageInc537
    replied
    Originally posted by thewelder View Post
    hey the oven is for the e7018 (lohi) no for the e6010 (5P or 5P+).
    its for the lo-hy

Leave a comment:

• thewelder
    replied
    porosity

hey the oven is for the e7018 (lohi) no for the e6010 (5P or 5P+).

Leave a comment:

• OldSparks
    replied
    Get a zipdisk and grind it out. Treat it like your looking for any other repair. Use fresh 6010....no oven.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Go buy yourself a small thermostatically controlled rod oven and follow the instructions these guys gave you.

No worries after that.

Leave a comment:

• Railmen
    replied
    By the look of the film most of the hole are down the middle which would say mostly being in the root. IMO

but like the guys say would have to see the pipe in hand to check it out better......

do you have access to pratice and bending machine cause that will SHOW you the defects if in deed they are in the root.

Railmen.

Leave a comment:

• Wicked one
    replied
    Originally posted by taltexan View Post
    I cant say as to the experience of the tech that read the film. The report stated porosity in weld. Pictures arent really good and clear but all of the "spots" in the film are all shaped in a circular fashion.
    I could see the root in the test pipe and everything looked good.

Anyway going to get some additional pipe, dry rods and try to see if I can find the problem.....

Again thanks to all who responded.....
    I would tend to lean towards a bead defect (either porosity or bubbles ) are you running uphill all they way or downhand bead and hot pass and uphand fill and cap? Just because the x-ray hand says it's porosity dosen't nessasarily mean he's always right. Jef

Leave a comment:

• taltexan
    replied
    I cant say as to the experience of the tech that read the film. The report stated porosity in weld. Pictures arent really good and clear but all of the "spots" in the film are all shaped in a circular fashion.
    I could see the root in the test pipe and everything looked good.

Anyway going to get some additional pipe, dry rods and try to see if I can find the problem.....

Again thanks to all who responded.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X