Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy
    replied
    Your nozzle should be bottoming out on the teflon spacer. If it bottoms out on the threads on the gas lens you're sure to crack the nozzle when the metal gas lens expands from the heat. I've done this before when switching from regular collet body to a gas lens and forgot to put the correct teflon spacer in there. Just a few seconds of welding and it popped the end off.

Leave a comment:

• engnerdan
    replied
    Originally posted by abprt View Post
    When I decided to try gas lens, I orderd gas lens and cups for .040 / 1/16 / and 3/32 tugstens so each box and packages are marked according to size and that is how I select for correct size for the tungstens
    There is no set size for each size tungsten, you can use a .040 tungtsen with a #8 cup if you want. No set size. I generally use a #7 nozzle on my #20 torch with a gas lens and 3/32 tungsten. Then I'll step up to a #8 with 1/8 tungsten and a #5 or6 with a 1/16 tungsten but it is not set in stone.

-Dan

Leave a comment:

• abprt
    replied
    Originally posted by gnam View Post
    were you welding aluminum? and there is no correctly sized cup for 3/32 you size the cup to your process for example I use a #5 on a root pass the I step up to a 6 or 8 for the fill and cap on pipe
    When I decided to try gas lens, I orderd gas lens and cups for .040 / 1/16 / and 3/32 tugstens so each box and packages are marked according to size and that is how I select for correct size for the tungstens

Leave a comment:

• gnam
    replied
    Originally posted by abprt View Post
    Sorry for the misconception but was talking about the cup and it is sized correctly for the 3/32 tungsten and not over tightened. Have seen bad tig torches so maybe it could be a bad batch of cups.
    were you welding aluminum? and there is no correctly sized cup for 3/32 you size the cup to your process for example I use a #5 on a root pass the I step up to a 6 or 8 for the fill and cap on pipe

Leave a comment:

• abprt
    replied
    gas lens breakage

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
    This post makes no sense.

Are you talking about the gas lens or the cup?

Would probably help to let us know what cup size you're using. Could possibly be too small for a 3/32" tungsten, or it could be that you've gotten your hands on some defective cups.

I've run some #6 Weldcraft cups pretty hot with 3/32" tungsten, and haven't experienced that sort of problem.
    Sorry for the misconception but was talking about the cup and it is sized correctly for the 3/32 tungsten and not over tightened. Have seen bad tig torches so maybe it could be a bad batch of cups.

Leave a comment:

• popspipes
    replied
    Sounds like the cup is bottoming out on the gas lens. Maybe the teflon piece is missing or youre tightening it way too tight. It should be tightened to just contact the teflon then about 1/4 turn or just snug, if forced it can contact the end of the gas lens, then a heat and cool cycle can break the cup.

I have used them for years and it is unusual to break one other than overheating it or dropping it, or some sort of abuse.

As Sundown said, it may be defective cups as well.

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    This post makes no sense.

Are you talking about the gas lens or the cup?

Would probably help to let us know what cup size you're using. Could possibly be too small for a 3/32" tungsten, or it could be that you've gotten your hands on some defective cups.

I've run some #6 Weldcraft cups pretty hot with 3/32" tungsten, and haven't experienced that sort of problem.

Leave a comment:

• abprt
    started a topic Gas lens breakage

Gas lens breakage

Can anyone tell me why my 3/32 gas lens breaks in to at the neck down area? It's happened about four times using different amps from 120 to 180. Running an average of 15 cfm and only finger tighten the cup. Today had only welded about five minutes when it happened again. Hasn't happened with any other lens of smaller size. Just the 3/32. Tungston about 1/8 in. stickout using an air cooled torch. Could understand if had been welding max amps for a period of time but five mins with a dynasty 200 seems too soon. Ground was near weld area on clean surface. Know that can cause problems else where on stick welding or burning.
Working...
X