Working union in 2010.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Loose Threads"

Was wondering how this was going while I was gone. Just got back from New Mexico.

You know, for as many miles a week as I log, I don't hear the"Anti-Union" rhetoric out on the "Big Road," like I read on this Forum. Evidently, the level of maturity, and professionalism far exceeds that of some Forum members.

For those blissfully ignorant trash-talkers, you know not what you speak, nor what you are missing. Must have a poor self-image, if you can't imagine yourself enjoying the "good life," you probably never will.

When James R Hoffa, penned the National Master Frieght Agreement in 1964, it set the standard and benchmark for Labor Contracts, not only with the Teamsters, but for all other future Trade and Labor Unions Contracts.

I consider myself, very fortunate, and am very thankful that I work for a Fortune 50 Company, and am a Teamster Driver. The best of both worlds. I've got it made. I'm asked frequently by O/O, "How's Safeway to work for?" I tell them, "We're Teamsters," and they fill in the blanks. "Oh, Teamsters, you guy's got it all, Pension, Health Insurance, the whole 9 yards." "Yep," I reply.

I'm not gloating or bragging. Just stating the facts. Not only do Teamster Drivers have it best, Union Labor has it best too, largely in part to the visionary foresight of the Jimmie Hoffa's and John L Lewis's.

If you trash-mouth Unions, expect an earfull from me.

You make in inquiry, I'll humbley explain the advantages.

Seeking to organize? Send me a PM, I'll point you in the right direction.

Now, I've got to get up early in the morning, and survey a co-workers ranch for a perimeter fence.

Oh, and Reggie, This is why Labor Unions are needed now, more than ever, to protect workers from owners and bosses like you. And yes, we are Brothers and Sisters in Labor, something you seem to know little to nothing about. Personally, I wouldn't hire you to hang a picture.

Fraternally Yours: David E Darragh
    Teamsters Local 104
    Phoenix, Az.
    Last edited by davedarragh; 06-14-2010, 07:41 AM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Are you going to hire a Union man to build the fence?
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

By reggie;

Another ''Union Representation Going to Save the World'' thread.Why do you consider yourselves Brothers/Sisters?Is it because you are all brainwashed by the same propaganda,if you really sit back and think about it,unions are a mirror image of Communism.Being at the mercy of a representatve to speak up for you,union workers are no different than lambs being led to slaughter....Unions make a lot of USELESS workers feel like thay are worth more than the really are...sounds like those are the ones putting unions up on a pedistal...
        Unionization, as opposed to communism, presupposes the relation of employment; it is based upon the wage system and it recognizes fully and unreservedly the institution of private property and the right to investment profit.
        John L. Lewis
        Let the workers organize. Let the toilers assemble. Let their crystallized voice proclaim their injustices and demand their privileges. Let all thoughtful citizens sustain them, for the future of Labor is the future of America. John L. Lewis
        Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union

Comment

You cant argue with the advantages for the employee with working Union.Ive been Union and Non Union.Ive been the employee and the employer.Its no brainer that a employee will enjoy a better standard of living working Union.And that is what its all about.Mike

Comment

i have one other point that i would like to bring up, and please, this is an opinion based on my observations, and as such, should not be taken as fact. (my little disclaimer)

im gonna ask this. why is it that so many manufacturing jobs are being moved overseas? including our own "american motor companies" such as GM, Ford, Chrysler... cheaper labor.... the profit margins are being consumed by the demand for higher pay, higher pay means that these places have to charge more for services and goods, thus creating a vicious cycle, driving the value of the dollar farther and farther into the dirt.

frankly, i dont want to start a company manufacturing for example exhaust flanges for v-twin bikes to make .5 cents on the 100 dollars brought in because i cant afford to pay high wages. (and believe me, there are MANY times that my employees take home much much more than i as it is)

let's be hypothetical for a minute........ safer work places. some say that without unions, the workplace wouldnt be safe. i ask you to name one aspect of your lives that isnt regulated by some form of governing law. the workplace would be safe regardless
            higher wages.... i am from the school of thought that you pay a man what he is worth and each drop of sweat has a price on it. the companies that arent/ wouldnt run like that would soon be under for lack of workers and morale. i.e john doe workin for jimmy welding, but jimmy dont like to pay. john goes to joe's fab and joe pays. soon, jimmy will lose quality employees and the work for defaults sake. it's simple logic.. i think what some of the unions have accomplished here is to help remove some of the competition between companies and have created a non-visible barrier between employers and employees.

one of the best companies that i have worked for was a non union shop, the old man that ran it knew each one of us, our hobbies, our kids birthdays even. the benefits were top rate and the pay was good. nobody quit there not because we were afraid of not having a job, but because we WANTED to show up everyday. sadly, the old man passed on and investors and unions moved in.

this is my personal basis for the distaste of union labor...

(now, ima step off my soapbox and load up the truck to weld on some bridge parts) see ya'll in a few days
            welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
            www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
              dmk welding, don't bother! He is a lost soul, he hates himself, and everyone he comes in contact with.
              Just not worth even replying to!
              Sonora; Truer Words Have Never Been Spoken !!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's a Lost and Confused Little Boy

............ Norm
              www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by welder_one View Post
                higher pay means that these places have to charge more for services and goods, thus creating a vicious cycle, driving the value of the dollar farther and farther into the dirt.
                Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I do not believe that this statement is correct... What actually devalues, and debases the buying power of the dollar, is the amount of "money" that is in circulation... The more that the Federal Reserve, Banks, Credit Card Coimpanies etc "Create" the less it is worth... And then we have "Inflation" to make adjustments for this.

Back to the topic of this thread, I have never worked union, nor has anyone I know, so anything I could offer is just heresay and therefore invalid.

What I can say is that I work at a Non-Union shop, for a Publicly Traded Company. At one point, I thought my wages were "Low" compared to other shops in town, but with all the cutbacks around here, these hight paying jobs have dried up, and I am now making more than the guys in town are... I get time off to take care of my family (with pay) as needed, I am first in line to be asked for any overtime work, and my Health Benefits are the best anyone I know has ever seen...

So for ME, right now, this is the place to be... Maybe later on, I will reconsider all this "Brother and Sister" rah rah rah sunshine you guys are blowing up our skirts, but not today.

I am very glad for all of you that are benefitting from, and are satisfied with, your employment, but from where I sit, as a guy on the outside looking in, You (as a group) "sound" really, REALLY silly with the way you go on, and on, singing the praises of Unions.
                Later,
                Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                  Are you going to hire a Union man to build the fence?
                  I AM the Union man, and so is the property owner.
                  "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                    So with both of you working really hard you should equal the output of one Non Union Man.Just kidding I had to take the oppurtunity to wisecrack.Mike

Comment

Originally posted by dmk welding View Post
                      Sorry Daniel...

Hows a guy from Williams Lake, BC know about Allan potash mine?
                      And to answer your question, no I don't work at Allan and as far as I know there is no construction going on there right now...in the future possibly but I don't know for sure.
                      It's a small world believe me. I'm here now, I use to be in the Yukon, Alberta and was born in Quebec, where the union over there is a way of life.
                      My Dad was in the FTQ union of Quebec. I've learn very young that there is few subjects you dont talk about in familly reunion ""Politics""and " labor union trade union " to mention a few

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                        Teamster- only allowed to deliver the goods

Need a nutter Union to unload

and a nutter Union to build

( just funnin' wid ya)
                        Ed Conley
                        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                        MM252
                        MM211
                        Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                        TA185
                        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                        O/A set
                        SO 2020 Bender
                        You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                          Teamster- only allowed to deliver the goods

Need a nutter Union to unload

and a nutter Union to build

( just funnin' wid ya)
                          good! its called spreading the wealth! every one should get a piece of the pie!
                          American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
                          Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Comment

I have no doubt that unions provide great benifit for the workers who are a part of it.
                            The question is, are the consumers and customers of these union services better for it?
                            I have my doubts.

For me personally however, I enjoy my independance far too much. At the end of the day I know that everything I've earned was earned rather than arbitrarily demanded by a representative of me.

When I complete a big structure or get awarded a large project I know it was because my own hard work previously that got me where I am today.
                            sigpic

Comment

Union isn't all that much different than other things, you can come and go to employers as you like, can get to the top of the heap with some work too, can be a slug also but probably be a bench warmer for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                                Union isn't all that much different than other things, you can come and go to employers as you like, can get to the top of the heap with some work too, can be a slug also but probably be a bench warmer for the most part.

Depends on what kind of union, Sberry. Belong to a company union, teachers union, public employees union, they will fight tooth and nail for the least capable member, of that union. That least capable member, of course, is worth just as much as the real productive members of the union. Think about it, when was the last time the teachers union really cared about the product, the kids, they were producing????? As a taxpayer, this grates against everything I believe in. My primary experience, dealing with union/non union employers,,,,, is with the operating engineers, truth be told, better experience with non-union farm boys, at least they know how to work, better than the born union guys. Most of the operating engineer employers, I had experience with,,, actually, surprisining, know how to WORK, without having to check with the "union" first, to be sure actual working is permitted

just told the union, go **** yourselves, we will hire the farmboys we want.
                                Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Working...
                                X