Trailblazer 251 G battery charging problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailblazer 251 G battery charging problem

Actually, it's a battery draining problem. I changed out the voltage regulator and it still discharges while running but it doesn't seem to affect the welding performance.

It's an Onan power plant.
    life is good

I have a 251 trailblazer that has the same problem intermittently, if the battery gets too low, the charging system shuts down. I used to hook mine up to the truck battery (with a homemade cable) and leave it connected for a few hours and it would charge up and be OK again. Here in the shop I just connect a charger when this happens.
    mike sr

Comment

Originally posted by popspipes View Post
      I have a 251 trailblazer that has the same problem intermittently, if the battery gets too low, the charging system shuts down. I used to hook mine up to the truck battery (with a homemade cable) and leave it connected for a few hours and it would charge up and be OK again. Here in the shop I just connect a charger when this happens.
      I installed the welder so that it would be difficult for anyone, including me, to remove from the truck. So I don't really want to think about taking it off for a repair at a shop.

I've already decided that I will probably run a ten gauge wire from the truck batteries, Chevy 5500 Duramax, and let them keep the welder's battery charged up.

Thanks for the heads up about the charging circuit shutting down at low voltage.
      life is good

Comment

I installed an Anderson connector on the welder and one on the truck, so when this happens I can use the trucks battery just by plugging the cable into the machine and the truck.
        mike sr

Comment

On the regulator the 2 outside terminals are the AC, the center one runs direct to the starter battery terminal. There is a 4th one that tends to fall out of place, That one is the metal tab that bolts to the engine. This one is under the shroud.

Another problem area is the ground strap that runs from the engine to the frame. It tends to break as well, not much charging after that and poor starting

Comment

Working...
          X