Views:	1
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	508131

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hinge 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	508132

Well hopefully these pictures work I did end up reaming the bushings out and that seemed to do the trick so thanks for the tips. Enjoy the pics

Leave a comment:

• jrscgsr
    replied
    please post a picture so we can see the problem.

Leave a comment:

• BoxCar
    replied
    I will post some pics soon

thanks for the thoughts

Leave a comment:

• MMW
    replied
    If you have really tight tolerences on the pin to bushing it will be difficult. As you weld the barrels they will distort & the more weld the more distortion. My guess is after welding they are egg shaped. Also if you are welding one side of the barrel to the hinge plate it will want to pull towards the weld so if your welding the barrels to each plate opposite of one another it will pull them in a different direction. Is there any way to run a ream or drill through them after welding/cooling but while still fixtured? If not then just run a ream/drill through each pc. by itself after cooling. That should help. Pictures would help us all tremendously also.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Originally posted by BoxCar View Post
    Hello there new to the discussion board, but thought I would use it to gain some insight. So I am tig welding a 1/4" stainless hinge and I am wondering if there is a certain process in which to weld it? I have a fixture made up to hold the 2 plates and the pin and bushings are clamped. The problem I am have is that when I finish welding it the hinge doesnt move ir if it does only slightly. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Yup...lots of thoughts. My first one is you warped the thing too much.
    But in all fairness to us and you and even the hinge, a few pics would be worth a whole lot of posts. Because it sure sounds like you are going about it right with a fixture and all.
    Oh and BTW, Welcome to the forum!!!
    Do you have any relatives named Willy?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Miller
    replied
    Tack

Try tacking it together first then see if it works. Your weld might be pulling the bushing.
    Good Luck
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• BoxCar
    replied
    Yes sorry I am welding a hinge together

Leave a comment:

• bretsk2500
    replied
    Originally posted by BoxCar View Post
    Yea it does need to be welded it's all in parts . 2 hinge plates, 3 bushings and a pin all put together to make the hinge for one heavy duty door
    so you're actually welding the hinge together, not welding a hinge *to* something?

Leave a comment:

• Alphawolf45
    replied
    Be sure to place the ground clamp close to the weld and not let the weld current flow through the hinge pin. To allow the current to pass through the hinge will arc it all together.

Leave a comment:

• BoxCar
    replied
    Yea it does need to be welded it's all in parts . 2 hinge plates, 3 bushings and a pin all put together to make the hinge for one heavy duty door

Leave a comment:

• bretsk2500
    replied
    does it have to be welded?

Leave a comment:

• BoxCar
    started a topic Tig Welding Stainless

Tig Welding Stainless

Hello there new to the discussion board, but thought I would use it to gain some insight. So I am tig welding a 1/4" stainless hinge and I am wondering if there is a certain process in which to weld it? I have a fixture made up to hold the 2 plates and the pin and bushings are clamped. The problem I am have is that when I finish welding it the hinge doesnt move ir if it does only slightly. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Working...
X