No announcement yet.

Working union in 2010.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In my previous post I did not meant to put down non-union contractors or workers. Each person needs to make that decision which route he / she wants to follow.
    In my area there is a non- union mechanical contractor whose pay & benifits are as good as ours.
    So I will climb down off my soap box and shut up.

Comment

• Originally posted by sae350 View Post
      Come on dave... Im not a ua pipeliner but do have friends that are, and the wages are the same for union and non union. I dont imagine anything, and i can compare the two. If you go on the 798's site and look and the wages for 2010, you will see that they make 49 an hour on the arm. I have worked prevailing wage jobs where I made 45 and hour to weld border fence!
      The 798 has alot of jurisdiction over alot of the pipe being layed. But they are no longer taking apps cause they have to many out of work welders. So I have to work non union if I want to pay the bills. That doesnt make me any less of a hard worker does it? And I know that there are many benefits to being union, but because your union doesnt make you any better, harder working, more skilled, safer or higher paid than non union.
      ----sae350, you say you're not an UA liner? 798 not taking apps.? So you say you have to take a non-union job to pay your bills? The REAL thing you're not saying is how much LESS an hourly wage you make on a NON-prevailing wage job. Care to educate the forum on this, if you would be so kind. Thank you- Sky Hy out.

Comment

• Well this discussion has turned into a pissing match. I'm not union and I could care less if someone else is, you do what works to keep you afloat.

Comment

• Originally posted by O.W.L View Post
          Well this discussion has turned into a pissing match.
          Oh no this is nothing! Quite cordial, compared to some discussions.
          Caution!
          These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
            Oh no this is nothing! Quite cordial, compared to some discussions.
            very true... lol
            welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
            www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

• Actually, Sonora, this one is VERY cordial, compared to some in the past.

OK, let's review, from my standpoint. I graduated from High School in 1979, there wasn't a single union willing to take me on. Sad to say, but my poppa wasn't a member of a union, therefore there was no room for me. First lesson, unions make money for their membership, by restricting the membership.

OK, so I am shut out, what to do????? Obviously, go into business for myself, right?????? WONDERFUL IDEA!!!!! Of course, taking on huge risks, but end result I make more money, working less hours, than any of my union buddies.

Now, you union guys, think about it, doesn't everybody have to start somewhere???? Is every dirt-crap job worth a union salary?? Is every man, worth a solid guarateed union rate???? Even IF, that was true (I've seen the best and the worst, with union employees),,,,,, I have not seen yet,,, any justification for somebody making top dollar, just because they happen to be a member of a union.

This is true statement, whether a member of a trade union or a company union.

I will also say,,,,,, as a taxpayer, I am sick and tired, of paying top dollar, for incompetent teachers, lazy public works employees,,,,, for no reason. Understand, the unions in each case will battle to the end. At least, the trade unions will try to insure every man or woman meets certain standards, not the same can be said for every company union, or every public employee union.

Even the trade unions, understand economics, restrict entry, increase the future value of those who can enter.
              Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

• Twenty or thirty years later, can you even imagine my thinking,
                Reggie's thinking,,,,,,,,,, You didn't need us back then, all of a sudden, you are kissing ***???? (Expression deleted). Hey,,,,, we made a success out of ourselfs, in spite of the union, in spite of every possible roadblock you could put up,,,,,, you think we go suck up now??????

Sorry, I just can't bend over that far. Even if I wanted to. Idiots.
                Last edited by JSFAB; 06-17-2010, 04:09 PM.
                Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

• Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                  I graduated from High School in 1979,
                  Caution!

Comment

• Case in point,,,,,, I am wasting my time, right now, working up a quote on a UNION job right now. Original UNION job, was so ****ed up, had to jackhammer the whole original UNION job out,,,,, as a result, I have to go re-measure, re-do all the elevations, because of the original flawed dimensions.

DDA52 can relate here.

Typical basis for my billing, I charge for every minute, of my time, whether productive or not.

However, I generally like my billing to match up to actuall work.

Mixup is not my fault, btw. I have done far more handicapped access ramps, than this particular inspector will ever see, in her whole lifetime. Unfortunately, I have no ability to fight it, just better to say yes maam, and no mamm, just do what the stupid ***** wishes. Courts will back her up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post

Hey, Sonora,,,,,, quite a bit younger than you thought, huh???? Just one more thing to throw you off,,, I never even attended kindergarden. Wasn't my choice, just the way it happened.

Comment

Hey, Sonora,,,,,, quite a bit younger than you thought, huh???? Just one more thing to throw you off,,, I never even attended kindergarden. Wasn't my choice, just the way it happened.
                        I went a month and a half and my folks had me drop out! Graduated in '77.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I never even attended kindergarden.
                          That explains it, in kindergarten they teach the students to get along with others!
                          Caution!

Comment

I graduated from High School in 1979,
                            Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                            Graduated in '77.
                            Question: Where is the adult section to this forum?
                            Caution!

Comment

• You guys are a bunch of young punks

Comment

• Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                                Hey Reggie: I can do you one better. I get meal per diems on my trips, and company paid Best Western rooms. I've even got the one with the big screen TV and microwave. Think I'll watch the movie "HOFFA" tonight when I get there. Then I'll take my morning swim in the motel pool and workout in their gym. Sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining, if only they had bell-hops to take my luggage up to my room.

How's Archie and Veronica? Or, are you really Jug-Head?
                                You call yourself a truck driver.Wonder why the cost of food,supplies,etc has gone out the window.Lot of talk on welding from a guy who drives a truck.Must be a lot of books out there to quote from.Ever wonder why children are hungry because of food costs?Maybe due to some truck driver ''WELDER WANNABE'' living the high life delivering goods from point A to B(and so proud to brag).I call it as I see it...you react when it hits a nerve,must be some truth to my rambling.Real truck drivers sleep in the truck.Is being called Jughead suppose to hit a nerve on me,guess if you don't know what a days work is this is the best you could throw back.You must have been real good at cement too....looks like that lasted.
                                ''True genius,in many fields of human endeaver,is often revealed in elegant simplicity"

Comment

Working...
                                X