Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shade tree welder
    replied
    I do not mean to step on toes but I am not a so called "pipe welder" by profession,I do three or four of these type projects a year out in the field .
    And I will say it is an art to stick welding pipe,nothing you will pick up overnite,but if you do it every day you will eventually get fast and efficient at it. I do mostly general fab and repair work at my shop,heavy equip repair, lots of tig on aluminum and stainles handrails etc,so I have a very good idea how long it takes to fit and weld up pipe(handrails) ,and other fab projects,and beleive me you better be cutting it close when you are bidding these projects because there is a lot of competition out there.

Leave a comment:

• shade tree welder
    replied
    Yes that is cut,clean ,grind a bevel fit up( no pipe clamp Just wrestling it with a frontend loader in to position3-6 ft. in the ground,mud ,water, no suicide box but good tapered back slopes) and tack then weld out.Also this pipe has a epoxy food grade coating on the inside and a epoxy coating on the outside that has to be burned off with the torch and then wire wheeled clean because you will not be able to follow your line when you cut because the epoxy will start burning off ahead of your cut and you do not have a line to follow.The epoxy on the insde will not let you get a good smooth cut and therefore alot of grinding time. I met up with a rig welder while at a stop and rob and asked him ,he seemed to think I mite be moving about rite or a little to fast,Oh yes let me remind you guys its 90 degrees plus a heat index of + or - 10 degrees down here in the Houston ,Texas area,the heat alone will slow you down.Yes maybe 25-35 minutes in nice cool40-50 derees,but I am no sloucher ,If you guys are welding up pipe that fast than you are screwing yourself if you work by the hour even under contract you are literally working yourself to a slow death.Problem be the pipeline guys before your time set a fast standard and you have old school pipeline foremen hollering "hurry-up lets go "and usually on a pipeline you may have several rig welders and you are all trying to outdo one another so it looks good on you for the next project.Foreman says"Yea ole John Doe will not be welding for me no more ,he is to slow",I understand his point of view looking for production and he has all you "rig welders" humpin to his beat,that is why you weld out pipe so fast because you set the pace allready or you are"scared of your job". But I understand fully the feeling to not have work , so no money coming in

Leave a comment:

• welder_one
    replied
    Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
    80 minutes IS a good pace, if you go to make the weld, go to lunch and then shoot the breeze for another half hour.
    I wish I was bidding against guys who do ONE 8" in over an hour.

I've worn out several stopwatches timing welds, cuts, etc and I routinely see 36" .660 wall real line pipe (that is visual inspector on sight and 100% x-ray) go at an hour and 40-50 minutes in a trench box (two welders) from the time the pipe swings over the ditch to the time the trucks are rolling up. That's
    .660 W with a three bead cap.
    Another decent example is 36" .250 W junk pipe (casing) fit up and welded out (again in a trench box) in less than an hour and a half by one welder.

I understand that the inside world turns a lot slower, but this guy isn't working inside.
    If you're taking that time you are in serious danger of gettin rolled.

JTMcC.
    one of my guys makes 80 min welds on 8 inch pipe wouldnt be workin for me much longer...

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied
    If you make 80% of your living with this customer, and they think you're too slow, then I'd be gettin a beveling machine.
    That's a big chunk of productivity right there. Plus life will be easier, work will be more fun and your kids will get better grades.
    If he's told you it's taking too long then he's probably told other people too, like other welders who will make those welds in shorter time.

JTMcC.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Carroll
    replied
    So this is a bevel cut, prep, fit and weld out in position? What position and where are they located ( ground level, up in a rack, along a wall 7' off the ground) ? What is the contractor basing their expectations on?

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    How many of these you got to do, a few time might not be that big a deal, if its routine its worth speeding up the process.

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied
    Originally posted by DamageInc537 View Post
    is the 80 mins including the cutting and cleaning of the pipe? if thats the case, between cut-up, fit-up, tack-up, and weld-up 80min would be a good pace.

80 minutes IS a good pace, if you go to make the weld, go to lunch and then shoot the breeze for another half hour.
    I wish I was bidding against guys who do ONE 8" in over an hour.

I've worn out several stopwatches timing welds, cuts, etc and I routinely see 36" .660 wall real line pipe (that is visual inspector on sight and 100% x-ray) go at an hour and 40-50 minutes in a trench box (two welders) from the time the pipe swings over the ditch to the time the trucks are rolling up. That's
    .660 W with a three bead cap.
    Another decent example is 36" .250 W junk pipe (casing) fit up and welded out (again in a trench box) in less than an hour and a half by one welder.

I understand that the inside world turns a lot slower, but this guy isn't working inside.
    If you're taking that time you are in serious danger of gettin rolled.

JTMcC.

Leave a comment:

• bretsk2500
    replied
    Originally posted by shade tree welder View Post
    Most of these are cut and bevel(with torch, no bevel machine) and in position then welded to either pre fab 45 degree els or 8 hole 150# flange,downhill root and hot,uphill on cap and grinding in between passes. No x-ray but a city inspector checking every pass for cleanness and porosity and undercut in final pass.
    Our town water system doesn't use welded pipe at all... they use (I forget the true name) flanges that slip over the end up of the pipe, and are affixed with torque-limited set screws, then bolted together. When I built the " chemical room" for the filtration plant, and a year later the "ABW effluent tank building", there was a TON of pipe buried (up to 30", IIRC), but not a single weld on the pipe. it's pretty neat to see a 20,000 gal tank fill and empty in less than 30 seconds...

Leave a comment:

• DamageInc537
    replied
    is the 80 mins including the cutting and cleaning of the pipe? if thats the case, between cut-up, fit-up, tack-up, and weld-up 80min would be a good pace.

Leave a comment:

• shade tree welder
    replied
    Most of these are cut and bevel(with torch, no bevel machine) and in position then welded to either pre fab 45 degree els or 8 hole 150# flange,downhill root and hot,uphill on cap and grinding in between passes. No x-ray but a city inspector checking every pass for cleanness and porosity and undercut in final pass.

Leave a comment:

• pumahvac
    replied
    i've heard 40 inch a day as a rule of thumb. his time doesn't sound bad if it's all uphill. we do all uphill so i'm not sure of downhill times. though i have run a downhill 6010 hot pass on occasion. just my 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied
    I'm talking about the conditions as he described them, he didn't mention 70+ I don't think.

JTMcC.

Leave a comment:

• walker
    replied
    Its a bit long for just the weld, but to bevel/fit the pipe, tack and weld, it sounds right on to me. I haven't done one in a while though (2 yearsish) so I am a bit slow.

Leave a comment:

• Cornerstone
    replied
    Originally posted by welder boy View Post
    1/8 root 5/32 hot 6010 and 5/32 7018 fill and cap 30 mins tops with grinding out between passes
    Guess I'm getting old, I'm up to 35 mins.

Leave a comment:

• welder boy
    replied
    1/8 root 5/32 hot 6010 and 5/32 7018 fill and cap 30 mins tops with grinding out between passes

Leave a comment:

Working...
X