scrap yard materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scrap yard materials

how are things in your part of the country in regards to scrap yards, can you walk in, check out the place and buy some thing. here in new hampshire all of the walk in yards have dissapeared, its now a thing of the past around here, they just buy to recycle, yesterday, to my delight, i stumbled upon an old fashioned scrap yard, just like the old times, I,H beams, channel, angle, flats, plate, pipe on and on, at 30 cents a pound, this place was hidden well. this leads me to a question about yesterdays purchase, its a 21 foot piece of 6 inch seamless pipe. the pipe is new, never used, just stored outside, very little rust, the identification markings are all but worn off, what i can make out is the last line which reads 6. g25 .280 a dc, i assume its a piece of schedule 40 weldable pipe, there are weld preps on each end. i have the perfect use for it, my fischer grandpa bear wood stove has 14 feet or so stove pipe running to the triple wall stainless chimney, the problem with stove pipe at that length is , not air tight, pulls in moisture, makes creosote, i will use this pipe to connect the stove to the chimney, this should be a fun project. all 380 pounds of it

Great find on your scrapyard. Some are gone for sure and some won't even let you in the gate. I have a good one about 10 miles from me that has the good stuff sorted out for resale...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

Really really good in my area!! My dealer has 2 large yards in town w/ plenty to chose from. Last time I was there I got several long pieces of new material which came in as cut offs! Most is mild steel but they also have a selection of stainless and Al. They sell new stuff too. Then theres the industrial salvage and thats kept in out of the weather. That would be anything they'd get out of an industrial setting which still works (machinery/parts/etc). The recycled steel goes for .25/lb.

Comment

dang your lucky theres one small yard ive been going to since i was 10

i found most of my bridgeport mill there all i needed was a new motor only cost 110$ for a almost new mill and motor

we need to get more of the old scrapyards back
        Leblond Makino mills
        HAAS CNC SL-40 lathe
        American Pacemaker lathe
        wells index mill
        hydrotel rebuilt
        syncrowave 250
        diversion 165
        Miller Elite Vintage USA

Comment

Scrap Metal

Plenty of yards in Phoenix, quite a business. Some just deal strictly in scrap, and they go from .50 to .70/lb. If you deal with steel suppliers, find out what day(s) they have recycle picked up, so you can have a better selection.
          "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

We have a couple here in Lansing, MI. One in particular.

Steel is 35 cents a pound & they got a super guy running it. It's a part of a rather sizable company that does volume scrap processing, but the useables yard has just kinda been tradition here for the last 25+ years or so. It's not a huge money maker for them, but they have kept it open because of all the local folks (which buy a LOT of product) & frankly it makes them look good doing it.

The days of GM scrap are near gone, but they still get in a lot of stuff. Steel, stainless, AL, copper, you name it.

Once they get to know you, you can cut your own stuff up there & even take it off site to cut what you need & bring it back for weigh out & pay later. It's the kind of place where once you're a regular & only need a couple little pieces, the foreman usually says.... "Catch me next time."

Most days, Don's got a box of donuts & hot coffee in the office trailer. Free.

The place is open 3 days a week & is usually really steady. Sometimes, there's no place to park. I won't complain tho .

Yeah, we got a real sweet thing going here.
            Last edited by 7A749; 06-16-2010, 01:08 PM.
            So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

Name of this place?

Whats the name of this place? I am in Howell, and it sounds a lot nicer than my local scrap yard where i usualy go.
              Miller Syncrowave 200
              Miller Spectrum 875 Plasma Cutter
              Miller Milermatic 135
              Ridgid Drill Press
              Ridgid Chop Saw
              36" Metal Break
              Harris Toarches
              English Wheel
              Ingersoll Rand, 18.1 cfm Compressor
              30 gal. Sand Blaster
              Planishing Hammer
              150lb Anvil
              10" Swing Logan Lathe

Comment

sounds like you boys have found a piece of heaven in your neighborhoods also, you meet the best people in a scrap/junk yard. my old stomping ground turned into a mall 11 years ago, this place i found is just as good, its amazing what some people will sell for scrap

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                  Plenty of yards in Phoenix, quite a business. Some just deal strictly in scrap, and they go from .50 to .70/lb. If you deal with steel suppliers, find out what day(s) they have recycle picked up, so you can have a better selection.
                  Dave, They ought to let you have anything you can carry bare handed in August after 10:00 AM for free

Wish we had anything down here, no such thing as scrap, unless it's in my pile.
                  Miller Syncrowave 200
                  Homemade Water Cooler
                  130XP MIG
                  Spectrum 375
                  60 year old Logan Lathe
                  Select Machine and Tool Mill
                  More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

Originally posted by jessehornberger View Post
                    Whats the name of this place? I am in Howell, and it sounds a lot nicer than my local scrap yard where i usualy go.
                    Louis Padnos in Lansing. Right off Willow & Sunset.
                    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Comment

It gets worse and worse in Seattle. This used to be a big manufacturing town, before most of it went overseas. Now the salvage and surplus yards have mostly disappeared. Boeing Surplus is gone, Pacific Industrial Supply is a pathetic shadow of its old self, and A.J.'s Iron closed, not to mention all of the bygone favorites of older fabricators. The sellers of new metal often don't want to be bothered with little guys and small orders. The ones that do think they are selling gold nuggets. Some of the remaining yards are only buying scrap to ship to China, and won't sell me anything. Incidently, the welding supply chains here rarely have staff with welding experience, prefering to hire laid-off cab drivers and hair stylists (but they do get a two week training course!!). This country no longer values skilled trades or blue-collar workers, and would rather build franchised hamburgers and lattes, gimcrack banking and financial "services," eighty seven varieties of hairspray, state-of-the-art technology for listening to repulsive pop music, . . . uh, sorry, perhaps I'm being unpatriotic.

Comment

To far for a road trip but you guy's near Albany Oregon

Burchams Metals neat web site makes people drool if your to far away, but they do Fleabay
                        glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Comment

Dave

The only scrap yard I frequent is Davis- share some names/locations of others?

Comment

By cat;

The only scrap yard I frequent is Davis- share some names/locations of others?
                            Is that Davis Salvage on East Washington? Used to go there back in the mid-eighties when I lived and worked in the Valley. Used to be a place called Harold and Evelyn's, IIRC. Think it was on E. Washington too. Best pastrami sandwiches I ever had. Used to be a place called the Dancing Sunshines on the corner of 19th St. and McDowell. Little watering hole with a pretty nice view
                            Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union

Comment

Bob

Yes, Davis Salvage. I used to work at Garrett right across the street so we'd wander over during lunch hour (that was 1980's too). Was there a couple of weeks ago and they had remodeled the office-scrap was as good as ever tho.

Comment

Working...
                              X