Question to all the business owners.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to all the business owners.

I received a call the other day from a new customer for an aluminum walk ramp. We exchanged all of our business information. I head back to my shop, fax him a price. He calls right up,cathes me totally off gaurd and says "how much if I pay you in cash". I told him the price is the price! I don't play any games. So, in my six years of buiness, I have never had anyone ask to pay in cash. If this happens to you guys do lower your labor by 5 or 8% and keep the cash. I just dont want to rip him off and surely not myself. Thanks
    Miller Traillazer 301
    Miller Mig 250x
    Miller 251 HF
    Miller 30A Spool gun/ WC 24
    2 O/A Set ups
    Oh yae Chris Columbus lent me his Miller 330A/BP and it still works.
    TD Cut Master 51 <sorry not miller
    Ford F800 service truck with 50 foot stick 17000lbs crane perfect service truck

I accept cash or check. The price is the same either way. As long as the check is good, it's the same thing as cash to me.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Comment

From the other side of the table...

As a customer, I never* ask for a "cash discount" and
      if someone offers me one, I assume that he's cutting
      some accounting & financial corners someplace, and
      could just as easily be cutting some welding (or
      whatever) corners too....

"Character is what you are in the dark"

Frank

* Well, not quite never ... some places, such as my local gas
      station, give a small discount for cash/check as opposed to
      credit card sales. I know that the C.C. companies take a
      cut, so if the sale is not C.C., and they want to pass some of
      the savings on to me, that's ok... but these deals are posted
      so it's not like they're trying to hide anything.

Comment

If he pays cash, do your costs go down? Probably not. Some guys I have dealt with discount a little for cash because they know it's good, whereas a check might bounce, and a few discount for cash because they play games with taxes and insurance, but for the most part, none of the honest ones will discount cash. I prefer not to do business with the crooked ones if I can avoid it, and I generally can.

Comment

If you price your work based on taking payment through credit cards or revolving 30 day billing YES give them a discount. SOP

Comment

The idea of the cash payment is that he doesnt want a paper trail from you, in which case you do not have to register the job on your books and the cash goes straight to your pocket. It depends on the job, if its a quick job to an individual I give cash discounts all the time.
            If however the guy is representing a large company or the job is more than 2 hours long than I'm less likely to work under the table.
            I use cash to negotiate discounts with others as well. Particularily those whom I deal with on a subcontract level. They make their money off of me providing them with jobs from my contact pool. But if for example I need a small piece machined for my personal needs, cash or barter for services is the norm.
            sigpic

Comment

Cash is KING,
              cut him some slack.
              America, Clinging to our Guns and Religon since 1776.

Comment

Yep cash work is indeed king, no taxes, just have to remember NOT to stick into your business account if you havee one. So if he can't write it off which seems to be the case, I usually give 10% off retail.
                Last edited by cruizer; 06-02-2010, 09:40 AM.

Comment

All of my work is terms. Net 45. So I started doing a 2%20days Net 45.
                  If they pay in 20 days or less then they get a 2% discount because I get the money sooner. Cash falls into that catagory. All of my customers take advantage of the 2%. Even the one major account that keeps trying to get me to do a EOM60! That is "End of month +60 days". So all the jobs done say during May, the money will show up 60days starting June 1. Not my favorite plan.

your business your terms. You have enough boss's stand up for your money.

Just my opinon.
                  Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
                  22A Feeder
                  MM175
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  TB302
                  12vs Extreme
                  Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
                  20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
                  16" x 60" engine lathe
                  65 Ton edwards iron worker
                  3/16' x 24" power slip roll
                  16' power feed mitering bandsaw
                  and other fun toys

Comment

Originally posted by 1havnfun View Post
                    All of my work is terms. Net 45. So I started doing a 2%20days Net 45.
                    If they pay in 20 days or less then they get a 2% discount because I get the money sooner. Cash falls into that catagory. All of my customers take advantage of the 2%. Even the one major account that keeps trying to get me to do a EOM60! That is "End of month +60 days". So all the jobs done say during May, the money will show up 60days starting June 1. Not my favorite plan.

your business your terms. You have enough boss's stand up for your money.

Just my opinon.
                    That is a GREAT idea.
                    I have a customer that does the exact same thing (EOM60)... and it REALLY pisses me off!!! I'm going to give that a try.
                    at home:
                    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                    2008 Suitcase 12RC
                    Spoolmatic 30A
                    WC-24
                    2009 Dynasty 200DX
                    2000 XMT 304
                    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                    Sold:MM130XP
                    Sold:MM 251
                    Sold:CST 280

at work:
                    Invision 350MP
                    Dynasty 350
                    Millermatic 350P
                    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

I have had 2 or three that did the EOM60 on me and they had to go and beg me back and pay me when I was finished from then on.
                      IMO they are telling me to shove it in my @$$ so I made sure they knew that they will have to kiss mine for as long as we do business.
                      I take cash. I don't usually work cheaper on anything over say $100 for cash tho.
                      What gets me is the guy who wants a discount for cash and then asks for a reciept.
                      Better yet I've had the steel guy offer me a big discount for cash and then charge tax!!
                      I actually prefer checks both ways, in and out.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

The EOM60 reminds me of a guy I once met. He was an employee for a multibillion dollar corp. He told me the way of businesses today is that they, (the corp.), would collect all debts right away up to the point of harassing the debtors. They, ( the corp.), would not pay their debts until months overdue. Sometimes wouldn't pay until services or further sales were cut off. The corp. then showed these unpaid debts as monetary income each month until they had to pay. Pretty sorry when you have to lie and steal to increase the bottom line.
                        Sometimes there's no second chances.

Comment

the problem with EOM60 is that I don't know about you guys, but we still have rent to pay, not to mention gas and electric bills (and funny they don't let us slide -they actually will disconnect!)...
                          Carmen Electrode (Arc-Zone.com)
                          CarmenElectrode.com