Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has the OLDEST tank/cyl still in use??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has the OLDEST tank/cyl still in use??

While talking to a guy on the phone yesterday about an old tank he has, I got to wondering how old some of the tanks out there are that are still in use. I looked at all mine and the oldest hydro stamp I can find is 10-46 on a 330 cu/ft oxygen tank, so the tank has got to be a WWII tank, I would think. I guess they can go on pretty much indefinitely as long as they keep passing the hydro test, huh?

Which brings me to my question.......Who has the oldest tank out there that is still in service? What is the record? Come on, guys..go dig around in the shop and lets hear about the old ones still in use....size and contents would be interesting to know, too!!
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Look on old Linde tanks and you can still find some with swastikas on them. Other Linde tanks have what looks like a window pane on them where they have used a stamp to hide what it originally was. Have seen one that had a 1920 date on it.
    Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the Welder View Post
      Look on old Linde tanks and you can still find some with swastikas on them. Other Linde tanks have what looks like a window pane on them where they have used a stamp to hide what it originally was. Have seen one that had a 1920 date on it.

I've had a lot of Linde tanks like that... my current 232CF O2 bottle is less than 10 years old...
      Bobcat 225NT
      Cutmaster 52
      Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
      Caterpillar TH63
      '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

How's about first recert in 1919? (last on there is 2006)
        Attached Files

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uehXEqm1mSM

Comment

Read and learn:

http://www.airsource-one.com/news.html

Old cylinders are for gongs, not for high pressure gas.

Ken

Comment

I only have a 6-52 but it is stamped "AIR FORCES".

-Dan
              Owner
              DW Metalworks LLC
              Miller Trailblazer 302
              Miller 8RC Feeder
              Miller Passport Plus
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
              Hobart Handler 135
              Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
              Smith O/A Torch Set
              Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Comment

We get CO2 cylinders from 1926 and 1929 regularly

They don't meet spec's for oxygen so they fill the 300's or 330's with 50# of co2. Delivered they are $14.95 each. Each cylinder lasts a welder 4 or 5 days. Argon/CO2 would probably last 3 days and cost 3 or 4 times as much.

Comment

Had a tank for my MIG that was date 1946!

Comment

Originally posted by taylorkh View Post
                    Read and learn:

http://www.airsource-one.com/news.html

Old cylinders are for gongs, not for high pressure gas.

Ken
                    There is nothing wrong with "old" cylinders based on their age alone. I have been making wind chimes out of old "K" & "T" cylinders. Some have dates back to 1913. These cylinders were still in use until being rejected for arc strikes on the bottle. Some were also rejected due to a large spread fire that went through this area a couple of years ago. Any bottle that was exposed to the fire was automatically rejected.

Griff

Comment

i have seen swastika's on some of mine.

Comment

We have had several with swastikas also

At least once a month we have one with swastikas. Sometimes they have been overstamped by hand with an O or X.

Comment

Here's a picture from SAIT welding shop, taken by my brother-inlaw November last year. May 1927, German. This is a demo tank apparently, but SAIT still has another one in service.
                          Attached Files
                          Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
                          Esab PCM 1000

Comment

The date on the SAIT bottle predates Hitler's ascension to power, so I wonder about the origin of the swastika symbol as a proof mark. The swastika is ancient and was/is used worldwide for things totally unrelated to the Nazi party.

Interesting history, as these cylinders may be the oldest industrial container in continuous use!

Any more swastika cylinder "proof stamp" pics out there for comparison?

Comment

Originally posted by 1930case View Post
                              The date on the SAIT bottle predates Hitler's ascension to power, so I wonder about the origin of the swastika symbol as a proof mark. The swastika is ancient and was/is used worldwide for things totally unrelated to the Nazi party.

Interesting history, as these cylinders may be the oldest industrial container in continuous use!

Any more swastika cylinder "proof stamp" pics out there for comparison?
                              Maybe they put the swastikas on at a later date? Linde was German and I am certain it pertained to the Nazi party at one time.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                              Miller WC-115-A
                              Miller Spectrum 300
                              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                              X